Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Hrmmm... here’s a controversial suggestion:

I would retcon nearly everything about Cable and eliminate the far future world of the Askani and Apocalypse. I don’t think any of that narrative content has proven substantial to the characterization of either Summers kid.
    no way....the Askani is one of the things that makes Rachel unique from Jean. Plus it was awesome Nate & Rachel bonding where she took care of her baby brother. It also showed Rachel as a leader.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    I like that she isn't in ugly Prestige attire....and her hair looks good!
    It's back next issue. Artist error. Whomp whomp

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    It's back next issue. Artist error. Whomp whomp
    I hope not. I think it would be fitting for Jean to fight Rachel while she wears the Dark Phoenix colors. I think it will lose its punch if she's as Prestige

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I hope not. I think it would be fitting for Jean to fight Rachel while she wears the Dark Phoenix colors. I think it will lose its punch if she's as Prestige
    I know the colorist and they told me that it was an error, but the correct Prestige garb is in 9.
    I would LOVE the optics as Rachel sported the DP outfit for a while, but sadly no. I hope she is at LEAST shown to be able to hold her own and be competent (although controlled by Nova).

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    no way....the Askani is one of the things that makes Rachel unique from Jean. Plus it was awesome Nate & Rachel bonding where she took care of her baby brother. It also showed Rachel as a leader.
    Yep.

I’m not saying you didn’t enjoy those stories, I’m saying those stories may as well have been an Elseworlds.

I really think Rachel is a stronger character for the X-Men than writers and editors seem to understand, but not because of her own story, but what her story means to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Hrmmm... here’s a controversial suggestion:

I would retcon nearly everything about Cable and eliminate the far future world of the Askani and Apocalypse. I don’t think any of that narrative content has proven substantial to the characterization of either Summers kid.
    This makes things more confusing and complicated. Retcons don’t erase what happened. The past continuity still exists in the form of trades which are released and Wikipedia. Movies can change things but the more differences, the more confused people are when reading Wikipedia.

Mighty Member

Personally, I'd go with Revenant as Rachel's codename over Prestige. Revenant, besides being an Age of X reference, means ghost and Rachel certainly has a ton of things haunting her: the pile of ashes known as Franklin Richards of Earth-811, Ahab, her past as the Phoenix, hell, her past in general. Her past has shaped her, but it isn't controlling her.

Revenant is an awful codename and worse than Prestige. Its an ugly sounding word to say that doesnt roll off the tongue

Fantastic Member

I like Revenant too

I'm on board for Revenant.

Eh, Revenant is way too edge lord for me. I imagine a deviant art character dressed entirely in black looking like Marilyn Manson with a scythe.

Askani or something better. Revenant, like Marvel Girl and Phoenix, are references to Jean or Jean imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Askani or something better. Revenant, like Marvel Girl and Phoenix, are references to Jean or Jean imagery.
    You're absolutely right that Revenant, Marvel Girl and Phoenix are referent and borrowing from her mother's brand, rather than building upon her own.

"Hound" is referent to her past, which is THE ugly future the X-Men strive to prevent. Its also specifically a phase of Rachel's life and a form that is uniquely hers. It's ugly and brutal and traumatic, but those are uniquely Rachel, and not derivative of her parents.

"Askani" is similarly hers. Not my favorite choice, but the thinking is sound. I feel the entire Askani chapter of the X-Men is proving less and less impactful the further we get from the time that introduced it. Essentially: Cable is a mysterious edgy timetraveller who wields big guns and teaches young mutants how to be edgy. Rachel is a tortured young woman from a dystopian future whose presence in the present tortures everyone around her.

So as another Rachel fan pointed out, it looks like Ahab took her and the transformation she was fighting took in Extermination 3. So she's mind controlled in both books this week. What direction/development do you hope Brisson gives Rachel in the remaining issues?
    And should she survive Extermination, what do you hope the X-Office can do to make her a competent character again?

I'm a bit lost here. What does "Revenant" have to do with Jean?