Page 58 of 82 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Is the Marjorie Liu series the place to start with X-23? I'm thinking about buying the complete collections but I need to know if it's good.

The order I would recommend going in is Innocence Lost, Target X, New X-Men, X-Force, and then Liu’s X-23. There’s a lot that happens to Laura in those series that you’d lose the context for if you skipped them and just went to X-23. Plus, they’re all excellent series that build a wonderful foundation for Laura.

As far as quality, Liu is widely considered to be one of the best writers for Laura. She is one of the last writers to maintain an introverted, vulnerable yet deadly personality, and she handled Laura’s struggles with care. Sometimes she went a little overboard with the “poor Laura”, and some of her storylines weren’t very good, but overall it is a solid series and notable for building up her relationships with Jubilee and Gambit. But again.. I strongly encourage you to read Kyle & Yost’s series and minis featuring her first.

Is the Marjorie Liu series the place to start with X-23? I'm thinking about buying the complete collections but I need to know if it's good.
    In relation to above.

Innocence Lost and Target X are in the complete collections, should probably add on NYX for context on certain points.

P.S. By "Complete Collection" I assume you mean these things

https://www.amazon.com/X-23-Complete...8-2&ref=sr_1_2
    https://www.amazon.com/X-23-Complete...8-3&ref=sr_1_3
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    In relation to above.

Innocence Lost and Target X are in the complete collections, should probably add on NYX for context on certain points.

P.S. By "Complete Collection" I assume you mean these things

https://www.amazon.com/X-23-Complete...8-2&ref=sr_1_2
    https://www.amazon.com/X-23-Complete...8-3&ref=sr_1_3
    Yeah, NYX is somewhat controversial, but it does provide important background for some of Liu's book. Especially her motivations in the second arc, and the Girls' Night Out story.

I think it's good, however, I don't think it's the best jumping on point; as others have noted, the Innocence Lost and Target X stories are the best starting point. The complete collections include those stories (all in chronological order).

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    The order I would recommend going in is Innocence Lost, Target X, New X-Men, X-Force, and then Liu’s X-23. There’s a lot that happens to Laura in those series that you’d lose the context for if you skipped them and just went to X-23. Plus, they’re all excellent series that build a wonderful foundation for Laura.
    Agreed with that being a good reading list. The five New X-Men: Childhood's End trades are out of print now, but between the X-23 complete collections, the trades for the Messiah trilogy (Messiah CompleX, Messiah War, and Second Comming, and the two-volume X-Force: The Complete Collection (the Kyle/Yost run), you'll have pretty much everything on that reading list.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think it's good, however, I don't think it's the best jumping on point; as others have noted, the Innocence Lost and Target X stories are the best starting point. The complete collections include those stories (all in chronological order).

Agreed with that being a good reading list. The five New X-Men: Childhood's End trades are out of print now, but between the X-23 complete collections, the trades for the Messiah trilogy (Messiah CompleX, Messiah War, and Second Comming, and the two-volume X-Force: The Complete Collection (the Kyle/Yost run), you'll have pretty much everything on that reading list.

The NXM complete collection is coming out in a few months, but besides that they’re easily found online on Comixology or Marvel Unlimited.

In fact I’m pretty sure everything on the list would be on Marvel Unlimited. That’d be the most economical way to get caught up on Laura’s early life.

SNIK-ITY SNIKT! Pandarifically Delusional's Avatar

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my post explaining where I had been and the changes in my Life! I especially appreciated the "pretzel panel(s)" shared from the new X-23 series! MUCH APPRECIATED! Super big hugs to all!

So, I am starting to feel somewhat better mentally and emotionally. Not perfect, but really who among us is, hmm? Each day is still "one day at a time", waiting to see how each day will go once awake. On a plus note, I actually felt like reading comics again yesterday.

Last night, I finally read AVENGERS WEST COAST #2 (which has taken on the role of "unexpectedly good fun and the perfect cure for whatever ails you emotional") and X-23 #5 (promise not to go OT and also review AWC #2). Sorry it took me this long to get to reading it, but the conclusion to the story arc with the Stepford Cuckoos was satisfying as well as emotional. That final panel, the one with Beast snapping a pic of Gabby and Laura together was full of SO MUCH FEELS!

On a whole, the new X-23 series has exceeded my expectations. Considering some of the ham-fisted reboots and returns that Marvel has turned out of late, this one was a win! One of the things I enjoyed about the series was how Tamaki wrote for Laura, allowing us to get inside her head, reading/experiencing what is experiencing/feeling. While I liked some of Taylor's run of ANW, I felt he would often sacrifice story for the sake of humor. Tamaki, however, clearly "gets" Laura's character, allowing her to develop beyond "a sullen girl".

Returning to my earlier comment regarding that photo moment shared with Laura and Gabby.. For me, it felt like the culmination of all her character has been through, from NYX all the way to the present (anything featuring Laura that is written by either Dennis Hopeless or B.M. Bendis is automatically ignored/excluded), she had become more than a) just a trope or b) the "unliked" (looking at you, "fanboys") clone of Wolverine. Even Gabby. while still possessing an element of comic relief, felt like a well-rounded character.

I've been reading the recent posts, regarding where a "newbie" should start in Laura's story. Many of you mentioned Marjorie Liu's run, and I recently took it on (before my diagnosis and the sadness concerning our dog Lily), finding myself in agreement with all who posted. Liu's run began the progression of Laura, allowing us to see/feel her struggle, as she tried to be her own person, to move beyond being simply a "biological trained assassin". I dunno. I may be alone in this, but I would love to see a collaborative one-shot, or even an arc, featuring Laura, along with Gabby and Jonathan.
    (⊙ω⊙) My Spirit Animal is a Sloth. | PULLS: X-Men, Marauders, Beasts Of Burden, Saga | My Pinterest Tribute Page To Lily [2004-2018]: Link

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Trying to catch up on Laura's books. I fell asleep during Red #8.

X-23 #1 - 5 was alright... for Tamaki. 6/10

Please stay dead, Esme.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Please stay dead, Esme.
    OMG!! LOL!!! Seriously, I laughed out loud for real when I read that!
    (⊙ω⊙) My Spirit Animal is a Sloth. | PULLS: X-Men, Marauders, Beasts Of Burden, Saga | My Pinterest Tribute Page To Lily [2004-2018]: Link

As far as how I’d rate the writers who handled Laura this far for a long stretch of time, my list would look like this:

1) Kyle/Yost
    2) Liu
    3) Tamaki
    4) Gage
    5) Taylor
    6) Bendis
    7) Hopeless

Claremont and Quesada aren’t really worth mentioning. Claremont’s Take compared to what came later was pretty bonkers, and Laura was basically a blank slate in NYX.

wew

1) Kyle/Yost
    2) Liu
    3) Gage
    4) Taylor
    5) Hopeless
    6) Tamaki
    7) Bendis

"But Trini, Hopeless wrote ANXM"

Yeah but he also wrote Avengers Arena so he's gets a bonus point.

SO you guys are gunna have to explain why you rank Gage over Taylor?

That one doesn't make sense too me
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Avengers Academy had Laura interacting with non-mutants just like Liu also in Final Exam when Laura lost her healing factor it actually felt like she was in danger.

I deducted points from Taylor for Enemy of the State 2 and Old Woman Laura.

"But Trini, Hopeless wrote ANXM"

Yeah but he also wrote Avengers Arena so he's gets a bonus point.
    So, that brings up a question I had forgotten to ask, but this reminded me.. So AVENGERS ARENA. Is it something worth seeking out (or at the very least, waiting for a sale at Comixology), especially as far as treatment of Laura in the story?

If you only want to read it for Laura, it's mostly her getting beat up. You've been warned.

BANNED

If you only want to read it for Laura, it's mostly her getting beat up. You've been warned.
    She had a couple good moments, such as ambushing Cammi, and it was the only time Hopeless actually wrote her in character (except for her mindlessly attacking a Sentinel head on. Oh, if only we knew that was a warning of things to come). Ironically, most of us were more confident in Hopless at the time the books were announced than Taylor BECAUSE of Arena.