Page 513 of 827 FirstFirst ... 13413463503509510511512513514515516517523563613 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,695 of 12391
    Extraordinary Member

The “warrior mentality” school of police training is way too popular among departments, way too stupid for their actual responsibilities, and feeds way too well into the worse aspects of Law Enforcement philosophy.

Too many cops enter the career thinking stuff like “How would I do in the North Hollywood Shootout?” and then getting training focusing on that possibility above all else, while completely neglecting the idea of de-escalation, diplomacy, or public service.

In that scenario, you don’t been racial bias to end up shooting a fleeing civilian in the back... but it certainly encourages it. Once you start being taught to view everyone as potential “wolves among sheep”, whatever biases you have are going to creep up and immediately start labeling a bunch fo people as “likely wolves.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's like they can't learn.

Whatever it is they're being taught or trained with needs to change.

It's not just the racism, it's the use of excessive force...lethal force that needs to be analyzed.
    As some have said, too much of the "thin blue line" propaganda acts like every criminal is around the corner planning on destroying society, so of course in their "estimation", lethal force is "necessary"

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Or maybe they think that they'll be the ones that "Get away with it."
    They've gotten away with a lot so far, so that may be it.

One thing I've learned in recent years is how much law enforcement is historically built to enforce racism.

Look at a police shooting range. Where are the bullseyes? On the shoulders, to disarm? On the legs, to keep the suspect from running? No, it's on the head and the heart; shoot to kill. That should tell you all you need to know.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Or maybe they think that they'll be the ones that "Get away with it."
    Why wouldn't they think that?

Most District Attorneys run on being tough on crime so they have to be chummy with the PD and State Judges give Police Officers the benefit of the doubt for much the same reasons. It's why the Federal DOJ was tasked with looking at these issues.

It was taken for granted by the Obama Administration that many States weren't gonna do anything in situations like that unless forced to by outside pressure.

Couple that with a Supreme Court ruling that says the Police have no obligation to put their lives at risk to protect the citizens (look it up), and it takes the most blatant of acts for a Cop to even get slapped on the wrist.

It literally took rioting before this country could come to the conclusion that this was all pretty messed up.

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread before or not. But even if it has, that's okay. A video like this one deserves to be watched more than once, however many times it takes.

Mighty Member

Sooo.....what is all this I am hearing about TNC/Ta-Nehisi Coates doing something in Captn America comics regarding Red Skull that has enraged folks online?

Even Ben Shapiro reacted to it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Look at a police shooting range. Where are the bullseyes? On the shoulders, to disarm? On the legs, to keep the suspect from running? No, it's on the head and the heart; shoot to kill. That should tell you all you need to know.
    Eh, you could still easily kill someone while trying to “disarm” them - a gun is a lethal weapon, after all. And ideally, if a situation requires drawing and firing a gun at all, it's because the situation has only reached the point of kill or have someone else be killed, in which case ending the situation as quickly as possible is acceptable.

Better to keep that training for regular officers, but work far harder at training them in de-escalation, pursuit and subduing without using the gun, and just generally emphasizing the gun has extremely limited utility in any situation without an armed assailant.

You want to disarm or subdue someone? Don’t use a gun. You’ve used a gun? You better have one hell of a damn good reason.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Sooo.....what is all this I am hearing about TNC/Ta-Nehisi Coates doing something in Captn America comics regarding Red Skull that has enraged folks online?

He wrote Red Skull as an alt-right YouTuber using dialogue supposedly based on Peterson's

Extraordinary Member

He had Red Skull rebrand himself as an Internet Influencer spouting fascist rhetoric. who did seminars as his main hustle. Said seminars is where he'd start to turn his audience ( who where already halfway there) into full on fascists.

Men's Rights Activist Jordan Peterson saw this comic and recognized his OWN METHODS AND RHETORIC and got performatively offended by it. Somehow.

If you see a comic book arch villain's methods and recognize yourself in them, maybe the Writer isn't the issue and your life choices are.

Funny thing is dude outed himself. It's not like Coates ever mentioned him by name in the story.

This guy is literally running around to media going "That fictional fascist reminds me of myself! Why is this writer calling me a fascist!"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    He had Red Skull rebrand himself as an Internet Influencer spouting fascist rhetoric. who did seminars as his main hustle. Said seminars is where he'd start to turn his audience ( who where already halfway there) into full on fascists.

Men's Rights Activist Jordan Peterson saw this comic and recognized his OWN METHODS AND RHETORIC and got performatively offended by it. Somehow.

If you see a comic book arch villain's methods and recognize yourself in them, maybe the Writer isn't the issue and your life choices are.

Funny thing is dude outed himself. It's not like Coates ever mentioned him by name in the story.

This guy is literally running around to media going "That fictional fascist reminds me of myself! Why is this writer calling me a fascist!"
    Here's another thing, his fans are way more offended than he is. Him and his daughter have said that they are going to do parody mech with the Hydra logo and substitute the serpents with lobsters.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-13-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Invincible Member

The thing is that Coates was trying to make a point about how the rhetoric ( self help stuff) of guys like Peterson, Stephen Molyneux, and a few other people while not being actual Nazis themselves, help open the gateway to that alt-right gateway. Some folks are are saying that Marvel is out of line by publishing this comic.

Ultimate Member

If they don't want to be parodied, they shouldn't promote problematic ideals

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Eh, all shooting ranges are like this. You always aim for center mass.

The rule for guns is that you never point it at anything you aren't willing to DESTROY. they aren't a toy. they aren't meant to "wound." You shoot to stop the target aka kill

Plus... aiming is hard. Aiming under pressure is harder. Hittign a limb like Jon Wick isn't realistic.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It literally took rioting before this country could come to the conclusion that this was all pretty messed up.
    Half the country

prolly only like 25% now tbh
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The police officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, has resigned.
    Brooklyn Center police chief Tim Gannon also resigned on Tuesday.

Daunte Wright’s family called for Ms Potter to face the highest level of prosecution.

“Put her in jail, like they would with any one of us,” Mr Wright’s cousin Nyesha Wright said at a press conference with members Mr Wright’s and George Floyd’s families on Tuesday.
    Dedicated officers sure did cut and run fast. Her and the chief huh, that part of the warrior training, getting the **** out before answering for your 'mistakes' sounds in-line with the us v. them mentality to me.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.