Page 655 of 827 FirstFirst ... 155555605645651652653654655656657658659665705755 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,825 of 12396
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    There have been a few FF cartoons over the years. One in the 60's, 1978, the 90's one where they crossed over with Daredevil and Spider-Man, and the one made by that french studio in 2005 I think. Dan Slott and Chris Yost wrote some episodes for it.
    They aren't a household name like they used to, but are still catchy enough to bring people in.

It certainly worked for the Flash. Morrison brought Barry Allen back from the dead, and Johns reestablished him.
    At some point in the late 90's DC had revamped nearly all thier 2nd tier characters with either younger versions, minority versions or both. Many of these books were selling better than the titles they replaced.

It didn't stop DC from walking back nearly every change they made. As long as the people behind these projects revere the classic versions of the characters we are going to see this happen again and again.

For example, if it had been up to Stan Lee that 90's X-Men cartoon would have been about the O5. Those were HIS ( in a manner of speaking) characters after all.

But in that case, there must have been someone at Saban who could read a comics sales list and add 2+2.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 11-21-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Heartbreaking.

Ultimate Member

Canada was, and is, brutal towards First Nations, as they're called in Canada. The residential schools are basically the peak of colonialism but even nowadays Native Canadian children are more likely to be taken from their families than White Canadian ones, from what I've heard. Frankly Idk how one can be ok with their religion being a part of this

Ultimate Member

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Canada was, and is, brutal towards First Nations, as they're called in Canada. The residential schools are basically the peak of colonialism but even nowadays Native Canadian children are more likely to be taken from their families than White Canadian ones, from what I've heard. Frankly Idk how one can be ok with their religion being a part of this
    It's so horrifying.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's so horrifying.
    Ikr. I haven't heard much about the American side of things, maybe because of the American exceptionalism b*******, but I'm sure it'll eventually come out

As for Canada, this has probably already been said here but those residential 'schools' still affect the First Nations to this day. Yet it seems neither the Canadian government nor the Christian churches are taking enough responsibility

Ultimate Member

My point is: why do they get chances just because they were once important yet a lot and of minority and female heroes don't get the chance in the first place
    Let me post what Redjack said in the John Stewart thread today.

Actually DC Comics actively and intentionally resisted the inclusion of black characters in specific and non-stereotypical POC in general throughout the silver age and well into the bronze because they thought racist southerners wouldn't buy comics featuring those ethnic groups. At the same time MARVEL was embracing the social zeitgeist in the USA, DC was digging in its heals to resist that progress.

using weird-colored aliens to fill the minority gap wasn't a creative decision. MULTIPLE creators tried to make the necessary inclusive changes, only to have them slapped down, erased or modified by editorial.
    Fantastic Four is not the issue. It's EDITORIAL and some WRITERS.

Monica (Spectrum) LEAD the Avengers. A new writer for Avengers TOSSED her aside and eventually Falcon went too.
    Bumblebee & Malcolm got tossed to the side as well in Teen Titans.
    We lost out on a black male Shazam.
    Excluding John Stewart and maybe Bronze Tiger-what black character did ANYTHING of Significance at DC in the 80s?
    More black folks have vanished at DC since the 2000s. Impulse lost his BBF (who was BBF of Chunk). Tim Drake lost his. Perry White had a black son.

At some point in the late 90's DC had revamped nearly all thier 2nd tier characters with either younger versions, minority versions or both. Many of these books were selling better than the titles they replaced.
    All of them sold including Conner Hawke & Steel. Kyle is the most successful POC at DC. Only one with about 200 solo issues. Steel is the most successful black one. Cassandra is the Asian one.

Then came Dan and Johns-ALIENATING a ton of fans while pandering to the classic. Who think DC is Highlander and there can only be one. Who don't seem to understand why folks DON'T want to read about Hal Jordan (While they take shots at John & Jo).

BANNED

Ikr. I haven't heard much about the American side of things, maybe because of the American exceptionalism b*******, but I'm sure it'll eventually come out

As for Canada, this has probably already been said here but those residential 'schools' still affect the First Nations to this day. Yet it seems neither the Canadian government nor the Christian churches are taking enough responsibility
    I'm sure it's pretty well written about, it's just that it's so expected of us in the US and far down the list of atrocities committed against the Native population (let alone against minorities in general) that the school thing isn't going to resonate when you have all the land theft, broken treaties, genocide, etc. People expect better of Canada, while forgetting they were a resource acquisition colony for the British Empire. It's true like the English peasant who got turned into a newt, they "got better". But there's still a history.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Monica (Spectrum) LEAD the Avengers. A new writer for Avengers TOSSED her aside and eventually Falcon went too.
    Excluding John Stewart and maybe Bronze Tiger-what black character did ANYTHING of Significance at DC in the 80s?
    More black folks have vanished at DC since the 2000s. Impulse lost his BBF (who was BBF of Chunk). Tim Drake lost his. Perry White had a black son.

All of them sold including Conner Hawke & Steel. Kyle is the most successful POC at DC. Only one with about 200 solo issues. Steel is the most successful black one. Cassandra is the Asian one.

Then came Dan and Johns-ALIENATING a ton of fans while pandering to the classic. Who think DC is Highlander and there can only be one. Who don't seem to understand why folks DON'T want to read about Hal Jordan (While they take shots at John & Jo).
    Wait, is this a thing? I've been saying this for years. The only thing holding him back has been DC not wanting a guy that similar to Superman having success. You change him to black, or anything clearly not white, and that distinction visually is taken care of and you have a powerful and well-established minority character that can go toe to toe with the big 3. I loved Zach Levi's Billy Batson, probably my favorite DC movie aside from the Joker of the newer movies, but if they ever need to recast that's the way to go.

Niffleheim

To this day Canada and many commonwealth countries still celebrates Empire Day or as it is currently known Victoria Day

The rate that First Nation mothers lose the custody of their kids at birth Is horrific.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I will never forget that Jim Shooter wanted Ferro-Lad to be black but DC editorial said no, so Shooter killed him off.

Cover for the next issue of my comic. Which version (if either) are you feeling?

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Wait, is this a thing? I've been saying this for years. The only thing holding him back has been DC not wanting a guy that similar to Superman having success. You change him to black, or anything clearly not white, and that distinction visually is taken care of and you have a powerful and well-established minority character that can go toe to toe with the big 3.
    I doubt that. If DC is going to mishandle a white character similar to Superman, making him black isn't necessarily going to help him. If anything, they'll end up screwing him over further if their track record with non-white characters is anything to go by.

Reading about how Canadian doctors forcibly sterilized indigenous women was the first step in me learning just how horrifically First Nations people were treated in that country. It's amazing how Canada has a reputation for being polite almost to a fault.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-22-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I will never forget that Jim Shooter wanted Ferro-Lad to be black but DC editorial said no, so Shooter killed him off.
    He also wanted Shadow Lass to be black, but Murray Boltinoff said no.
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Cover for the next issue of my comic. Which version (if either) are you feeling?

Mayhap not terribly helpful, but liked the left version for the background/fire escape but the right version for the main character/monster. So I guess right as that's probably more important storytelling-wise. Also the "CLUB" sign on the left looks muted, maybe changing from yellow on the boards/signage above to the color below (color blind, but looks greyish like the walls) and making "CLUB" yellow would stand out more. Also looks OK on the right, pops more. And the lighting on the right wing on the left hand drawing is a nice touch, not as obvious on the right-handed drawing. Sorry, again not very helpful.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

They're both great but I personally prefer the left version.

The popping colors appeal to me more.