Page 113 of 514 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 7705
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    It's from the infamous Ruins mini by Warren Ellis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruins_(comics)

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ruins_Vol_1

This mini was so messed up, especially what happened to some of Marvel most iconic superheroes.

From what I remember Cyclops is locked in a prison in Texas and his warden was Wilson Fisk and he only appeared in two panels:

As for the rest of the mutants locked in this prison, well it ain't pretty either:

As for the other mutants Jean was a prostitute, Logan had a severe hand disease and was an alcoholic and Magneto was a terrorist. And Xavier was the president of the US and the one responsible for putting mutants in this prison for their own good.

Don't know what Ellis was thinking when he wrote this thing, it was just terrible.
    Wow, that's really messed up. Blinding Cyke, amputating Pietro-- and Kurt eating his own tail. Still, ideas are ideas, I suppose...
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Wow, that's really messed up. Blinding Cyke, amputating Pietro-- and Kurt eating his own tail. Still, ideas are ideas, I suppose...
    That's really messed up.

BANNED

Only 4 issues & 2 months of left before Scott is in full limbo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    That's really messed up.
    Looking for inspiration

Let the countdown begin? xD
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

BANNED

"Ruins", by Warren Ellis, Terese Nielsen, her husband Cliff Nielsen, and Chris Moeller, is the antithesis of "Marvels", by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Don't know what Ellis was thinking when he wrote this thing, it was just terrible.
    It was deconstruction. Or, as the Brits like to call it, "taking the piss."

Ellis has always found superheroes to be inherently absurd. By his own admission, he didn't grow up a superhero fan. Rather, his influences were sci-fi and horror. He once put it that he had to learn the superhero genre from the outside in once he started writing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post

Ellis has always found superheroes to be inherently absurd. By his own admission, he didn't grow up a superhero fan. Rather, his influences were sci-fi and horror. He once put it that he had to learn the superhero genre from the outside in once he started writing in it.
    That era was full of superhero massacres, too. I guess it had to be a natural extension of the grim n' gritty phase, but a few years before Ruins, Marvel UK's Mys-Tech Wars by Dan Abnett basically led most Marvel heroes to their deaths, and mostly them getting all shot up. When X-Factor arrives as the cavalry to save the Avengers/X-Men/FF, Havok promptly gets shot through the neck.

Surprisingly, for a Marvel UK crossover, Captain Britain shows up for, like, 3 panels.

After what happen to kitty as a leader i woundre who will be the next fail one till they cry for cyke

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    After what happen to kitty as a leader i woundre who will be the next fail one till they cry for cyke
    Jean, it's obvious. And Logan's coming back.

I would have loved it if it was Cable. Lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke is Slim View Post
    Jean, it's obvious. And Logan's coming back.

I would have loved it if it was Cable. Lol.....
    True Cable would be nice to have but they killed him lol

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

What does everyone think of Feige taking over the X-Men franchise? I'm pretty on the fence because I expect a lot of overdone Claremont wank that we've already seen multiple times until they get around to doing their take on AvX.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    What does everyone think of Feige taking over the X-Men franchise? I'm pretty on the fence because I expect a lot of overdone Claremont wank that we've already seen multiple times until they get around to doing their take on AvX.
    Disney confirmed it

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That era was full of superhero massacres, too. I guess it had to be a natural extension of the grim n' gritty phase, but a few years before Ruins, Marvel UK's Mys-Tech Wars by Dan Abnett basically led most Marvel heroes to their deaths, and mostly them getting all shot up. When X-Factor arrives as the cavalry to save the Avengers/X-Men/FF, Havok promptly gets shot through the neck.
    Yeah, I remember Mys-Tech Wars. Scott gets killed in battle. Jean snaps in response and kills herself in front of Xavier. Then, of course, Abnett hit the cosmic reset button at the end, restoring everything to status quo.

I liked the early Bryan Hitch artwork, though.

Surprisingly, for a Marvel UK crossover, Captain Britain shows up for, like, 3 panels.
    That's because the early 90s Marvel UK line was produced for the U.S. market, not the UK market. That's also why almost every issue guest-starred the X-Men, Nick Fury, or another U.S.-based character. They were comics produced by UK talent but aimed at American readers.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post

Yeah kind of like Garth Ennis which is funny because I love both writers and most of their works but Ruins wasn't something I enjoyed at all. Honestly I can see why it could be considered as a deconstruction of the superhero genre, a comedy as Ellis called it or just a parody of Marvels but in the end for me it was just poorly executed and it just read like something edgy just for the sake of being edgy with no substance except gratuitous violence for shock value.

As an antithetis of [I]Marvels[/I, I guess Ruins works but it should have been more clever than what we got, one thing though the art was really impressive and perfectly suited for this kind of story. Fortunately Warren Ellis learned from his mistakes and Ruins could be seen as a draft for his masterpiece Planetary.

Of course it's just my opinion, and I can understand if some people love this story especially the "everything went wrong" angle.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Disney confirmed it
    I know, I was asking what people here thought of it.