Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: CBR Chat

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Might actually get to watch some stuff on my WWE Network this weekend LOL. Rare quiet weekend by the looks of it for me.

I've jinxed it now haven't I?

Went out and measured about 4½ inches of snow on my top front step about an hour ago.

And it's still over a month before winter officially gets here!

(Stupid weather!)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here in the Philadelphia area, we got over three inches of snow yesterday, and most of it fell in the early afternoon, turning rush hour into a royal mess. My usual 45 commute home from work turned into a two hour slog, what with traffic and untreated roads. UGH! It was miserable!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I'd gladly take some of that snow off your backs, guys! Our winters here in the Neth have been nothing to write home about!
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

It's been a relatively warm November here in the UK so far. 14 Celcius today in the Midlands.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Here in the Philadelphia area, we got over three inches of snow yesterday, and most of it fell in the early afternoon, turning rush hour into a royal mess. My usual 45 commute home from work turned into a two hour slog, what with traffic and untreated roads. UGH! It was miserable!
    Sounds like you got off easy.
    I live in southwestern Connecticut, and listening to the New York City news they were telling stories of some commutes taking over six hours; I-84 closed to trucks between the Pennsylvania and Connecticut borders; one middle school in West Orange, NJ actually having about 80 kids stay there overnight because they couldn't get home; even part of the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC that handles busses to NJ was shut down because the busses were having major problems getting around. (They were cancelling some of the busses for the morning commute because too many bus drivers had been out driving too late in the weather and were required by Federal law to take mandatory breaks before they could start a new shift.)
    The storm hit at the worst possible time because of the evening commute, so they couldn't clear the roads because of the clogged traffic, and that increased the number of accidents that just made things even worse.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sounds like you got off easy.
    I live in southwestern Connecticut, and listening to the New York City news they were telling stories of some commutes taking over six hours; I-84 closed to trucks between the Pennsylvania and Connecticut borders; one middle school in West Orange, NJ actually having about 80 kids stay there overnight because they couldn't get home; even part of the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC that handles busses to NJ was shut down because the busses were having major problems getting around. (They were cancelling some of the busses for the morning commute because too many bus drivers had been out driving too late in the weather and were required by Federal law to take mandatory breaks before they could start a new shift.)
    The storm hit at the worst possible time because of the evening commute, so they couldn't clear the roads because of the clogged traffic, and that increased the number of accidents that just made things even worse.
    I spent a couple of hours watching the local news after I got home, and people who were interviewed pretty much said the same thing: they were unprepared for how nasty the storm was. The forecast called for a coating to an inch in Philly proper, but got much more while some areas in our northern most suburbs saw close to eight. The weatherguessers gave the same excuse to explain what happened, that the storm "overperformed". We had the same trouble with bad timing as the storm dumped snow just before evening rush hour, and plow trucks couldn't hit the roads because of the traffic. In other words, it was a mess, one I hope wasn't a harbinger of winter wallops to come.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

We had 10cm of snow here...still has not melted and it is MINUS FIFTEEN on Wednesday :*[

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    We had 10cm of snow here...
    10 cm = about 4 inches
    still has not melted and it is MINUS FIFTEEN on Wednesday :*
    -15°C = 5°F

We had more snow here in Connecticut on Thursday (I've seen a listing of 7.1 inches for my town on one site, which would be a little over 18 cm), but we haven't made it down to as cold as you (yet).

Extraordinary Member

10 cm = about 4 inches
    -15°C = 5°F

We had more snow here in Connecticut on Thursday (I've seen a listing of 7.1 inches for my town on one site, which would be a little over 18 cm), but we haven't made it down to as cold as you (yet).
    I'm still used to the English way of describing weather.

Oh and as soon as you say that I look up and see snow! It is snowing...

I'm still used to the English way of describing weather.

Oh and as soon as you say that I look up and see snow! It is snowing...
    Back when I was a kid in school (in the 1970s) there was an effort to try and get Americans to transition over to the metric system.

But our country can sometimes be a tad . . . stubborn.

Extraordinary Member

Back when I was a kid in school (in the 1970s) there was an effort to try and get Americans to transition over to the metric system.

But our country can sometimes be a tad . . . stubborn.
    Just a bit!

It is getting warmer now. Anyone got plans for Christmas? Will be my first alone :O

Just a bit!

It is getting warmer now. Anyone got plans for Christmas? Will be my first alone :O
    Sorry to hear you'll be by yourself.

As for Christmas, we here in the U.S. just had our Thanksgiving two days ago!
    The big Christmas shopping just officially kicked off late on Thursday and on Friday ("Black Friday!"), and already some people are putting out their Christmas/holiday decorations. (I've started some of the shopping, but I'll wait until at least December 1st to buy a wreathe and dig out the tree and stuff.)

Had a blast mountain biking today.

pyr1.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Sorry to hear you'll be by yourself.

As for Christmas, we here in the U.S. just had our Thanksgiving two days ago!
    The big Christmas shopping just officially kicked off late on Thursday and on Friday ("Black Friday!"), and already some people are putting out their Christmas/holiday decorations. (I've started some of the shopping, but I'll wait until at least December 1st to buy a wreathe and dig out the tree and stuff.)
    I hate Black Friday.