Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:
    I actually really liked Illyana/Sabretooth acting in Kimura's role for Weapon Hex
    end of spoilers
    Eh. I feel they just didn't really do enough DIFFERENT with it. It was a pretty obvious remake of Innocence Lost that loses almost all the original mini's emotional impact by trying to cram the whole story into one standard-sized issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:
    I actually really liked Illyana/Sabretooth acting in Kimura's role for Weapon Hex
    end of spoilers
    Same. spoilers:
    I really want a 616 Magik and Laura team up at some point. They have a lot they could connect over and would be an interesting pair for whatever fight they get into, plus there's Illyana's past with the New X-Men...
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    He believes in a sliding time scale preventing characters from aging or having any real progression, ignoring the fact that parker growing up with his audience is why hes so popular.
    I started reading Spider-Man in the late 80s, so if he had been aging with his audience, he would have been nearly 40 years old. I just asked one of my assistants when they started reading comics, the answer was 2002, which would have made him almost 55. Today, he would be 70. We would be reading about his GRAND-children.

Cyclops would be right with Peter, 70 years old or so.

Kitty Pryde would be 52.

Even DARKHAWK would be over 40 today.

I am not saying that you can't tell a good story that way--Savage Dragon has done it for a few decades now, and I think that is an awesome book. But it's not a story Marvel is interested in telling (in their main continuity anyway), and hasn't been for my entire lifetime.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan D. White View Post
    I started reading Spider-Man in the late 80s, so if he had been aging with his audience, he would have been nearly 40 years old. I just asked one of my assistants when they started reading comics, the answer was 2002, which would have made him almost 55. Today, he would be 70. We would be reading about his GRAND-children.

Cyclops would be right with Peter, 70 years old or so.

Kitty Pryde would be 52.

Even DARKHAWK would be over 40 today.

I am not saying that you can't tell a good story that way--Savage Dragon has done it for a few decades now, and I think that is an awesome book. But it's not a story Marvel is interested in telling (in their main continuity anyway), and hasn't been for my entire lifetime.
    They are aging, just at 1/4 normal speed.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    *realization that this is Jordan D. White and he probably already knows this*
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    It's been MAYBE 15 years since 1963 at most. The more time passes, the slower they will have aged.

It's been MAYBE 15 years since 1963 at most. The more time passes, the slower they will have aged.
    Oh, I know, I was just saying that they aren't all still 16, before I realized that I was speaking to Jordan D. White.
    On the subject of speaking with Jordan D. White, please bring back Cyke.

BANNED

Every time I see that it makes my head hurt.

Laura being 20-something in 2018 works. It puts her in-universe creation c. 1998, a few years after Dolly the Sheep, which even gets an oblique mention in Innocence Lost (Sarah comparing cloning a human while other scientists are still playing with sheep and cats to being god). The difficulty Sarah faced getting a viable offspring fits with the state of real-world cloning technology at the time (especially if you assume she doesn't have access to the sort of tech that Sinister and the Jackal use, but has to make do with "normal" science).

The other issue is characters like Magneto, whose origins are so inextricably tied to one point in time it's starting to become almost comedic the lengths being taken to explain how an 80 year-old man can still present such a significant threat. And you just KNOW that if Marvel ever tried to retcon him to tie him to another conflict, as was done with Stark and Castle, that the fanbase would EXPLODE (accusations of Holocaust denial would just be the start of it).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 10-18-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Every time I see that it makes my head hurt.

Laura being 20-something in 2018 works. It puts her in-universe creation c. 1998, a few years after Dolly the Sheep, which even gets an oblique mention in Innocence Lost (Sarah comparing cloning a human while other scientists are still playing with sheep and cats to being god). The difficulty Sarah faced getting a viable offspring fits with the state of real-world cloning technology at the time (especially if you assume she doesn't have access to the sort of tech that Sinister and the Jackal use, but has to make do with "normal" science).

The other issue is characters like Magneto, whose origins are so inextricably tied to one point in time it's starting to become almost comedic the lengths being taken to explain how an 80 year-old man can still present such a significant threat. And you just KNOW that if Marvel ever tried to retcon him to tie him to another conflict, as was done with Stark and Castle, that the fanbase would EXPLODE (accusations of Holocaust denial would just be the start of it).
    Physically, Magneto isn’t 80 years old, nor has he been physically older since he was de-aged in that Alpha mutant story years ago. I don’t think that’s so outlandish a story. Why is that less believable than aliens, Norse gods, alternate dimensions and time travel? That’s a separate issue from the sliding timescale entirely. And frankly, as the Holocaust is such an integral part of his character, it would be unacceptable to retcon it. A genocide event isn’t easily swapped out for another for several reasons, so while changing the war conflict worked for other characters it wouldn’t work for Mags. It’s not a great comparison.

With that being said. I do agree that the sliding timescale is getting ridiculous especially if the O5 aren’t even in their early 30s yet. I don’t think it works for them to not be at least 30-35. That makes it seem like Kitty, Jubilee and the New Mutants aged in a vacuum.

The youngest I’d be ok with Laura being right now is 18-19. That’s the minimum I think makes sense for her, how she’s been drawn in the past two solos, and her behavior. Taylor put her around 20 and her birthday puts her at 21. It also isn’t going to make sense if her peers aren’t being allowed to age as well and are still treated as kids.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 10-18-2018 at 08:55 AM.

That places Iceman at at least 31 (was 16 in Xmen 1) and the other O5 at 33-35, which seems about right

At this point the Holocaust is irrelevant to his aging. He was deaged decades ago before he ws even tied to the Holocaust. I think at this point his body is supposed to be in its 50s and I dont see him getting older than that. Marvel doesnt go through comedic lengths to explain anything as this was already dealt with and its not like they are constantly retconning or finding ways to keep him young
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-18-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Just read Weapon Hex. Ugh.. it was pretty terrible. A pretty lazy retelling of Innocence Lost just with magic and culty stuff thrown in. And the dialogue was really cringe worthy. “My monstrous love” “My wicked queen” like.. really?

I didn’t expect much going in but somehow it manages to dip even lower than my already low expectations.

So I guess issue 2 will be a remake of All-New Wolverine's first arc?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So I guess issue 2 will be a remake of All-New Wolverine's first arc?
    I'm banking on Target X.

I'm banking on Target X.
    bring back choi oback

I'm banking on Target X.
    Uh, they introduced Speed Weasel, remember? Gabby didn't exist in Target X.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman