Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

The last three issues of ANW no longer make sense at all. How can she have clone degeneration if she's not a clone?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The last three issues of ANW no longer make sense at all. How can she have clone degeneration if she's not a clone?
    Alternate Universe. Laura was still Wolverine when the Villain Uprising occurred, meaning Logan never returned, so Adamantium Agenda didn't happen, and she never learned about this. Or in that particular universe Sarah DIDN'T use her own genetic material.

And it still doesn't rule out genetic damage as part of the IVF process.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 08-08-2018 at 11:24 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Alternate Future. And Laura self-diagnosed herself with it. The Wolverines' healing powers switch off at certain times in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    its not a excuse logan had blue eyes are a recessive gene, laura has green eyes thats a dominate gene. the green eyes had to come from a someone else. the chromosome change gives her a mini of 2% (with a possible increase depending on if the process of her development had any dominate genes from Sarah taking the place of any recessive genes from logan during her development in addition it was never stated if other alternation were made to her.) you cant be a clone if there is any different from the original and laura even without this change being female cant be defined as a clone. i feel like this was meant to be a entire arc in all new wolverine that fleshed out sarah character and give us more info on the facility(specally if its still around) but was added in hear. sarahs actions can be explained if she valued work more and slowly came to acknolage laura, not telling her would work if if she felt knowing this would push laura away. this needed not only setup but a arc explaining the entire process of her creation. and i think it will just have sarah having some dna not being her full mother. i need to see how this effects Tamaki work because if she wasn't informed then this is throwing a wrench in to her work.

also with her being now just one of logans kids, she was still produced as a product, the ones from red right hand have been all but retconed out, the other unmention are presumed as well, no one cares about jimmy, and daken is apperantly dying in claws 4. so shes the only one left.
    Wow, That is a difficult to read mess. (Sigh) I am just repeating myself at this point.

Comic book science is not real world science. Comic book genetics is not real world genetics. Colleen Wing should not have that natural vibrantly red hair... also genetics can not account for portals from other dimensions of pure kinetic energy in their eyes, that is somehow stopped by ruby quartz. In this context, yes, the eye thing is a stupid excuse.

With the science of Laura's origin however they did a interesting thing, they defined their terms. She is not a clone, she is a genetic twin, which means genetically identical except they replaced the Y chromosome by doubling the existing X chromosome, people just call her clone for simplicity's sake.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Alternate Universe. Laura was still Wolverine when the Villain Uprising occurred, meaning Logan never returned, so Adamantium Agenda didn't happen, and she never learned about this. Or in that particular universe Sarah DIDN'T use her own genetic material.

And it still doesn't rule out genetic damage as part of the IVF process.
    what if the degeneration is because she has sarah's dna and logan's dna was attacking it. since marvel has clone degeneration as cells breaking down, logan attacking saras as the result of a flaw in her creation has some logic.

ill say it again this needs a wordy detailed arc showing her deal with this reveal and breaking down how she was made.

Let’s do a poll. What do people prefer? Female clone of Logan (with Sarah Kinney as surrogate) or IVF daughter of Logan and Sarah Kinney.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16234247
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

This explains why Laura looks so much like Sarah, but aside from that it doesn't really add anything to Laura's character at all. Laura already treat Logan like her father and has been doing so since ANW began. It will be interesting if this get's followed through by other writers or gets retconned later on.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    This explains why Laura looks so much like Sarah, but aside from that it doesn't really add anything to Laura's character at all. Laura already treat Logan like her father and has been doing so since ANW began. It will be interesting if this get's followed through by other writers or gets retconned later on.
    I tend to agree, it doesn’t really change anything. I just hope it doesn’t f up what’s going on in x-23.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Let’s do a poll. What do people prefer? Female clone of Logan (with Sarah Kinney as surrogate) or IVF daughter of Logan and Sarah Kinney.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16234247
    You do know that this reveal dosent confirm she is a IVF daughter, all it does is revile that the damage chromosome was replaced with one from Sara and that's why she has green eyes and some of Sara's DNA

Astonishing Member

Double post.

You do know that this reveal dosent confirm she is a IVF daughter, all it does is revile that the damage chromosome was replaced with one from Sara and that's why she has green eyes and some of Sara's DNA
    No, Tony said she was as much Sarah as Logan.

Now they could play that as hyperbole or a misreading, and it gets re-framed as just a little genetic spackling (I hope they do that.), but as of the moment she Sarah's biological daughter.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    No, Tony said she was as much Sarah as Logan.

Now they could play that as hyperbole or a misreading, and it gets re-framed as just a little genetic spackling (I hope they do that.), but as of the moment she Sarah's biological daughter.
    They made a effort to say it was only a quick glance. It will probably be reviled as to much different to be a clone or sibling so daughter is the most correct term. We need a storyline dealing with this just to work out all the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    When did he say that? If he did, I very much hope Marvel heeds that rule. This retcon basically changes Laura from being a clone to being an IVF kid. Something not at all uncommon in the real world.
    It was in the previous X-23 appreciation thread. He was referring to Liu's retcon of Laura sparing people in addition to Henry Sutter, but really it would apply to anything.

Here's what he said:

I haven't visited these boards in a long time, but this conversation drew me back in. Ambaryerno, you've got it all right. Laura's origin as told by Yost, Tan, Choi, Oback and me is the only version of those events. Any attempts to reimagine, change or retcon those stories should be ignored. I didn't mess with Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X story when I crafted Laura's origin, and I expect that same level of respect and care extended to Laura and me. So, rest assured, if it didn't happen in the original pages of Innocence Lost and Target X, it didn't happen at all.

BANNED

They made a effort to say it was only a quick glance. It will probably be reviled as to much different to be a clone or sibling so daughter is the most correct term. We need a storyline dealing with this just to work out all the questions.
    This is the big thing no one seems to be taking away: This is only the first reveal and we haven't seen HOW this is going to affect her going forward. As I've already said, for all we know Laura is going to be even MORE confused and unsure of how to reconcile it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This is the big thing no one seems to be taking away: This is only the first reveal and we haven't seen HOW this is going to affect her going forward. As I've already said, for all we know Laura is going to be even MORE confused and unsure of how to reconcile it.
    Come to think about it the doctor she looking for in x23 is implied to have created gabby and the sisters using data from the x23 program, I think another reasion she's looking for her it to know the exact details of how she was made and invistagate this further, I doubt she'd take starks word as fact with checking it out.this identity crisis could play in to why she going by x23.

Also I wonder how gabby will react to this.