Page 59 of 82 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Avengers Academy had Laura interacting with non-mutants just like Liu also in Final Exam when Laura lost her healing factor it actually felt like she was in danger.

I deducted points from Taylor for Enemy of the State 2 and Old Woman Laura.
    OWL gave me memes though I will give you EotSII was meh

Anywho my list:

1. KYOST
    2. Liu
    3. Taylor
    4. Tamaki
    5. Gage
    Tie: Bendis/Hopeless
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    SO you guys are gunna have to explain why you rank Gage over Taylor?

That one doesn't make sense too me

I never cared for Taylor’s characterization of Laura. She felt generic under his pen, and sometimes I felt like I wasn’t actually reading Laura at all. Her personality was largely neutered, and she was bland and boring.

I wasn’t bored reading Gage’s Laura. While it wasn’t anything mind blowing, it was also inoffensive.. he maintained her personality as established by previous writers. And the build up and consequent blow up of her friendship with Finesse was a good storyline for Laura.

So yeah. I like Gage’s Laura better than Taylor’s.

I own the entirety of Avengers Arena. It's awful. I totally get the hate for Hopeless.

But why Bendis?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    But why Bendis?
    You're joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    You're joking, right?
    Was All-New X-Men really that bad? Not really a great portrayal of Laura, but easily the worst?

Was All-New X-Men really that bad? Not really a great portrayal of Laura, but easily the worst?
    Yes! All New X-men was the most discongruously out of character she was ever written! Bendis's depiction is second only to Hopeless's depiction in the same named series in "Who are you and what did you do with Laura?"
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Yes! All New X-men was the most discongruously out of character she was ever written! Bendis's depiction is second only to Hopeless's depiction in the same named series in "Who are you and what did you do with Laura?"
    It also doesn't help that she didn't even get to DO anything in the book.

Every possible way she could have been useful in the Trial of Jean Grey arc someone else beat her to it. Gamora and Angela didn't let her fight in one scene. They used Angela to take over a ship to sneak into Shi'Ar space (even though covert infiltration is pretty much Laura's bag). The ONE TIME she could have done something (track Jean once they reached the Shi'Ar homeworld) it turned out to be unnecessary because Jean already escaped on her own and came to THEM. It got SO bad that Bendis even had Quill remark at one point he didn't even realize Laura had tagged along.

And if anything, she gets it even WORSE in Black Vortex. Like how J'Son attacks them, and the ONLY MEMBER OF THE TEAM who winds up in a coma as a result is the CHICK WITH THE HEALING FACTOR WHO SHOULD HAVE SHRUGGED IT OFF. And then she spent the rest of the series trapped in amber.

The only interesting thing Bendis did with her was her interactions with and implied attraction to Teen Scott. And even there she had to settle for that flaming booby prize foisted on her with no character development or buildup whatsoever, and which also requires ignoring everything Laura has ever said about not liking or trusting Adult Warren, and SOMEHOW her not realizing that young Warren grabbing the Vortex was basically the EXACT SAME THING that led to Archangel in the FIRST place.

Oh, and she also got punked by RAZE, of all people.

Let's also not forget that her turning up in ANXM in open up a plot hole that never got filled. It was never properly explained how she went from Logan's care on a medical chopper, to wandering amnesiac in the streets of Miami.

I always blamed her irradiation by Hazmat at the end of Avengers Arena for that. Would also explain why she was bald.

That's not the only continuity snafu involving Laura and ANXM. Hopeless never acknowledged Gabby's existence, even when it got to the point that she must've already been around, since All-New Wolverine had a Civil War II tie-in, and ANXM had an IVX one. IVX is a while after CWII so as soon as the arc before IVX started, either Gabby should've been added to the book or Laura removed from the team with Gabby being the reason why.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Every possible way she could have been useful in the Trial of Jean Grey arc someone else beat her to it. Gamora and Angela didn't let her fight in one scene. They used Angela to take over a ship to sneak into Shi'Ar space (even though covert infiltration is pretty much Laura's bag). The ONE TIME she could have done something (track Jean once they reached the Shi'Ar homeworld) it turned out to be unnecessary because Jean already escaped on her own and came to THEM. It got SO bad that Bendis even had Quill remark at one point he didn't even realize Laura had tagged along.

And if anything, she gets it even WORSE in Black Vortex. Like how J'Son attacks them, and the ONLY MEMBER OF THE TEAM who winds up in a coma as a result is the CHICK WITH THE HEALING FACTOR WHO SHOULD HAVE SHRUGGED IT OFF. And then she spent the rest of the series trapped in amber.

The only interesting thing Bendis did with her was her interactions with and implied attraction to Teen Scott. And even there she had to settle for that flaming booby prize foisted on her with no character development or buildup whatsoever, and which also requires ignoring everything Laura has ever said about not liking or trusting Adult Warren, and SOMEHOW her not realizing that young Warren grabbing the Vortex was basically the EXACT SAME THING that led to Archangel in the FIRST place.

Let's also not forget that her turning up in ANXM in open up a plot hole that never got filled. It was never properly explained how she went from Logan's care on a medical chopper, to wandering amnesiac in the streets of Miami.
    Ah that makes sense. The whole Black Vortex debacle was just bad for everyone. But I can see how Laura fans would be really ticked off.

I'd sooner blame the Black Vortex travesty on Sam Humphries, who was in charge of the entire event. He's also the guy who wrote the issue that put Laura in a coma, and later the issue where she, along with a bunch of other characters, were written out of the event due to being trapped in Thane's amber because he clearly didn't know what to do with them.

But Hopeless's portrayal of Laura in All-New X-Men is absolutely inexcusable.

Basically the only reason Laura was in Bendis’s ANXM was to be ship bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I wasn’t bored reading Gage’s Laura. While it wasn’t anything mind blowing, it was also inoffensive.. he maintained her personality as established by previous writers. And the build up and consequent blow up of her friendship with Finesse was a good storyline for Laura.
    Agreed. Gage's take felt a little like regression after Liu, but he was in the same ballpark, and I put Finesse right up there with Hellion for relationship threads I wish would get picked up for Laura again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Basically the only reason Laura was in Bendis’s ANXM was to be ship bait.
    And he wound up going with the least interesting 'ship on top of that.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I own the entirety of Avengers Arena. It's awful. I totally get the hate for Hopeless.

But why Bendis?
    Avengers Arena was pretty unique when it came out.

I have all of All-New X-Men vol. 1. It's alright but when it comes to Laura the instantly trying to ship her with Scott and Warren ticks me off. Also I only remember her moments from the fight with the future Brotherhood and the trip to 1610.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 10-31-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Spectacular Member

so i read x-termination 4 and Laura shows up and i... wasn't a fan of how she was portrayed.

1. i get she maybe a little concerned for logan but not that much

2. i didn't like the way she talked

also based on what happens to gabby and some of the people turned into hounds in this issue i couldn't help realize they were characters created in the last couple years? maybe an omen of things to come?

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 10-31-2018 at 11:48 AM.