Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I got a read it today and I loved what Tony told the Mandarin he would do to him if the Mandarin tried anything. Also it really just looks like Mandarin just stood there and took the bullet. He could have moved out of the way.
    It seems pretty clear cut to me. The bullet's right in front of him. He's surprised that it's trying to penetrate his shield.

It's about a quarter inch or less from him. If he moves, the shield will break and he'll get hit. But he stays in place believing his shield will hold but the bullet makes its way through anyway.

And yeah, someone could say "But no, he would've done this, this and this and been totally fine!" But one could apply that way of same way of thinking to literally any character they have a fondness for and rationalize the notion that they could overcome any attack.

Sometimes a character just goes down. Maybe there's going to be more to this and Mandarin isn't really dead but I'm gonna say he's toast.

If you're going to kill a big villain, Mandarin is a good one to go with. He's a real name but yet he's not a character that anyone wants to use as much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I got a read it today and I loved what Tony told the Mandarin he would do to him if the Mandarin tried anything. Also it really just looks like Mandarin just stood there and took the bullet. He could have moved out of the way.
    It's obvious that Rosenberg thinks of Mandarin as a Magneto type of character; the sort of character who just stands there and relies completely on energy-attacks. That's not even close to accurate. Instead, he's the sort of cunning savage who'll use the rings to cast some illusions of himself to confuse his enemies, and then get in their with his superhuman martial arts abilities.

Punisher should have ended up shooting at illusions, and then been literally torn limb from limb from Mandarin's bare hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It seems pretty clear cut to me. The bullet's right in front of him. He's surprised that it's trying to penetrate his shield.

It's about a quarter inch or less from him. If he moves, the shield will break and he'll get hit. But he stays in place believing his shield will hold but the bullet makes its way through anyway.

And yeah, someone could say "But no, he would've done this, this and this and been totally fine!" But one could apply that way of same way of thinking to literally any character they have a fondness for and rationalize the notion that they could overcome any attack.
    It's not just that he could have done something different, it's that he would have done something different the vast majority of the time. They specifically made him use his weakest and more rarely used ability, because that's the one ability Punisher could plausibly overcome.

https://comic.blognook.com/category/mandarin/
    Last edited by MichaelC; 09-02-2018 at 01:57 PM.

This needs to be a poster.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It's not just that he could have done something different, it's that he would have done something different the vast majority of the time. They specifically made him use his weakest and more rarely used ability, because that's the one ability Punisher could plausibly overcome.
    Had he seen an attack coming, he might have reacted differently. But he didn't. He got taken by surprise. It happens.

He did see the attack coming. Hence him making a speech and casting a shield. If he had time to do something stupid and out-of-character, then he had time to do something smart and in-character. You can't lawyer this into not being B.S.. That was not The Mandarin. That was Magneto with a Mandarin skin.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 08-26-2018 at 11:45 AM.

BANNED

He did see the attack coming. Hence him making a speech and casting a shield. You can't lawyer this into not being B.S.. That was not The Mandarin. That was Magneto with a Mandarin skin.
    Well, whatever you think the Mandarin should have or would have done doesn't really matter. The Punisher took him down.

And he was the perfect big target for Frank to wipe out because he's a well known villain that, for the most part, no one actually cares about.

Double post.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

THAT. IS. EPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post

This needs to be a poster.
    Quoted for truth. I would put it up in my living room.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

It's obvious that Rosenberg thinks of Mandarin as a Magneto type of character; the sort of character who just stands there and relies completely on energy-attacks. That's not even close to accurate. Instead, he's the sort of cunning savage who'll use the rings to cast some illusions of himself to confuse his enemies, and then get in their with his superhuman martial arts abilities

Punisher should have ended up shooting at illusions, and then been literally torn limb from limb from Mandarin's bare hands.

Magneto relies on energy attacks, since when?

Is magnetism not energy? If it's not, then *shrug* I should have phrased that a little differently, but the core point still stands.

Sometimes a character just goes down. Maybe there's going to be more to this and Mandarin isn't really dead but I'm gonna say he's toast.

If you're going to kill a big villain, Mandarin is a good one to go with. He's a real name but yet he's not a character that anyone wants to use as much these days.

Well, whatever you think the Mandarin should have or would have done doesn't really matter. The Punisher took him down.

And he was the perfect big target for Frank to wipe out because he's a well known villain that, for the most part, no one actually cares about.
    I have no problem with Frank killing Mandarin as the only other character I love more than Frank is Tony. I'm just saying what he could have done. Although to the bolded parts of your statements. How do you know no one wants to use the Mandarin? How do you know no one actually cares about the Mandarin? I notice people do this frequently on the internet. What it's basically saying is that "This is my opinion and it must be true as how could anyone disagree with what I have to say?" Just a little tidbit, but you don't speak for most people or everyone. Just saying.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-27-2018 at 06:52 AM.

I don't have a problem with Punisher killing Mandarin, so much as the way it was done. It was done in way that ignored that Mandarin is immensely skilled, fast, and savage. To give an example of a Mandarin kill done right, just look at his fight with Yellow Claw. Claw rigged up a robot that looked like himself, Mandarin karate-chopped its head off, and the robot immediately exploded. An entire robot's worth of shrapnel going in every direction at once, so there was nowhere to dodge to, completely by surprise just after Mandarin karate-chops the robot's head off. That's a plausible kill that I had no problem with.

Perhaps ironically, I would have had a much easier time buying Punisher killing him if the story had not been about some special bullet, but rather Punisher simply putting an old fashioned bomb under the floor where Mandarin was standing.

Last edited by MichaelC; 08-26-2018 at 01:28 PM.

BANNED

Great page displaying the skill of the comicbook character Mandarin.

BANNED

How long until marvel comics resurrects the character? A month, a year or 2 years from now?