Page 449 of 824 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452453459499549 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,735 of 12354
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It's because the society we live in has turned equality into a zero sum game. That's capitalism for ya. It's a hard thing to break, I'm still struggling with it myself. The idea that there are only so many seats at the table, and black men have had our chance and now it's black women's turn. I have no desire to play musical chairs with black women or black lgbt people. At all. It doesn't have to be this way. At the risk of sounding like a 'class reductionist' the ruling class has tricked the rest of us fighting over scraps while they get seconds, thirds, and fourths.

The black gender wars are very public, and very dumb.
    Quoted for truth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    You also see this with lack of societal acceptance of Asian and Latino male characters in pop culture. It seems Hollywood and society in general is comfortable with Asian and Latino women as eye candy or the fighter who backs up the white male, but don’t want Asian or Latino males in lead roles.

Having Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian is pretty huge. Unfortunately it’s still very rare to see a Latino male lead in big budget productions.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    You also see this with lack of societal acceptance of Asian and Latino male characters in pop culture. It seems Hollywood and society in general is comfortable with Asian and Latino women as eye candy or the fighter who backs up the white male, but don’t want Asian or Latino males in lead roles.

Having Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian is pretty huge. Unfortunately it’s still very rare to see a Latino male lead in big budget productions.
    Latino and Asian female leads are even more rare. As you said, they're usually relegated to sidekicks and love interests. As bad as men of color have it (and it is plenty bad make no mistake) but for women of color it is much worse and is only now getting better.

Ultimate Member

It's because the society we live in has turned equality into a zero sum game. That's capitalism for ya. It's a hard thing to break, I'm still struggling with it myself. The idea that there are only so many seats at the table, and black men have had our chance and now it's black women's turn. I have no desire to play musical chairs with black women or black lgbt people. At all. It doesn't have to be this way. At the risk of sounding like a 'class reductionist' the ruling class has tricked the rest of us fighting over scraps while they get seconds, thirds, and fourths.

No you don't sound like one. I would add some of the time it's not the ruling class doing the tricking. It's US.

I've always thought the reason for this is because Asian and Latinos have their own networks and studios to control the narrative.

In other words why worry about the lack of Asian leads at CBS, NBC, ABC & FOx when you own your own stuff. I mean look at Netflix-I have watched more Asian and Latino lead movies and shows that were 500+ better than anything our networks toss out.

But I do understand what you are saying.

Got my first vaccine shot yesterday, see how it goes. Ridiculous I was even offered it TBH (while my wife that teaches and has been in person teaching this whole time wasn't offered yet) but whatever.

I mostly got it to convince my type II diabetic grandma who won't leave her house and my mom who works in an assistant living place that has had multiple outbreaks to get it when offered.

And also very exhausting.

It is the bad attitude to have, but after this horribly unlucky streak with Black Panther, I am done with it. I simply don't care anymore.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Got my first vaccine shot yesterday, see how it goes. Ridiculous I was even offered it TBH (while my wife that teaches and has been in person teaching this whole time wasn't offered yet) but whatever.

I mostly got it to convince my type II diabetic grandma who won't leave her house and my mom who works in an assistant living place that has had multiple outbreaks to get it when offered.

And also very exhausting.

It is the bad attitude to have, but after this horribly unlucky streak with Black Panther, I am done with it. I simply don't care anymore.
    It's part of why I stopped following black twitter at all.

So much crap....

That aside, how did the vaccination go? This covid-19 **** is back with a vengeance, 4 people in my wife's place of work have it and my sister-in-law (a doctor) has lost about 2 colleagues to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's part of why I stopped following black twitter at all.

So much crap....

That aside, how did the vaccination go? This covid-19 **** is back with a vengeance, 4 people in my wife's place of work have it and my sister-in-law (a doctor) has lost about 2 colleagues to it.
    It's been less than 24 hours but so far fine. Shoulder is tender to the touch and a little sore but nothing crazy. The process was super simple and super quick. Almost too quick in a sense they take no patient history at all. no questions if other vaccines have had adverse affects on you, no questions about possible interractions, nothing. Just shot, and then have you sit around for 15 minutes to make sure you don't have a bad allergic reaction then off you go lol.

So, I do wonder if the side affects in some people are due to the fact they are rushing a bit with it.

(or this is just have vaccines are now, i don't get flu shots and haven't had a vaccine in 10 years, which was tetanus lol)

Judging by my patients, the older population seem to take it a little rougher. But, they take covid in general rougher so that is to be expected.

Apparently the second shot is MUCH worse but i'll find out in a month lol

Yeah, things are increasing again down here but florida doesn't give a **** lol. Luckily I am in a more "progressive" county in florida so it has been ok. But that new UK strain thing I believe has been confirmed to be in the state which is neat lol.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not surprised.

I understand the circumstances around Boseman's tragedy but I can't imagine he nor anyone close to him would NOT want BP to be recast.

And I 100% agree with him about narratives. It's unwritten, it's unspoken but we (i.e in the black community) can feel it. I think there's a comfort level within the greater society with having strong black queens rather than strong black kings.
    Can’t be better said

Way to bring me down O, f'real. That's a lot.

Only thing I can come with is, lenses. eSocial lenses are like beer googles to me. I don't do Facebook, little bit of twitter and I have a faint pulse on IG. The nerds I deal with here is my main route. I feel if the 'entertaining' parts and the social media parts of this are tampered down, things will look and can feel different. Moderate black men ain't going anywhere. The roles and responsibilities and voices are kinda the same but different no doubt.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Good for her, by far wrote one of the wrote series I ever read u literally wud have to pay me to get me to read a another comic by Gay..

Regina King is a good director
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    On one hand, I understand seeing a bunch of white supremacist act like fools inside the capital is indeed uncomfortable for minorities. And it is... depressing that the ones that aren't white supremacists seem to have no problem holding hands together and being in the same group and teaming up to "stop the steal" or whatever they are doing now.

But, honestly, this current climate doesn't feel like a race thing at all to me. I'm sure you can twist it pretty easily to make it seem like that but just at a glance... it just feels like a bunch of people who fell deep in the cult of trump doing what a cult leader tells them to do. It doesn't feel like it has racial undertones. They just HAPPEN to be white supremacists but that isn't their direct goal at the moment.

Because right now the only flags I see flying are confederate flags, and proud boys flags, and fascisms flags. And so you’re going to need to come up with something that counters it, because right now, it looks like the other side is winning. and it’s going to take you with us.”
    That is just because those people are the ones protesting. A counter protest right now would be a HORRBLE idea. let the national guard "Counter" protest.

Normal people don't go around waving flags like a lunatic screaming about patriotism. That is "there" thing.

They aren't winning, they are loud. They are loud because they are losing. There is a big difference.

Ultimate Member

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    On one hand, I understand seeing a bunch of white supremacist act like fools inside the capital is indeed uncomfortable for minorities. And it is... depressing that the ones that aren't white supremacists seem to have no problem holding hands together and being in the same group and teaming up to "stop the steal" or whatever they are doing now.

But, honestly, this current climate doesn't feel like a race thing at all to me. I'm sure you can twist it pretty easily to make it seem like that but just at a glance... it just feels like a bunch of people who fell deep in the cult of trump doing what a cult leader tells them to do. It doesn't feel like it has racial undertones. They just HAPPEN to be white supremacists but that isn't their direct goal at the moment.

That is just because those people are the ones protesting. A counter protest right now would be a HORRBLE idea. let the national guard "Counter" protest.

Normal people don't go around waving flags like a lunatic screaming about patriotism. That is "there" thing.

They aren't winning, they are loud. They are loud because they are losing. There is a big difference.
    Kind of disagree. Trump's whole appeal is the validation of racist policies. Sure people who weren't racist voted for him, but that doesn't change the fact that his fundamental pull is straight out of the typical "American racist," playbook.