Page 158 of 827 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258658 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 12395

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I didn't like TDK at all, but I at least get why some people did. Logan I'm baffled about. That **** was soooo boring.

I guess it's one of the better X-Men flicks...

Which is all I have to say about those.
    I'm about TDK for Ledger and a couple of great action set pieces. I haven't watched it straight through in years, now that it's on Netflix I'm always skipping around. The story gets weaker as time goes on and it was pretty reaching to begin with. Anyone who feels it's a mirror on society needs to remember that Joker sewed a phone in a man... and got it to ring.

I still haven't finished Logan, I agree it being so drawn out. I do appreciate the shot it took, I think, as where I think it's going but it's a lot. I feel it would have been a compelling story without the adamantium so...

Thing about the Best Picture Oscar's are that often they are akin to make-up calls in football. No way in hell Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman should have beaten Denzel as Malcolm X. They had to get Pacino in there somehow some way. Comic dorks don't understand the history of it and they damn sure don't get the treatment that black filmmakers have historically had. Denzel for Training Day and Halle for Monster's Ball isn't a representation of their contributions or an adequate representation. Flash Forward, viewership is at it's lowest ever and then this cultural and financial meteor hits in Black Panther and whatchagonnado?

Personally I had no issue whatsoever with 95% of any of Black Panther and I'm pretty harsh on the medium as a whole. These studios have only been making movies for 100 years and for what it takes to get one made they ought to hold up better as a whole that we routinely get imo. From first trailer the CGI is my total encompassing beef with the film. I didn't get enough Chadwick, in frame with his suit on. Batman flipping around in any of his movies is never CGI'd as tough as Black Panther was but I get that's part of the Marvel Studio process. Unfortunately for all the beautiful choices made about the film in cinematography, sets, costume design (which should be a unanimous win), acting, and screenplay, I still get a PS2-ish green screen boss battle at the end, again par for the MCU course. Any other argument against it for a Best Picture nomination is undoubtedly rooting in some preconceived bias. Folks gotta realize Black culture has ALWAYS moved the needle in America- pick an arena.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Ol' pedo Singer is back in the news for you "both sides" peeps

Dude is so teflon that I wonder if the rumors he has vids/pics of his parties is actually true and he has very powerful people on them
    First time I read this I was like "pedo singer"? Is he boycotting saying R. Kelly's name or something?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    LOL Lupita Nyango says Hi! She's easily the most prominent black female actress currently in Hollywood.
    Channels inner R. Kelly to respond: [Insert uncomfortable pause] Are we talking non-Tyler Perry Black actresses, or non-motion capture black actresses?

LOL Lupita Nyango says Hi! She's easily the most prominent black female actress currently in Hollywood.
    Shows how "unprominent" black female actresses are in Hollywood, then. Lupita's an Oscar winning actress and has had possibly one lead role to date. I say "possibly" because I haven't seen Queen of Katwe so I don't know if her character is more of a lead or support for the chess playing daughter character.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Shows how "unprominent" black female actresses are in Hollywood, then. Lupita's an Oscar winning actress and has had possibly one lead role to date. I say "possibly" because I haven't seen Queen of Katwe so I don't know if her character is more of a lead or support for the chess playing daughter character.
    Shes the lead in that freaky weird Peele horror movie coming up
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Shes the lead in that freaky weird Peele horror movie coming up
    Yep. Co-lead, at least. But that's why I said "to date".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    No. It’s better because it diverted (or at least subverted) the usual Marvel formula, made you genuinely worry about the life expectancy of the heroes, and presented you with a disturbing villain with such a warped outlook, that he casually talks about genocide the way you would talk about keeping a car well-maintained - as if saying, “Of course it’s a good policy, silly.”
    And yet follow the same original pathway of Marvel Movies by treating it's minority characters as second class citizens, yeah I'll pass on that one.

Astonishing Member

Oh no doubt about it, to be honest I can't recall a black female lead movie since what, the early 2000's with Halle Berry? Zoe Saldana used to be arguably the most prominent since her introduction of Avatar but she's never been the "lead" in a movie. Co-lead definitely but the same can be said about Lupita.

This is excluding the Tyler Perry Movies though

If we're talking Dramatic actresses of color, there isn't enough of them to represent every finger on one hand. That said don't ever leave out Viola and she should be considered before Lupita as she's been in more projects, TV and movies. Danai Gurira is getting some run lately. It's rough and honestly you can't even double-up when you count the men. How many black men over 50 do you even see in ANY movies (save from Alonzo and Lucious Fox)? I guess Danny Glover is still getting checks, Netflix and that one from Boots, which is a movie I really need to finish btw.
    You bet yer ass.

Oh no doubt about it, to be honest I can't recall a black female lead movie since what, the early 2000's with Halle Berry?
    Hidden Figures, Girls Trip, that movie with Taraji P. Henson as a hitwoman are some recent ones that come to mind.

Zoe Saldana used to be arguably the most prominent since her introduction of Avatar but she's never been the "lead" in a movie. Co-lead definitely but the same can be said about Lupita.

This is excluding the Tyler Perry Movies though
    Saldana was the lead in Colombiana. And that Nina Simone fiasco that I shouldn't even mention lol.

Astonishing Member

BTW, looks like Bendis may be on with another hit with Naomi, just picked up today and it's definitely good. Loved the artwork in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    If we're talking Dramatic actresses of color, there isn't enough of them to represent every finger on one hand. That said don't ever leave out Viola and she should be considered before Lupita as she's been in more projects, TV and movies. Danai Gurira is getting some run lately. It's rough and honestly you can't even double-up when you count the men. How many black men over 50 do you even see in ANY movies (save from Alonzo and Lucious Fox)? I guess Danny Glover is still getting checks, Netflix and that one from Boots, which is a movie I really need to finish btw.
    Not sure what you meant in the bold. If you mean the actresses don't exist out there that definitely isn't true. If you mean those actresses aren't getting lead roles, then that is definitely the case. Including Viola who until recently was always in supporting roles.

Not sure what you meant in the bold. If you mean the actresses don't exist out there that definitely isn't true. If you mean those actresses aren't getting lead roles, then that is definitely the case. Including Viola who until recently was always in supporting roles.
    Yes. Specifically lead roles and even more so specifically darker skin actresses (I remember the 80s when we didn't even have sistas the level of Davis, Lupita or Gurira). Which is why naked colorism imo is secondary to the fact that were barely in to begin with before we get into that.
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yes. Specifically lead roles and even more so specifically darker skin actresses (I remember the 80s when we didn't even have sistas the level of Davis, Lupita or Gurira). Which is why naked colorism imo is secondary to the fact that were barely in to begin with before we get into that.

Agreed 100%, I feel like our numbers is so small within the media that the discussion about colorism is literally like fighting over scraps.

Mighty Member

And yet follow the same original pathway of Marvel Movies by treating it's minority characters as second class citizens, yeah I'll pass on that one.
    Wasn’t from where I was standing, especially since Wakanda was center stage for one of the two premier battles of the film.