Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

I'd also be interested in Craig Kyle's response, should he reply.

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    As for what change does this bring:

1) I think Retcon's are usually a bad sign for a character.
    Logan's been retconned so many times that it's diminished his character as a whole.
    Jean/Phoenix we still never know which retcon writers are using, and has led to the Phoenix force being overused and losing its sense of wonder.
    Superboy lost a lot of his personality from the retcon.
    There's very little reason to change an origin story in my opinion- basically don't fix something that was never broken in the first place.

2) It's going against the creator wishes in this situation and that seems kind of disrespectful. Comic books are a lot like improv, in my opinion. If someone says 'this object is blue' or 'it's really cold'- you have to run with it. Kyle has said- Laura was cloned from duplicating Logan's X-chromosomes, she's not related to Sarah Kinney in any way. That's what is canon.

3) It makes Sarah Kinney even more awful that she'd basically let them do this to roughly her own genetic child. I'm not saying her actions weren't already horrible (justifying abuse with 'this is science') but adding the element of them sharing DNA, eliminates her thought process that she could be 'impartial' and that she wasn't doing exactly what her father did to her.

4) It worked fine for XCU, because the XCU and MCU have to simplify things for general audience members and that's fine. But I don't necessarily want comics resembling the movies.
    It's like recently the Runaways breaking up Karolina and Julie, so it could resemble the show of Karolina and Nico being a couple. It was just awful treatment of Julie Powers so Marvel Comics could have 'synergy'. It just feels cheap.

5) I was fine with it as a fan theory, but did it really need to be canon? Laura already saw Sarah as a mother figure, why do we need to make her Laura's actual mother?
    It just felt like an unnecessary overly saccrine plot point to remove any uncomfortableness Laura might have over being a clone, which is what's I honestly felt like Taylor did in his writing; remove all emotional and physical conflicts for Laura.

6) As for the science, my attitude is, is I'm reading story's about people bit by radioactive spiders or has metal claws coming out of their hands. I should be able to suspend disbelief that Laura has green eyes, even if that doesn't make actual sense.
    1) I'm with you on excessive retcons, but this is more of a remix, as it's using what is there and just adjusting it, rather than adding something huge, IMO.

2) This is the nature of working for hire, and I'd rather have Laura continue to develop than be frozen in amber. Also, Laura has always been a somewhat confusing creation in terms of science/comic book science, with "clone" & "genetic duplicate" causing some confusion and scientific consternation, so clearing that up isn't necessarily a bad thing.

3) I think this is quite an arbitrary distinction you're making, but by refocusing Laura's perception of her mother it certainly provides more story potential. Laura's Aunt and Sister might have something to say on this too!

4) I'm certain that Anka and Rowell have avoided the Runaways TV show to avoid it influencing their story, and I'm not sure that this applies with regards to the XCU and the current comics. Not being dismissive, but wanted to clarify that point.

5) Laura's discomfort with being a clone has already been explored, now she has a new self-perception to reconcile, which is fascinating. It's not a strong suit of her previously, and she's been really clone-positive with Gabby, and now that's gone.

6) Any character in comics for long enough will have their eyes coloured incorrectly at some point haha, but I do like the tidiness of it explaining Laura's eye colour here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It wouldn't be unprecedented for two versions of a character to have different orientations. IE Governor-General Howlett vs. OG Logan. Someone else asked for clarification as well, so hopefully that shows enough interest for an answer on that point.

IMO, I think they should leave the comics iteration as-is, rather than introduce yet ANOTHER divisive retcon (the HfW reveal is already fracturing the base enough :-P ); Laura being straight, with Gabby picking up on some of the unused XME traits like her orientation.
    This isn't an AU situation, as it's a TV-to-Comics transition, which is different in my view. Though obviously we can't say how things would have panned out should XME have gone on for more seasons and if that would have influenced comics Laura, nor what Kyle/Yost intended for comics Laura from the off or down the line, but it's less cut-and-dried than AU versions of the same character.

Also, I would like to reiterate that Laura coming out as Bi or a Lesbian wouldn't necessarily be a retcon. She's young, she's figuring things out having had to deal with fundamental identity issues that could have taken precedence until now. Obviously, no issue with you preferring she "remains" (i.e. as far as we know is) straight, but just wanted to make that point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    This isn't an AU situation, as it's a TV-to-Comics transition, which is different in my view. Though obviously we can't say how things would have panned out should XME have gone on for more seasons and if that would have influenced comics Laura, nor what Kyle/Yost intended for comics Laura from the off or down the line, but it's less cut-and-dried than AU versions of the same character.

Also, I would like to reiterate that Laura coming out as Bi or a Lesbian wouldn't necessarily be a retcon. She's young, she's figuring things out having had to deal with fundamental identity issues that could have taken precedence until now. Obviously, no issue with you preferring she "remains" (i.e. as far as we know is) straight, but just wanted to make that point.
    XME is recognized as part of the Marvel Multiverse, (Earth-11052, to be exact) so it does qualify as an AU.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 08-11-2018 at 10:05 AM.

BANNED

TBH, sometimes I've got to say I'm not sure how much I trust Word of God about their intentions so long after the fact. Especially once it begins to involve hot-button current events topics like this (especially especially when it may contradict OTHER WoG remarks).

BANNED

TBH, sometimes I've got to say I'm not sure how much I trust Word of God about their intentions so long after the fact. Especially once it begins to involve hot-button current events topics like this (especially especially when it may contradict OTHER WoG remarks).
    The other thing is, with Gabby already being set up for this sort of development, IMO it would basically mean stealing a plot away from her to give to Laura, instead. Let it be something to differentiate them.

As soon as i read the tweet I could her the Laura/Jubilee fans squee from my computer lol
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Lol too true I can already see lines froming:

Laura x Jubilee: fans this makes perfect sense!

Helix fans: this makes no sense at all!

As someone who is not very fond of shipping I don't think Laura suddenly coming out would make much sense for her character but Bobby coming out as a teen while being straight as an adult made even less sense so anyhting is possible I guess
    Last edited by lucius121; 08-11-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Well how Mike choi sees all of this from his twitter
    IMG_20180811_161630.jpg
    And who his ship is.
    IMG_20180811_161627.jpg

It wouldn't be unprecedented for two versions of a character to have different orientations. IE Governor-General Howlett vs. OG Logan. Someone else asked for clarification as well, so hopefully that shows enough interest for an answer on that point.

IMO, I think they should leave the comics iteration as-is, rather than introduce yet ANOTHER divisive retcon (the HfW reveal is already fracturing the base enough :-P ); Laura being straight, with Gabby picking up on some of the unused XME traits like her orientation.

I mean, Laura could still be bi. That she’s had part interest in men doesn’t invalidate that. You’re just assuming Laura is straight because she hasn’t shown a romantic interest in a woman yet, but it could still happen.

Re: whether this would only apply to XME or not, Kyle additionally tweeted :

Craig Kyle
    @MrCraigKyle
    ·
    3h
    I would like to tell this story in the comics or in her solo feature. It has always felt like a natural part of her journey of self discovery.

Now if it’s true that he previously wrote that he shipped Hellion with Laura, I don’t know if I buy that he’s “always” felt that way. Still, interesting nonetheless.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 08-11-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post

Laura being bisexual I don't think would be much of a retcon either.

Some readers have previously felt it was hinted at with both Cessily and Jubilee (personally I'd rather see her with Cessily out of the two, since I really love Jono and Jubes together).

I think writers could also represent her as asexual as well, if they chose to since there was some debate about that with fans.
    Last edited by RoamingGnome8; 08-11-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

If we're talking ships if like to see magik, nico, mercury, or jubilee.

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    Laura being bisexual I don't think would be much of a retcon either.

Some readers have previously felt it was hinted at with both Cessily and Jubilee (personally I'd rather see her with Cessily out of the two, since I really love Jono and Jubes together).

I think writers could also represent her as asexual as well, if they chose to since there was some debate about that with fans.
    Personally, i would prefer if she is asexual.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Personally, i would prefer if she is asexual.
    TBH that would make the MOST sense given her past experiences.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I mean, Laura could still be bi. That she’s had part interest in men doesn’t invalidate that. You’re just assuming Laura is straight because she hasn’t shown a romantic interest in a woman yet, but it could still happen.

Re: whether this would only apply to XME or not, Kyle additionally tweeted :

Craig Kyle
    @MrCraigKyle
    ·
    3h
    I would like to tell this story in the comics or in her solo feature. It has always felt like a natural part of her journey of self discovery.

Now if it’s true that he previously wrote that he shipped Hellion with Laura, I don’t know if I buy that he’s “always” felt that way. Still, interesting nonetheless.
    I agree, bi is also an option, and it's one that always gets overlooked.

I'd have to find it, but there was a tweet (I THINK it was last year) where someone asked him who he would hook Laura up with if he was in control, and he responded that it would be Hellion. If this was something he "always" planned it strikes me that would have been the time to say it.

Anyway, I had to bow out of the conversation on Twitter. Someone threw out the, "Well you must be a homophobe" card, and there's simply no point in trying to debate someone who pulls that sort of ad hominim strawman.

TBH that would make the MOST sense given her past experiences.
    Yeah, that's partially why i prefer to see her in that way.