Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    BANNED

No problem.

BANNED

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...sons-and-mera/

It appears that they've darkened Damian's skin for the Zoom Super Sons book atleast if the cover is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...sons-and-mera/

It appears that they've darkened Damian's skin for the Zoom Super Sons book atleast if the cover is any indication.
    Huh, that's interesting, I guess they heard the fan outcry and responded. I myself do prefer Damian with dark and/or tan skin so it's pretty cool of them to change it, though I wonder if it will be more or less consistent throughout the book/series.
    Last edited by RedBird; 10-05-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Nah, beyond the shine of a new title by Bendis its actually Tim that needs to be worried.
    Robins are associated with evolution, Dick became Nightwing, Jason became Red Hood, Tim completely failed to move on. In the context of the larger mythos and history this is a black mark. Eventually DC will introduce a new Robin and when that happens DC would want both Tim and Damian out of the role. What they're doing with Tim isn't sustainable.
    Secondly Tim is only hanging out with the same characters he has been hanging out with for about 2 decades now. Its as Redbird described, a nostalgia trip. About half that period was rubbish for Tim altogether. They're not doing anything fresh or original with these characters. They benched them for 2.5 years and then returned them to their 90's roles and costumes. Even that imprint is weak, 3 of those books wont even last more than a year.
    Moreover Bendis is overstretched as it is anyway. Something of his is going to stink.

On to Damian, for one thing if given half the chance Gleason would ditch YJ for Son of Batman and if given even a measure of control on YJ he'll use Damian and Jon even there.
    There's still TT and AOSS. In the former they're exploring new relationships, villains, romances with a more diverse cast of new characters as well as an inversion of Damian/Dick relationship with a Damian/Jason relationship. AOSS also has new villains. So even if TT ends it will have made significant contribution to Damian's story.
    Priest has made Deathstroke/Damian interactions one of the central themes of his run. He's already has another Deathstroke/TT crossover coming. He also teased a story with Talia that may involve Damian. Even Bendis himself is writing a Leviathan arc with Talia.
    Tomasi's Tec.
    Part of the Batman offices plans for King's Batman.
    2 DC Zoom books with Super Sons being a series.
    Batman 666 short story in Nuclear Winter Special, drawn by Giuseppe Camuncoli.
    Part of the Injustice franchise.
    Animated films that actually give him something to do.
    He'll even be a part of Snyder's Last Knight book.
    Oh and Morrison's Arkham Asylum 2 which will blow everything Bendis will ever write out of the water.

As for new identities. I liked that Batman Lost costume and Hawk related persona Damian adopted. Maybe Snyder will use it again in Last Knight. Warhawk and Raptor are 2 possible code names that can go along with that theme. I know technically both have already been taken but not like they're high profile. Still I'm sure they can come up with a cool new one.
    I agree with all this. I also like Godlike's idea of Damian as Nightwing [a very short one] as his way of trying to help Ric remember himself. That might help me swallow what they are currently trying to force feed us over on Nightwing.
    Last edited by dietrich; 10-05-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Yeah, Damian is fine. He has a lot of potential evolutions, either as Batman or Ra's al Ghul. The fact that Tim is returning to simply Robin in this imprint and that it's gathering so much goodwill from his fan is telling from the way the character is actually terribly unable to grow beyond is unique purpose : being Robin. It somehow makes me sad for him, and I'm not a fan of Tim Drake at all.

Mighty Member

Damian can take Tim. I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, Damian is fine. He has a lot of potential evolutions, either as Batman or Ra's al Ghul. The fact that Tim is returning to simply Robin in this imprint and that it's gathering so much goodwill from his fan is telling from the way the character is actually terribly unable to grow beyond is unique purpose : being Robin. It somehow makes me sad for him, and I'm not a fan of Tim Drake at all.
    It does hinder the character that a great deal of his fanbase can't let go of Tim as Robin. Character's needs to evolve. Tim's stagnating but if this new development helps appease fans and gets rid of some of the toxicity within the Robin/sidekick fandom then good thing.

Mighty Member

So true. His fans keep saying "Tim Best Robin!", while Dick and Jason fans go "DickBat Best Bat!" or "Nightwing/Red Hood is better than Batman!". Tim fans don't say "Red Robin is the best!". Just shows how much they don't want Tim to evolve and change.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nah, beyond the shine of a new title by Bendis its actually Tim that needs to be worried.
    Robins are associated with evolution, Dick became Nightwing, Jason became Red Hood, Tim completely failed to move on. In the context of the larger mythos and history this is a black mark. Eventually DC will introduce a new Robin and when that happens DC would want both Tim and Damian out of the role. What they're doing with Tim isn't sustainable.
    Secondly Tim is only hanging out with the same characters he has been hanging out with for about 2 decades now. Its as Redbird described, a nostalgia trip. About half that period was rubbish for Tim altogether. They're not doing anything fresh or original with these characters. They benched them for 2.5 years and then returned them to their 90's roles and costumes. Even that imprint is weak, 3 of those books wont even last more than a year.
    So pretty much what the Titans generations have been experiencing in the last 10-20 years. Same roster and same stories on repeat in adaptations such as Judas-Deathstroke-Trigon, characters sometimes in limbo and sometimes dead.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So pretty much what the Titans generations have been experiencing in the last 10-20 years. Same roster and same stories on repeat in adaptations such as Judas-Deathstroke-Trigon, characters sometimes in limbo and sometimes dead.
    Ric Grayson wishes. He is getting an amnesia and become his worst nightmare.

Fantastic Member

Damian and his team are going to be fine. HIS teen titans team actually works, while young justice is nostalgic.

For me, It's good to see the 1990s young justice line up back but it's Bendis at the helm, and always is the case, when he writes too many books at the same time, it would be long before they all go 'ka ka poo-poo'.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Huh, that's interesting, I guess they heard the fan outcry and responded. I myself do prefer Damian with dark and/or tan skin so it's pretty cool of them to change it, though I wonder if it will be more or less consistent throughout the book/series.
    Honestly, I don't understand the fan outcry in this case. I mean Damian is so white as Jon in many stories. So, I was surprised they have so much problem with this cover.

Also, the change seems cheap. I mean they just change the cover, but he seems to be pretty white in the pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand the fan outcry in this case. I mean Damian is so white as Jon in many stories. So, I was surprised they have so much problem with this cover.

Also, the change seems cheap. I mean they just change the cover, but he seems to be pretty white in the pages.
    Diversity is important. The robins all look the same so some of us like variety. Last year there was that campaign for a non white Robin. Hilarious and sad when we already have that it's just that creators refuse to show it.

As for the Zoom title I hope the change is reflected inside as well and with all publications going forward. It's such a little detail that means so much and adds so much.
    It's a detail that lots of fans like so why not incorporate and make it consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I love this. Good to see 0yongyong0 back at it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Diversity is important. The robins all look the same so some of us like variety. Last year there was that campaign for a non white Robin. Hilarious and sad when we already have that it's just that creators refuse to show it.

As for the Zoom title I hope the change is reflected inside as well and with all publications going forward. It's such a little detail that means so much and adds so much.
    It's a detail that lots of fans like so why not incorporate and make it consistent.
    I know Diversity is important.

My point is that people seem to accept Damian skin color in other Super Sons comics, where he's so white as Jon. However, this cover has a strong reaction.

Now, Damian isn't exactly white, even if he looks white (I say this as someone who looks white, but it isn't really white). So, he still represent diversity regardless his skin color.

PS: In this cover and the pages, Damian has brown hair, that's different from the other Robins.