Page 159 of 827 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259659 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 12392
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Wasn’t from where I was standing, especially since Wakanda was center stage for one of the two premier battles of the film.
    Agree to disagree, there was a video that showed all the speaking parts and how much screen time they had, and all of the black characters were on the lowest side of the spectrum. I could give two craps about the actual setting if the characters themselves are being treated like secondary editions just to get evaporated. It's why I'm not watching the sequel unless I hear the representation being different. The fact that my mom picked up on this after she watched black panther says enough lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Agree to disagree, there was a video that showed all the speaking parts and how much screen time they had, and all of the black characters were on the lowest side of the spectrum. I could give two craps about the actual setting if the characters themselves are being treated like secondary editions just to get evaporated. It's why I'm not watching the sequel unless I hear the representation being different. The fact that my mom picked up on this after she watched black panther says enough lol.
    That's the issue with a crossover ensemble picture. Every viewer has their "favorite" who they may or may not feel got sidelined in favor of someone else. That alone however doesn't indicate the creator's thumbing his/her nose against said favorites.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Hidden Figures, Girls Trip, that movie with Taraji P. Henson as a hitwoman are some recent ones that come to mind.
    I was just about to mention Taraji.

Gabrielle Union also had a movie last year called Breaking In; I also remember watching that Sanaa Lathan movie a couple of years back where Michael Ealy played her psycho boyfriend.

Issa Rae also has a movie coming out this year with Marsai Martin.

There are a couple of others, but for the most part, it's been pretty dismal. I try to support every movie I can.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I finally caught the latest episode of Black Lightning.

...My back hurts.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I finally caught the latest episode of Black Lightning.

...My back hurts.
    (Quick Round Of Virtual Applause...)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I won't be shocked to see some variations on, "Black Panther is not really good, the liberals in Hollywood were just under pressure to give it an award by the PC Police!"
    That has been the DEFAULT sermon since day one.

Also include-Obama and other black folks bought a ton of tickets to boost the box office.

It made a BILLION and was winning awards everywhere else.

They are mad that unlike many of the other black films nominated for best picture-this one is NOT selling Black misery & suffering to make certain folks feel good.
    They don't fear Moonlight as long as it black males fighting among themselves about male sexuality. Nor BlackKKlans or 12 Years because they dealt with history.
    Nor Precious since that is how some of them think black women really are.

Black Panther was their greatest fear-Black folks getting along and building an empire that rival EVERYONE else.

Yes. Specifically lead roles and even more so specifically darker skin actresses (I remember the 80s when we didn't even have sistas the level of Davis, Lupita or Gurira). Which is why naked colorism imo is secondary to the fact that were barely in to begin with before we get into that.
    Well the one in the 80s that we had if you don't count Whoopi was her Color Purple costar Akosua Busia who played Nettie.

She did a movie with Cameron Mitchell where she was the villain (and his wife). The movie was called Low Blow and features an UNKNOWN guy named Billy Blanks.

Haaaa, Billy Blanks is one of the worst actors who ever lived. Dude is the black Brian Bosworth of the silver screen.

Not hating though, because as an entrepreneur, Blanks is one of my idols. Was there anyone in America who didn't own a set of Tae-Bo tapes? I am in awe of how much money that guy made. He went from the B-list to Bel-Air by teaching soccer moms how to do Sagat's Tiger Knee.

I remember Billy Blanks from TC 2000. A cursory Google search says he starred in a movie that seemed loosely based on (or plagiarized) Kickboxer called..The King of the Kickboxers. The wiki made it sound like Blanks played the Tung Po-esque character.

And, yep, its on Youtube.

How interconnected is the Catalyst Prime Universe? Is it worth buying all of the trades or are there "core" books that push the universe sort of like "Avengers" does at Marvel.

I've got the first Noble trade but I'm thinking of going in on that universe since Milestone 2.0 seems to be going nowhere fast.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Y'all need to leave Billy alone.

Extraordinary Member

Man, how can I get power like this?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    That's the issue with a crossover ensemble picture. Every viewer has their "favorite" who they may or may not feel got sidelined in favor of someone else. That alone however doesn't indicate the creator's thumbing his/her nose against said favorites.
    You can state that if you wish, but as stated before, a youtube video specifically indicated that black characters were given the lowest amount of screen time, that's undeniable. So if you want to excuse that tendency, go ahead. But I surely will not. Combine that with the fact that he literally gets wiped out in the movie after barely having any presence (the character not the background), and how there's been plenty of articles specifically talking about how IW was two step backwards for black characters, and there isn't really much more that needs to be said. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but for me and many others, IW was a step back in terms of representation.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That has been the DEFAULT sermon since day one.

Also include-Obama and other black folks bought a ton of tickets to boost the box office.

It made a BILLION and was winning awards everywhere else.

They are mad that unlike many of the other black films nominated for best picture-this one is NOT selling Black misery & suffering to make certain folks feel good.
    They don't fear Moonlight as long as it black males fighting among themselves about male sexuality. Nor BlackKKlans or 12 Years because they dealt with history.
    Nor Precious since that is how some of them think black women really are.

Black Panther was their greatest fear-Black folks getting along and building an empire that rival EVERYONE else.
    Not even an empire (the second half of the plot was about preventing that from happening). But wouldn’t be surprised if that kind of insecurity was a thing among those flinging the most venom its way.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    You can state that if you wish, but as stated before, a youtube video specifically indicated that black characters were given the lowest amount of screen time, that's undeniable. So if you want to excuse that tendency, go ahead. But I surely will not. Combine that with the fact that he literally gets wiped out in the movie after barely having any presence (the character not the background), and how there's been plenty of articles specifically talking about how IW was two step backwards for black characters, and there isn't really much more that needs to be said. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but for me and many others, IW was a step back in terms of representation.
    Fair enough.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-24-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Well the upcoming Mortal Kombat 11 is shaping up to be pretty strong in female representation. Not only do we have the franchise's first female, final boss, but it has a playable female character in her 50s in Sonya Blade. Quite an accomplishment given how fighting games seem almost terrified of having women be older than 25 (and look like they're older than 25).

Of course, some fans have to be assholes about it.

The impulse of some to blame “feminists” for ruining Sonya is really laughable because all it does is prove something that these same people want so desperately to disprove: They’re just sexist and don’t care about the actual characters.

Personally, I think Sonya still looks hot—because damn, even at 51, she’s still got it—but at the end of the day, if the point of Mortal Kombat is to highlight amazing fighters with sick fatalities, what does it matter if you can see Sonya’s entire bare chest or not? Is the fanservice so important for you that you can’t appreciate how Sonya Blade, the first female character in Mortal Kombat, has continued to evolve and change with the core cast?
    https://www.themarysue.com/sonya-blade-mk11-new-look/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Man, how can I get power like this?

Fool! You know exactly where!