Page 50 of 138 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Yeah that Generations Wolverine one shot was really terrible for Logan's fans unfortunately

I haven't read it in awhile... But what was so wrong with it? I remember enjoying it alot and hoping Tom Taylor writes Wolverine when he gets back

Wish it was Taylor writing his return instead of Soule, that's for sure

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    I haven't read it in awhile... But what was so wrong with it? I remember enjoying it alot and hoping Tom Taylor writes Wolverine when he gets back

Thanks but no thanks. Taylor should stay as far away from Wolverine as possible. He is too much in love with X-23 and his pet character Gabby. I bet if he wrote the return it would somehow end up about Laura constantly patronizing Logan and him meekly admiring her every move(which is what Generations was all about). Soule has his issues but at least he gives a damn about the character.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paracelsus47 View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. Taylor should stay as far away from Wolverine as possible. He is too much in love with X-23 and his pet character Gabby. I bet if he wrote the return it would somehow end up about Laura constantly patronizing Logan and him meekly admiring her every move(which is what Generations was all about). Soule has his issues but at least he gives a damn about the character.
    Yeah I disagree. I think it shows that through X23 how much he cares, understands and loves Wolverine. I think it shines through and through in how he handles Laura.

I think we interpreted Generations vastly different. I just re-read it and to me, Laura has the benefit of what's to come that allows her to view the interaction differently. She's helping to shape their relationship, that previously didn't occur until much later.

Furthermore, I think Tom has gone to great lengths to establish dad/daughter and like real life, as a parent, I am constantly admiring my own kids. I think Wolverine knew there was a connection early on that had him admiring her and her skill sets. I think there was alot of depth and nuance that Tom crafted, that appears to have been lost.

Soule to me has a style and prose method to Wolverine that just doesn't connect. I'm going to give ROW a chance before passing judgement, but his DOW was so painfully dull and lacking in any substance, that ROW gives me pause. Tom though, especially through XMen Red shows really look depth and understanding of the characters. IDK

Happy reading. I hope you are not disappointed in ROW

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paracelsus47 View Post
    I think that most probably any Wolverine fan couldn't disagree with u on that................ especially what type of fun-family(T+) comics TT has made through ANW on Wolverine Franchise and those comics arcs are almost on similar grounds like Clone Arcs or Enemy of the State that makes ANW more boring ........

Count me among the no thanks Taylor crowd. Even if you put aside the look X-23 is better than Wolverine in every way and even Wolverine agrees narrative, the fact that the hand who he literally slays by the dozens were going to kill him using a tactic that he easily defeated in the original Wolverine solo was just laughably bad. Not to mention he’s survived a lot more dangerous water encounters than two ninjas trying to drown him.

I wouldn’t have minded it so much if it was better executed or if it hadn’t been coupled with her lecturing him on the importance of relationships. It really came off like she was the one who’d been a Super Hero for many years and he was the one just starting down the path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I think that most probably any Wolverine fan couldn't disagree with u on that................ especially what type of fun-family(T+) comics TT has made through ANW on Wolverine Franchise and those comics arcs are almost on similar grounds like Clone Arcs or Enemy of the State that makes ANW more boring ........
    I can't tell you how many Laura fans wanted to see the words parental advisory on the cover of her book. But that's a problem with marvels mind set when, new 52 batgirl launches and DC said yes to Gail simone making it as dark as if not darker then batman and the book was great. While marvel on the other hand said no Laura can't be dark or girth that's old man Logan and it suffered for it. Looking how it played out it it really seems like Taylor had to do a round about way of showing her off ex similar story but different out comes.(fun fact the enemy of state 2 name was from editorial because reason and Taylor didn't want the comparison) or the overt prase from generations. If marvel was ok with olm and anw both being gritty or that Laura being shown to be as good as Logan it would have been so much better. It like marvel wanted her to be wolverine but not show she wolverine. This is why tamaki is a god send, if were right then she's going to alternate dark story with a light one shot to slowly bring her back to her darker roots and I hope I'm right. Give Laura the darker emotional story, give Logan the action packed slaughter fest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Count me among the no thanks Taylor crowd. Even if you put aside the look X-23 is better than Wolverine in every way and even Wolverine agrees narrative, the fact that the hand who he literally slays by the dozens were going to kill him using a tactic that he easily defeated in the original Wolverine solo was just laughably bad. Not to mention he’s survived a lot more dangerous water encounters than two ninjas trying to drown him.

I wouldn’t have minded it so much if it was better executed or if it hadn’t been coupled with her lecturing him on the importance of relationships. It really came off like she was the one who’d been a Super Hero for many years and he was the one just starting down the path.
    Ur words reminds of this ...........

Wolverine 900-004.jpg

BANNED

Wolverine 900-008.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-29-2018 at 02:37 PM.

BANNED

Wolverine 900-009.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-29-2018 at 02:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I can't tell you how many Laura fans wanted to see the words parental advisory on the cover of her book. But that's a problem with marvels mind set when, new 52 batgirl launches and DC said yes to Gail simone making it as dark as if not darker then batman and the book was great. While marvel on the other hand said no Laura can't be dark or girth that's old man Logan and it suffered for it. Looking how it played out it it really seems like Taylor had to do a round about way of showing her off ex similar story but different out comes.(fun fact the enemy of state 2 name was from editorial because reason and Taylor didn't want the comparison) or the overt prase from generations. If marvel was ok with olm and anw both being gritty or that Laura being shown to be as good as Logan it would have been so much better. It like marvel wanted her to be wolverine but not show she wolverine. This is why tamaki is a god send, if were right then she's going to alternate dark story with a light one shot to slowly bring her back to her darker roots and I hope I'm right. Give Laura the darker emotional story, give Logan the action packed slaughter fest.
    That wasn't my exact reasonable words , i thought Laura has her own character and Logan's legacy spot wasn't much of importance to be filled and neither Laura has to become Wolverine because she wasn't Logan and the fact that the Wolverine comics were bloodlusted makes me feel more uncanny towards reading ANW . It was clear that Marvel wanted Laura to give her spotlight as Wolverine but they didn't realized initially that OML will be much more competitive then than ANW . After few years , Marvel got to realize that wasn't their particular intention therefore they make they this rash decision to bring back OG Wolverine ...Marvel just couldn't orchestrate their own intentions in a good way for Wolverine especially from their start of their Marvel Now launch ................
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-29-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post

Short version:

Horrible characterization of Logan and Sabretooth, a complete lack of research by the writer and as a celebration of Wolverine legacy it was an epic failure and a slap to the face of Logan’s fans especially since it was his first “appearance” since his death in 2014.

Long version:

Just my opinion of course but I think the one shot had many problems and as a celebration of the legacy of Wolverine it didn't work at all.

It was the first time we had a story with the classic Wolverine since his death and Taylor’s big idea was to show how Logan was an outdated character both as a hero but also as a person, there was no celebration here. Taylor just told the story from Logan's point of view in order to tell us how amazing Laura is compared to him.
    Having Logan acting like an amateur who always needs to follow Laura’s leadership in order to know what to do next didn't make any sense and Taylor didn't need to have Logan failing at everything in order to show that Laura is a worthy legacy character either.
    I mean come on, it’s the first Wolverine story since his death and Taylor had him being beaten by Ninjas and he needed Laura’s help to show him how to handle them. Really? Is everything Taylor know about Logan is from the Wolverine movie or what?
    Then you have Laura treating Logan like a useless sidekick during all the one shot and Logan acting like an incompetent idiot who just love to whine and to repeat "he’s the best there is" ad nauseam.

Then we had the Sabretooth's characterization which was terrible and again continuity wise it didn't work at all because at the time Sabretooth didn't know about Amiko. When he learned about her existence, he removed Logan's powers, sent Deathstrike and Omega Red break Yukio's back and kidnapped Amiko. He then tortured her to death before killing Logan, she was only saved by the Weapon X program.
    Sabretooth isn't a dumb idiot who want to turn someone into a mindless weapon, that plot was already done a long time ago in the 90s during the Hama's run with Akatora and it was quickly forgotten because it was dumb.
    Also no way Creed should have been surprised by Laura's sneak attack, it's Creed we're talking about not a useless goon, he has Logan's sense of smell, he’s stronger and as fast as Logan you think he would have smelled the adamantium on Laura's claws, heard her popping her claws, noticed the fact she smelled a lot like Logan and avoided her attack.
    Then the only worthwhile thing Logan did in this issue was falling from a plane and landing on Creed but it was just to have another Laura's moment and a reference to the Logan movie. Creed is supposed to be an amazing foe but here he was just used as a one-note villain to prop up Laura.

If it was an arc of the All New Wolverine series I wouldn't complain, but this book was the first appearance of Logan since his death 3 years before and instead of doing an amazing team up between the two of them and showing how much badass they both are in their own right, Logan was just used as a glorified sidekick who couldn't do anything right and as a way to lecture us about how amazing Laura is.
    You see all those Generations one shots were supposed to help the Legacy characters understand something about themselves by learning something from their predecessors but of course here the Legacy character just proved to be a better character than the outdated classic character and the classic one needed to learn a lesson. The father/daughter relationship might be enjoyable, but it doesn't mean Taylor had to make Logan looks like a fool in order to show that Laura is a good character which bring me to the last problem about the one shot: Taylor’s lack of research.

Laura's lecturing Logan about how to deal with a kid showed a lack of knowledge from Taylor about the Logan/Amiko relationship. The reason Logan couldn't see Amiko a lot during all those years wasn’t because he was afraid of endangering her life, not at all it was because his life with the X-Men was always a mess of epic proportions.

But of course it’s easier to say that Logan didn't stay with Amiko in order to protect her and to have Laura lectured him about what to do with kids.
    Logan is no father of the year that’s for sure, but each time he could see Amiko he did it, even when he was feral, when he was dying after Magneto ripped the adamantium from his skeleton, after being brainwashed by Apocalypse and many other times not because she was in danger but because he wanted to spend some time with her and Yukio and to make sure they were okay. He even stayed with Yukio and Amiko for a little while in Japan in order to help her with her pilgrimage towards the golden temple where she learned more about herself and about her mother.
    He always made sure she lacked for nothing, be it money, a roof, food, education and protection with the Silver Samurai and Yukio and when he could he tried to see her despite his personal life and his life as an X-Man being one big mess.
    After all of that, I’m not sure how anyone can take this scene seriously especially Laura telling to Logan that he only gave a damn about Amiko when her life was in danger because that’s far from the truth.
    So yeah Laura had no right to give Logan a lesson about how to deal with kids especially after everything Logan did for all his sidekicks and for Amiko, also reading this scene you think Logan never read a bedtime story to anyone.
    Let’s not forget the "you have my mother's eyes" line, on top of being cliché and cheesy, it was also completely wrong since Logan had amnesia at the time and his mother’s eyes were blue.
    In the end this scene was just to have another touching moment reminiscent of the Logan’s movie that was still fresh in people’s minds and to have Logan learned a lesson from Laura.

That’s why I think this whole one shot was a failure not just for the Wolverine’s character but also for his fans who were waiting for an amazing team up especially after seeing the Logan movie, who liked the dynamic between the two characters during X-Force or who just missed Logan and wanted to see his reaction after seeing Laura wearing the Wolverine's costume.

Of course I can understand why you enjoyed this one shot especially if you enjoyed the All New Wolverine series but honestly in my opinion if Marvel wanted to have a Logan/Laura reunion that celebrate the Wolverine legacy, used the father/daughter relationship and showed why the two characters are amazing on their own right they should have asked Kyle/Yost instead of Taylor to write this one shot.

BANNED

I think Death of Wolverine The Logan's Legacy #2 was way way much better than the Generations ANW , it totally defined Laura's point of view for Logan after his death
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think Laura lecturing him was less about amiko and more about her projecting how she was treated when compared to others. In Lui's it was said best Logan was a shit father to her(when Gambit has to call you out you for being irresponsible know you you know you screwed up) logan praised the ground others walked on compared to her, to her face. When he found out she was trying to kill her self, insted of rushing to help her, he get jubliee first and tries to make it so they help each other insted. hell the most the acted as father and daughter was when a demon possessed him and wanted Laura as his bride. The crap she had to deal with why wouldnt she tear in to him. (Also has anyone told her he was alive ? Feels like a dick move not to do that)
    As for Kyle/Yost they never wanted her be wolverine(they had logan say it to) and wanted her to be know simpley as Laura and have her story to be one where she choses to be a person and get out of the cycle fightong something Logan can't do(also wanted to make her gay). Its inplyed that's what they were going to do after second coming, but she was to popular so marvel wanted her story to go on. Also as far I know the x23 movie is still being developed and there trying to save that, so the might not get back to comics soon

BANNED

Laura wasn't in the Dead Ends one shot (not even a panel of her trying to reconcile what Stark told her) so presumably wasn't around when Persephone popped up at the school to hear about him being back. The fact that she's NOT charging off to go after Soteira — despite taking them down being right in line with her self-assigned mission of preventing anyone else from being used like she was — suggests the X-Men are keeping her in the dark to keep her from doing just that. Which is not only unnecessary (she's only that reckless when she's written by Hopeless) but as you said, a real dick move. Then again, Kitty apparently never bothered to tell her his body was stolen in the first damn place.

My problem with the Generation One Shot wasn't much Logan being an incompetent sidekick, but i feel that Taylor was mostly pooking fun or deconstructing Logan's archetype, that's nice and dandy even if is a story that i'm not personally interested, but being the first thing that we saw of 616 Wolverine in 3 years make it no favors IMO. Also Logan has no problem telling tales to kids, he did just that in Uncanny X-Men Annual #8 to the New Mutants when told then about the female samurai bound to her duty . Family is very important even he isn't the best showing that.