Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    She has definitely been inconsistent especially in X-men Gold where we were told she got a power upgrade but then proceeded to get nerfed in nearly every battle. The character has had it rough lately. I hope she has a moment to shine in X-men Red. I can see Rachel and Jean working together to defeat Cassandra in the end?
    Nah. She's gonna be Teen Abomination II: The Character Made Out To be a Major Threat that's defeated in five pages.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    One of the biggest missed opportunities of X-Men Gold is the Prestige callsign. Rachel should have had a journey of self-discovery, a trip through her past identities, a challenge against her inner demons that still plague her: the ghost of Earth-811, her time as an X-Man, all the apocalyptic futures she had to avert or see since her own hellhole future, and reflect on them to finally become Prestige. Sure, I'd still hate the name, but I would like the effort.

Or just have Kitty slap her with a dumb name and dumb costume and be done with it all because who cares about Rachel when we can go through X-Men cliche number 10^8
    There was so much potential for her going into Gold, I legitimately couldn't have imagined he'd use her so utterly awful. Of all the things he spoke on regarding her in the past and leading up I thought he understood what and why Rachel hadn't been able to make it to the next level. He misinterpreted that her connections to her past were what was wrong when in actuality it was retreads. She needed a strong and consistent direction that perhaps other writers might look at and hopefully start using her similarly.

Unfortunately, he left her in a state worse than she's been in for decades, I honestly believe he was the worst writer especially on a flagship title to use her. I can't think of a singular issue where she was used worst and that's including Claremont's R'chel!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Nah. She's gonna be Teen Abomination II: The Character Made Out To be a Major Threat that's defeated in five pages.
    I've considered that as well. Same happened with Storm. I don't want to see that. I want to see Jean have a struggle with the first major fight with Cassandra. I want to see Rachel give Jean some problems. But... I guess we will see how it plays out. It will likely play out differently than what I would like to see.

If Jean simply turns off any psychic suggestion in Rachel it would be very disappointing.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Basically. I do think Taylor might have a better handle on Rachel than others, but lately it's almost like the post-it note attached to using Rachel is "supposedly uber-powerful but easily nerfed to make your threat seem valid".

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    There was so much potential for her going into Gold, I legitimately couldn't have imagined he'd use her so utterly awful. Of all the things he spoke on regarding her in the past and leading up I thought he understood what and why Rachel hadn't been able to make it to the next level. He misinterpreted that her connections to her past were what was wrong when in actuality it was retreads. She needed a strong and consistent direction that perhaps other writers might look at and hopefully start using her similarly.

Unfortunately, he left her in a state worse than she's been in for decades, I honestly believe he was the worst writer especially on a flagship title to use her. I can't think of a singular issue where she was used worst and that's including Claremont's R'chel!
    It's really sad, as I loved Guggenheim's take on Rachel in the "X-Tinction Agenda" portion of Secret Wars. So I actually had some hope going in, but her just decimated her character. He defined her as being a flailing tp and tk user who can't handle the smallest of threats and easily overcome. I agree, I thought Claremont's destruction of her characterization going into "Reload" was awful, but Gold was a train wreck Rachel of all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I've considered that as well. Same happened with Storm. I don't want to see that. I want to see Jean have a struggle with the first major fight with Cassandra. I want to see Rachel give Jean some problems. But... I guess we will see how it plays out. It will likely play out differently than what I would like to see.

If Jean simply turns off any psychic suggestion in Rachel it would be very disappointing.
    The build-up to this "Grey showdown" is likely to result in a multi-page build-up to a singular move by Jean that will take out Rachel and cast Cassie out of her head. Ray might not even get a punch in, or seemingly pose a threat to Jean, because it doesn't fit the narrative of Red.

I'm sorry if I'm super pessimistic right now, I just feel the axe getting closer and closer to Rachel's neck and seeing her written this way has taken a toll on my faith in the X-Office.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post

Indeed.

Now she has more mental issues pulling at her and having to deal with wondering if she was screwing Kurt because she loved him or she was pushed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Indeed.

Now she has more mental issues pulling at her and having to deal with wondering if she was screwing Kurt because she loved him or she was pushed into it.
    Rachel really got the short end of the stick for both Gold and Red. I'm hoping that the finale of Extermination has her annihilating Ahab for some measure of redemption.

(PLEASE NO NOBLE SACRIFICE EITHER!)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Basically. I do think Taylor might have a better handle on Rachel than others, but lately it's almost like the post-it note attached to using Rachel is "supposedly uber-powerful but easily nerfed to make your threat seem valid".

The build-up to this "Grey showdown" is likely to result in a multi-page build-up to a singular move by Jean that will take out Rachel and cast Cassie out of her head. Ray might not even get a punch in, or seemingly pose a threat to Jean, because it doesn't fit the narrative of Red.

I'm sorry if I'm super pessimistic right now, I just feel the axe getting closer and closer to Rachel's neck and seeing her written this way has taken a toll on my faith in the X-Office.
    Thinking this will happen is not pessimistic at all. It's essentially how things are written. I don't think Rachel will pose a threat to Jean.

Guggenheim destroyed Rachel just to make Kitty look good, but he destroyed Kitty by having her flake out yet again. Dumping Peter at the alter which of course made him leave the school? This is clearly someone who has poor judgement and is too unstable to be leader.

Mighty Member

I don't even think Wanda got possessed this much in this short of amount of time.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Rachel really got the short end of the stick for both Gold and Red. I'm hoping that the finale of Extermination has her annihilating Ahab for some measure of redemption.

(PLEASE NO NOBLE SACRIFICE EITHER!)

The gavel hasn't come down on Red and could split even, Red's annual did more for Rachel than any of Gold. Based merely on Taylor actually using and progressing some aspect of Rachel's history and moving it forward. Guggs spent over 30 issues of retreading, ridding, and regressing Rachel, other than presenting a relationship that was never shown and boosts in power that was already within her abilities.

Even at its minimalist, Red at least rates above Gold, she deserved as did the rest of cast to be featured in a fairly competent way!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I really haven't followed Rachel outside of her interactions with Cable, so i wanted to ask

why is she being mind controled so easily? As an Omega level telepath isn't she supposed to have some resistance to that?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

why is she being mind controled so easily? As an Omega level telepath isn't she supposed to have some resistance to that?
    While it could be argued that omega level telepath does not equal omega level protection, Rachel should have psionic shielding because she literally taught a flipping class on psychic self defense. I know the X-Men are woefully unqualified to teach, but for crying out loud.

I really haven't followed Rachel outside of her interactions with Cable, so i wanted to ask

bc of all the time she spent as a Hound psychologically tortured and messed with by Ahab, she's been left vulnerable. Think of it as a mental handicap.

While it could be argued that omega level telepath does not equal omega level protection, Rachel should have psionic shielding because she literally taught a flipping class on psychic self defense. I know the X-Men are woefully unqualified to teach, but for crying out loud.
    teaching a class doesnt make a person an expert or highly skilled at performing said subject

Havok83 said it best. It's her handicap that some writers choose to use or ignore depending on what they are trying to tell. Lately every writer has decided to use her as a punching bag or controlled victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    teaching a class doesn't make a person an expert or highly skilled at performing said subject
    I agree on both points here, as both are valid. The issue is the writer and their plans/goals. When Aaron had Rachel become the head psychic/teacher at the JGS, she was the most trained and was an effective TP/TK user who had good shielding at the school. Since then most writers have moved the needle on her skills and strengths significantly down. Wood started the trend of using her as the jobber to make his villains look more powerful. Bunn moved the needle back up, but Guggenheim pushed it back to 80's Claremont levels. There is no consistency. So yes while she should be at where she was when that class was taught, she has become less skilled at doing so or can do it for others just not herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Havok83 said it best. It's her handicap that some writers choose to use or ignore depending on what they are trying to tell. Lately every writer has decided to use her as a punching bag or controlled victim.
    I dont think there will be much time with Red ending but I hope the resolution with Rachel in the series is Jean agreeing to help train her and fix this handicap (like she did with Gentle). Obviously though Red takes place before Extermination so we can only assume Jean never got around to it, likely bc that takes place so soon after Red, but it wouldnt hurt to throw it out there
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-22-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think there will be much time with Red ending but I hope the resolution with Rachel in the series is Jean agreeing to help train her and fix this handicap (like she did with Gentle). Obviously though Red takes place before Extermination so we can only assume Jean never got around to it, likely bc that even takes place so soon after Red, but it wouldnt hurt to throw it out there
    I think if Red shows Jean helping reshield her mind, it would still be in place for Extermination. The problem is that Rachel's hound conditioning is written to be able to transcend some levels of fixing. Like in Uncanny X-Men Annual 14 where she reverts and removes Cyclops and Sue Storm's hound programming, but even with the Phoenix Force cannot remove her own. The only thing that I'm hoping is that she is faking her revert in Extermination to take Ahab down from within.

Alas, I don't think we'll see a strong showing from Rachel before Extermination ends, and it's likely her last appearance.