Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

ugh I can get X-force 17 signed by Choi AND Oback for $16.00 but I also have, like, fifty cents in my checking account right now.
    I really want to just buy that entire run, but that would be inordinately expensive, so I might wait until Christmas and get the complete collections, or possibly just 17-20
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

OR I could wait a few weeks and get 17-19 signed by both for only $40, as well as an unsigned 20, because I know how to spend money reasonably.
    But yeah. Legit might do that.

but of course the bloody variant is $275, and there's no way in hell I'm dropping that kind of cash.
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Edit: No, nothing in the original story invalidates the retcon, anymore then anything in the original Star Trek show disproves that there had been a previous starship Enterprise.
    I have no idea the rational you used to reach that conclusion, nor am I enough a Trekkie to know what would or would not disprove an existence of previous enterprise in the original Star Trek, but I am aware of a salient difference in this comparison; the enterprise thing is an irrelevant bit of trivia, where as this is the underling rational for her existence as is.

The Henry Sutter age discrepancy would be closer to that comparison in relevance, this more like them deciding Darth Vader really wasn't Lukes father after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    OR I could wait a few weeks and get 17-19 signed by both for only $40, as well as an unsigned 20, because I know how to spend money reasonably.
    But yeah. Legit might do that.

but of course the bloody variant is $275, and there's no way in hell I'm dropping that kind of cash.
    I'll never understand why people just don't stick to trades.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I have no idea the rational you used to reach that conclusion, nor am I enough a Trekkie to know what would or would not disprove an existence of previous enterprise in the original Star Trek, but I am aware of a salient difference in this comparison; the enterprise thing is an irrelevant bit of trivia, where as this is the underling rational for her existence as is.

The Henry Sutter age discrepancy would be closer to that comparison in relevance, this more like them deciding Darth Vader really wasn't Lukes father after all.

Trades can't lie flat. The art gets all distorted in the middle. IMO, it's just not the same reading experience, although trades are still good.
    I'm not quite sure why, but the actual issues are just... different somehow.
    Last edited by Gambit, King of Thieves; 08-30-2018 at 06:06 AM.

I reached this rational, since the original story never stated how Laura's genome was created beyond the "doubling the X chromosome" process. There's nothing to say that additional DNA was spliced in Jurassic Park-style (in fact, the story makes a big deal about how the DNA sample needed to be repaired and re-built to create a functional strand for cloning). The only source to outright contradict Taylor's story is Craig Kyle's statement of his intents that the X-23 genome was only made of Wolverine DNA, but that never made it into continuity in the first place.

So, to use a Star Trek example again, as I see it, this idea that the Adamatium Agenda violates Innocence Lost holds as much water as the idea that Enterprise contradicted Mr. Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet (a "fact" that never existed in canon). On top of that, the reveal doesn't really change anything anyways; we always knew Laura was a modified clone in the first place and from a narrative standpoint, the important thing is that she was artificially created in a lab and dehumanized as a result. Disagree if you will, but does it at least make sense why some of us see the retcon as really changing nothing in terms of the important stuff in the character's past?

I do, for the most part.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I reached this rational, since the original story never stated how Laura's genome was created beyond the "doubling the X chromosome" process. There's nothing to say that additional DNA was spliced in Jurassic Park-style (in fact, the story makes a big deal about how the DNA sample needed to be repaired and re-built to create a functional strand for cloning). The only source to outright contradict Taylor's story is Craig Kyle's statement of his intents that the X-23 genome was only made of Wolverine DNA, but that never made it into continuity in the first place.

So, to use a Star Trek example again, as I see it, this idea that the Adamatium Agenda violates Innocence Lost holds as much water as the idea that Enterprise contradicted Mr. Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet (a "fact" that never existed in canon). On top of that, the reveal doesn't really change anything anyways; we always knew Laura was a modified clone in the first place and from a narrative standpoint, the important thing is that she was artificially created in a lab and dehumanized as a result. Disagree if you will, but does it at least make sense why some of us see the retcon as really changing nothing in terms of the important stuff in the character's past?
    Why do I bother saying anything when clearly nobody is listening?

To repeat what I have already said, other then the outright definition of cloning, pages 11 and 12 clearly illustrate the level to which the reconstruction is taking place, which they were doing by mapping it to wolverines genome, and reconstructing it on it's most basic level. Lets add on Page 15 were Sutter and Rice were incised at the idea of any deviation and Sutter says "there will be no deviation from the original specimen".

The entire purpose of duplicating the X chromosome was to bypass the damage, if they had no problem just splicing in DNA it would defeat the purpose of duplicating the X chromosome and making her female in the first place.

If you don't care if doesn't strictly make sense, that is your prerogative.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

With x teams being disbanded or shifting around in the near future it would be cool if Laura could take a leadership role on a team. A new X-Force books would be right up her alley.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    With x teams being disbanded or shifting around in the near future it would be cool if Laura could take a leadership role on a team. A new X-Force books would be right up her alley.
    Agreed, she's long overdue for a leadership role of her own.

Why do I bother saying anything when clearly nobody is listening?

To repeat what I have already said, other then the outright definition of cloning, pages 11 and 12 clearly illustrate the level to which the reconstruction is taking place, which they were doing by mapping it to wolverines genome, and reconstructing it on it's most basic level. Lets add on Page 15 were Sutter and Rice were incised at the idea of any deviation and Sutter says "there will be no deviation from the original specimen".

The entire purpose of duplicating the X chromosome was to bypass the damage, if they had no problem just splicing in DNA it would defeat the purpose of duplicating the X chromosome and making her female in the first place.

If you don't care if doesn't strictly make sense, that is your prerogative.

Frankly I agree with everything you’ve said on the topic, especially about how much worse this makes Sarah appear in hindsight.

The retcon doesn’t work unless you purposely ignore key parts of that story because you like the (unnecessary) retcon. People are also pointing to how Laura was drawn similarly to Sarah, but a) All women had the same face in Innocence Lost and B) While I offhand don’t know the reason why Laura was given green eyes, Kyle has made it clear that it wasn’t because of Sarah’s genetics.

It’s fine if someone likes this turn of events but let’s not pretend it’s compatible with the original story as it was written.

yes I've said this give me X-Force led by Laura.
    and BRING BACK CHOI/OBACK

A leadership role would be interesting to see (especially if was the NXM given their history) on the whole fact while not doubt she would an effective leader tactically...I just see their being so many problems with her taking on the emotional aspect of being a leader...ie her team not gelling with her
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    A leadership role would be interesting to see (especially if was the NXM given their history) on the whole fact while not doubt she would an effective leader tactically...I just see their being so many problems with her taking on the emotional aspect of being a leader...ie her team not gelling with her
    Exactly. She's an effective fighter and tactician. But leadership is more than that. The issue is that her mentor never got that memo either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post

Which would make it very interesting! I think Laura has shown she has leadership qualities, but she doesn’t have a lot of experience. Her figuring out how to make it work with a team of difficult personalities would be a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Which would make it very interesting! I think Laura has shown she has leadership qualities, but she doesn’t have a lot of experience. Her figuring out how to make it work with a team of difficult personalities would be a great read.
    It would be a car crash waiting to happen, but damn if it wouldn't' be an entertaining
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Look at how she took charge during Immune. I mean she even had Deadpool (more or less) falling in line.