Page 470 of 827 FirstFirst ... 370420460466467468469470471472473474480520570 ... LastLast
Results 7,036 to 7,050 of 12392

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    They tried to blame it on wind farms, but they're wind farms in the midwest and we get nailed by snow and below freezing temps all the time.
    It is a little bit more complicated than that, Texas produces more megawatt hours by wind than any other state, it produces almost 3 times as as the number 2 state (Oklahoma). Take away Oklahoma and Illinois and Texas almost produces more energy through wind than all the other states combined. In the US there are 3 electrical grids; the Eastern, the Western, and Texas (of course Alaska and Hawaii have their own) and it has been like this since the 1930s almost 100 years and this isolation is one of the things that really hurt the state. Also during the winter Texas reduces it's natural gas energy output because unlike the north the people of the state actually use less energy in the winter then they do running the AC in the summer, top of that the natural gas plants and lines were not winterized so... If you want to say Texas neglected one source (natural gas) to focused on the another (wind) causing a failure with both you can. I've worked with the Texas power grid and it is a complicated mess with the people that run it living in different states and hopefully after this debacle there will be moves to correct it.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    It is a little bit more complicated than that, Texas produces more megawatt hours by wind than any other state, it produces almost 3 times as as the number 2 state (Oklahoma). Take away Oklahoma and Illinois and Texas almost produces more energy through wind than all the other states combined. In the US there are 3 electrical grids; the Eastern, the Western, and Texas (of course Alaska and Hawaii have their own) and it has been like this since the 1930s almost 100 years and this isolation is one of the things that really hurt the state. Also during the winter Texas reduces it's natural gas energy output because unlike the north the people of the state actually use less energy in the winter then they do running the AC in the summer, top of that the natural gas plants and lines were not winterized so... If you want to say Texas neglected one source (natural gas) to focused on the another (wind) causing a failure with both you can. I've worked with the Texas power grid and it is a complicated mess with the people that run it living in different states and hopefully after this debacle there will be moves to correct it.
    But with the denials and deflection, do you think meaningful steps will be taken to correct this?

It's generally much colder here but power is almost always constant during the cold snaps.

I find the idea of living without power in sub-zero temperatures terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    But with the denials and deflection, do you think meaningful steps will be taken to correct this?

It's generally much colder here but power is almost always constant during the cold snaps.

I find the idea of living without power in sub-zero temperatures terrifying.
    There really is no denial that it failed just deflection as to who was responsible and some of the blame can be pushed all the way back to1930s and to 1999 when bipartisan support for electrical deregulation that created all of these private energy co-opts, Texas wasn't the only stated to do this in the 90s but with also it's isolated itself from the national grid (in the 1930s), limiting the state’s ability to import power when a massive loss happens. Texas is a special case, but I'm hopeful that something will come out of the resolve for this. This was 20 to 100 years in the making so it will be hard to point a finger at any one group.

If it is much colder there then your state and electric companies have prepared for that so you are able to maintain power. This is the longest that it has stayed this cold in Texas for 40 years or so. There was really no incentive for the electric companies there to do the same with their infrastructure ,as you have with yours, they wanted to keep cost down. Florida's power grid is not equipped to take on a week of sub-freezing temperatures either as it has never had to so they never spent the money to make it where it can.

I have friends and family in Texas and it was very scary for some. The town in West Texas that my parents live in just got water back today... The entire town was out of water! A friend of mine from there said this time last year we couldn't find toilet paper, now this year we have don't have toilet water.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Like you said, not shocking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Like you said, not shocking at all.
    I wish Fisher would just spill all the tea. Something is still holding him back and I am not sure what it is? Risk of being sued or what? He already burnt the bridge down and pissed on it lol. not sure what else there is to lose here
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I wish Fisher would just spill all the tea. Something is still holding him back and I am not sure what it is? Risk of being sued or what? He already burnt the bridge down and pissed on it lol. not sure what else there is to lose here
    Probably getting tea dumped on HIM.

Cyborg's lack of junk has been an issue LONG before Johns and New 52.

It did not come up as much because writers found something for him to do and had him around others.

Then came New 52 that had him as the "main" black person and least developed of the beautiful people in JLA.

At one point it was mainly him in merchandise (the few times he was in it).

Then the rise of Miles and Black Panther really did not help the cause.

And these fake woke writers need to get somewhere to sit down. Not every show is required to talk race or BLM. Of they will be at the unemployment office with Ray. Every thing can not be a racism story or black misery stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Watching the reaction to Monica Rambeau in Wandavision has been very bittersweet for me.

It's nice on the one hand to see how much people like the character and the surge of interest in her. On the other hand, it's sad to see just how terribly she was treated post Roger Stern. She was the leader of the Avengers but Gruenwald wanted her replaced as leader of the Avengers so much so that he fired Roger Stern when he opposed this. Like, seriously?

I hope she gets some recognition in the comics again.
    What happened to Monica is one of the few eye sores to Mark Gruenwald's legacy. His shenanigans derailed Monica, and lost one of the best writers to Avengers in Roger Stern. Even back then, I liked Monica over Storm. Even though I did not appreciate it then (I was in grade school), it was great that Monica & Storm were capable team leaders. I absolutely loved Monica during the Assault on Olympus story. That was the story that got me hooked on the Avengers as a kid. IMO, the franchise got derailed when John Byrne took over, and did not recover until Kurt Busiek. As I understand it, Roger told Mark that presenting Monica as fail-prone so Cap can be the team leader again would be seen as both sexist, and racist. I did not find that out the behind the scenes stuff until years later. Although I do recall that during the Thor story written by Tom DeFalco where Steve Rogers first lifts Mjolnir, Monica was shown having self-doubt while Cap was present. I thought it was a one-off thing, or a sub-plot to continue building her up, but it was part of a plan to remove her. Outside of Storm, Monica was a true powerhouse, with cosmic potential. It is still rare to see genuine black powerhouse characters.

Weirdly enough, the grade school version of me was made aware of the reasons for the identity switch of Lemar Hoskins from Bucky to Battlestar. A fan wrote to Mark explaining how the name "Bucky" or "Buck" was offensive to black people. I never knew the history of the word until reading that story. Mark printed the letter on Captain America's fan page, IIRC.

Mark used that enlightenment to create a new identity for Lemar. He even used the fan's letter as a story beat. Yeah, it is mind boggling how close-minded Mark was to Monica, yet receptive to Lemar. Monica always had the potential to be a big tie character over Lemar.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ty...?ocid=msedgntp

Tyler Perry Studios planning a strip club drama set in Atlanta for BET+.

Ugh. This fills me with so much dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    What happened to Monica is one of the few eye sores to Mark Gruenwald's legacy. His shenanigans derailed Monica, and lost one of the best writers to Avengers in Roger Stern. Even back then, I liked Monica over Storm. Even though I did not appreciate it then (I was in grade school), it was great that Monica & Storm were capable team leaders. I absolutely loved Monica during the Assault on Olympus story. That was the story that got me hooked on the Avengers as a kid. IMO, the franchise got derailed when John Byrne took over, and did not recover until Kurt Busiek. As I understand it, Roger told Mark that presenting Monica as fail-prone so Cap can be the team leader again would be seen as both sexist, and racist. I did not find that out the behind the scenes stuff until years later. Although I do recall that during the Thor story written by Tom DeFalco where Steve Rogers first lifts Mjolnir, Monica was shown having self-doubt while Cap was present. I thought it was a one-off thing, or a sub-plot to continue building her up, but it was part of a plan to remove her. Outside of Storm, Monica was a true powerhouse, with cosmic potential. It is still rare to see genuine black powerhouse characters.

Weirdly enough, the grade school version of me was made aware of the reasons for the identity switch of Lemar Hoskins from Bucky to Battlestar. A fan wrote to Mark explaining how the name "Bucky" or "Buck" was offensive to black people. I never knew the history of the word until reading that story. Mark printed the letter on Captain America's fan page, IIRC.

Mark used that enlightenment to create a new identity for Lemar. He even used the fan's letter as a story beat. Yeah, it is mind boggling how close-minded Mark was to Monica, yet receptive to Lemar. Monica always had the potential to be a big tie character over Lemar.

Isn't that John Walker as Cap though, not Steve Rogers? Battlestar never had much of a chance of becoming a big deal unless they had him stick around as Rogers' partner, after they took the mantle back from Walker. Although for that matter, being a sidekick rarely catapulted any character to being super successful, so not sure what route could have made Battlestar a breakout character.

In any event, agreed that Monica has been a character who should have had a bigger profile for a long time. Honestly, with all due respect to Wanda and Carol, I've always been a bigger fan of Monica.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Isn't that John Walker as Cap though, not Steve Rogers? Battlestar never had much of a chance of becoming a big deal unless they had him stick around as Rogers' partner, after they took the mantle back from Walker. Although for that matter, being a sidekick rarely catapulted any character to being super successful, so not sure what route could have made Battlestar a breakout character.

In any event, agreed that Monica has been a character who should have had a bigger profile for a long time. Honestly, with all due respect to Wanda and Carol, I've always been a bigger fan of Monica.
    You do what we saw with Tim Drake, War Machine and Nightwing.

You do a few minis. Maybe 2-4 and then try a solo run. Along with CONSTITENT usage.

Because you have to build something with them on their own to see if it will work.

That is why Storm is where she is. Settling for crumbs in Black Panther while she is an after thought in her own franchise.

Sure you get happy fans but at the end of the day-the book is called Black Panther or Cap America not Storm or Battlestar. The bean counters only pay attention to that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

Yes, that is John Walker in the Cap uniform.

Funny enough, Monica & Lemar enjoyed more spotlight than Black Panther during that time. BP had to settle for guest star status at that point. Falcon was brought back into the Cap book during the John Walker era.

It is just a matter of using the characters, and creatively doing so, as opposed to shipping them off to limbo. Lemar has super strength (class 10), and training similar to Steve Rogers, so he was not all that different than MCU Captain America/Winter Soldier.

Mark probably had more empathy for the character he created over the one Roger created.

I'd place Monica over Carol any day, and every day.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 02-24-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Looks like he wants to capitalize on the P Valley STARZ hype.

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of a name change to avoid any racist connotation, Marvel needs to apply a new code name for the X-Man, Darwin.

Madea Goes to Magic City...?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store