Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I wonder how Laura will react to spoilers:
    dakens death (they took the wrong son of Logan)
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 08-15-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    I agree with WebLurker; I feel like NYX hasn't aged well and that story was more focused on sexualization than exploring the issue of sex trafficking and sexual abuse.

I think ultimately it was Liu who handled the subject matter respectfully.

I'm kind of neutral about the plot point- while I think it CAN be used to analyze those kinds of issues and make a really great story (Like when Liu had Laura and Jubilee go after traffickers); I'm not overly sad when writers avoid bringing up that plot point other than I really liked Kiden, because that storyline is heavily tied to Laura being sexualized despite being a teenager.
    Well, it's not the defining trait of the character, nor is it the only story to tell about her, so it doesn't need to be constantly brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I wonder how Laura will react to spoilers:
    dakens death (they took the wrong son of Logan)
    end of spoilers
    Where did that happen?

spoilers:
    They might not show a reaction (series can be pretty compartmentalized), but I can't see her taking it very well.)
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by WebLurker; 08-15-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, it's not the defining trait of the character, nor is it the only story to tell about her, so it doesn't need to be constantly brought up.

Where did that happen?

spoilers:
    They might not show a reaction (series can be pretty compartmentalized), but I can't see her taking it very well.)
    end of spoilers
    In the Claws of a Killer mini, last month, i don't think that he is actually down for the count thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    In the Claws of a Killer mini, last month, i don't think that he is actually down for the count thought.
    Yeah, that's my interpretation too. I think if this was meant to be a serious "death," then Marvel would've hyped it up a lot more.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Yeah, that's my interpretation too. I think if this was meant to be a serious "death," then Marvel would've hyped it up a lot more.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I saw a variant of X-23 #1 with a black cover.
    Then I discovered it was $12.00 and slowly backed away.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I saw a variant of X-23 #1 with a black cover.
    Then I discovered it was $12.00 and slowly backed away.
    You don't want to know what I spent to get hold of the Del'Otto variant for #1 of the Liu series.

The question though is is she talking about the ongoing or the X-Men Disassembled story?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    I agree with WebLurker; I feel like NYX hasn't aged well and that story was more focused on sexualization than exploring the issue of sex trafficking and sexual abuse.

I think ultimately it was Liu who handled the subject matter respectfully.
    The whole NYX thing is dross as far as I'm concerned. The topic of rape, sexual abuse of children, sexual exploitation etc. is one that should be taken very seriously. Quesada and co. just seemed to use it as a means of shocking people and an attempt to be 'edgy'. It's just lazy writing. Ditto with Kyle's sudden declaration that if he were still writing Laura he'd make her gay. I find that rather suspect given how they had her drooling and following around Julian in the NXM run. And given the fact that I think her attraction to Hellion was primarily based on the fact that he was cute guy. I think that if she had any such attraction to women she would have displayed it already. She's sorounded by beautiful women. I hope that it's something that Marvel never decides to go with. Bendis' forced retcon of Iceman is bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    There you go, Laura popping up in other books.
    https://www.cbr.com/uncanny-x-men-1-...marvel-comics/
    This looks great. Nice line up. Bishop, Psylocke, Cannonball...maybe we'll see them written more as fully fleshed out people not just wallpaper. Not crazy about the writer, but I am glad to see Laura in another book that isn't Red.
    Last edited by Mia; 08-18-2018 at 09:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    The whole NYX thing is dross as far as I'm concerned. The topic of rape, sexual abuse of children, sexual exploitation etc. is one that should be taken very seriously. Quesada and co. just seemed to use it as a means of shocking people and an attempt to be 'edgy'. It's just lazy writing. Ditto with Kyle's sudden declaration that if he were still writing Laura he'd make her gay. I find that rather suspect given how they had her drooling and following around Julian in the NXM run. And given the fact that I think her attraction to Hellion was primarily based on the fact that he was cute guy. I think that if she had any such attraction to women she would have displayed it already. She's sorounded by beautiful women. I hope that it's something that Marvel never decides to go with. Bendis' forced retcon of Iceman is bad enough.

This looks great. Nice line up. Bishop, Psylocke, Cannonball...maybe we'll see them written more as fully fleshed out people not just wallpaper. Not crazy about the writer, but I am glad to see Laura in another book that isn't Red.
    IMO this is part of exactly WHY Marvel needs to actually do something of meaning about her past in NYX. It's a very serious issue, and for someone like Laura it's also a disturbingly realistic one. Laura Post-Target X is exactly the sort of person real-world traffickers target; Someone who's alone, emotionally vulnerable, and plagued by a poor self-image or lack of esteem. Marvel should be tackling the exploitative nature of that story head-on and actually ADDRESS those points. Like I said in the past, I've always wanted to see a story where Laura is addressing a support group for victims of rape, trafficking, and sexual assault, to share her own experiences with them as a way of helping other people who went through what she did. They should ESPECIALLY make a point about how society often punishes the victims worse than the perpetrators due to the unfair stigma often placed on them, particularly as we begin to see a resurgence of such Medieval attitudes of it being impossible for women to be impregnated by rape, and the increasing assaults on the bodily autonomy of women by the increasingly radicalized Evangelical Right. It's especially relevant post-#MeToo as these attitudes are being increasingly exposed (it disturbs me the backlash I see whenever a woman in the entertainment industry comes forward. "Why didn't you say something sooner?" "Well, but you did it anyway to get the job, so it's all on you," etc.).

As far as Kyle's remarks, you pretty much outline exactly why I find it so dubious that it was "always" his intent. Now her attraction to Julian was a bit more complicated than her simply finding him cute (it first started when he helped protect her from Emma's attempts to screw her over during the brawl, and particularly after he nearly killed himself saving her life by getting her to Elixir in time after Nimrod). But the fact remains that when Kyle was writing her, he NEVER wrote anything to even suggest she was gay, or even bi. The only romantic buildup she had under his pen (whether Innocence Lost, Target X, New X-Men, or X-Force) was with a guy.

Fortunately at least so far Kyle's statement seems to mostly be a pretty insignificant blip on social media, as none of the industry news sites have picked it up.

BANNED

Another wonderful piece by Danni Torres.

Also...

Looks like X-23 #2 is getting a second print, as well.

I am really over this idea that all sexuality reveals need to be foreshadowed. It can be a light bulb moment at any point in life, especially if, for example, you were raised in a facility to be an controllable, dehumanised assassin.

Feel free to doubt whether Kyle always intended this, sure, and I fully understand wanting subtextual evidence and well-executed reveals (not opening up the Iceman debate again here) but please keep your arguments away from awkward statements that go against real peoples' experiences. You could easily find plenty of people who showed zero outward evidence of being homosexual before coming out (to themselves or to others), whether due to societal pressures and/or a lack of representation to even recognise their feelings. Even if they're surrounded by sexy people of the same gender and even if they've had heterosexual relationship(s).

Anyway, this is all speculation at this point, until Kyle elaborates elaborates and/or and we get more content in a comic book, whether that be with Gabby or Laura herself, so please just let people discuss however they view Laura without using exclusionary arguments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    I am really over this idea that all sexuality reveals need to be foreshadowed. It can be a light bulb moment at any point in life, especially if, for example, you were raised in a facility to be an controllable, dehumanised assassin.

Feel free to doubt whether Kyle always intended this, sure, and I fully understand wanting subtextual evidence and well-executed reveals (not opening up the Iceman debate again here) but please keep your arguments away from awkward statements that go against real peoples' experiences. You could easily find plenty of people who showed zero outward evidence of being homosexual before coming out (to themselves or to others), whether due to societal pressures and/or a lack of representation to even recognise their feelings. Even if they're surrounded by sexy people of the same gender and even if they've had heterosexual relationship(s).

Anyway, this is all speculation at this point, until Kyle elaborates elaborates and/or and we get more content in a comic book, whether that be with Gabby or Laura herself, so please just let people discuss however they view Laura without using exclusionary arguments.
    I'm well aware that in real life people can come out with no prior indication. But as I've been told when arguing on the point of Gabby, (IE Gabby being LGBT doesn't mean anything about Laura's orientation just because Gabby's her clone, because IRL orientation is much more complicated than genetics) real life =/= fiction. And fiction NEEDS that prior development.

And I'm saying this as a writer. If I were to spring any development on a character in one of my books that had no prior build-up or foreshadowing, at BEST I've lost the suspension of disbelief. At worst I'd lose the audience entirely. It's something in my own books I have to take VERY painstaking measures to lay groundwork for (IE in one I've got developments brewing that may not be important until the EPILOGUE of the third book, but I'm setting them up anyway because I NEED to so the audience doesn't think I'm just pulling something out of my ass).

So if IRL orientation doesn't have anything to do with Gabby vs. Laura's orientiation, then the fact people IRL can come out with no prior indication is just as irrelevant in fiction land, where character developments and plot points DO need foreshadowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    The question though is is she talking about the ongoing or the X-Men Disassembled story?
    They're the same thing!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman