Page 548 of 827 FirstFirst ... 48448498538544545546547548549550551552558598648 ... LastLast
Results 8,206 to 8,220 of 12394
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Making Wong more than a tea serving butler did more for "inclusion" than an minority Ancient One
    They could've made the Ancient One more than just a wise old Asian mentor as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They could've made the Ancient One more than just a wise old Asian mentor as well
    That is literally his character though. He has to die for Strange to become THE Dr. Strange.

If TAO is around, he/she woudl solve the problem instead of Strange.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    In the comics the character is the leader of an order of mystics headquartered in Tibet. The character's backstory was vague and only sparingly fleshed out in the comics.

It's not like you ever saw any other members of Strange's mystic order other than Mordo (a White guy in the comics) for years.

That backstory is even less relevant to the movies.

I get that people want to push for inclusion but when that push specifically concerns a character that is guaranteed to die at the 3/4 mark of the film maybe it's not that much of an issue, is my point.
    I mean, Strange is pretty far down on the list of comics characters that are a big deal for me personally, so obviously his supporting cast can't be super important to me, either. And like I said, never even watched the whole movie...

Still, kind of unsavory that "wise old Asian fellow" whose only role is to help out the white protagonist and never warrants much backstory or characterization of his own in the comics is devalued so further in the MCU that they decide he might as well be an ancient Celtic woman, because what does it matter?

I hear you, she/he was only in the movie to be killed off anyway, but again, I think that's kind of the problem. You know, it seems kind of like the problem with the Magical Negro trope, the POC character who isn't even really a character, and is only there to serve as helpful for the white guy's story. Even if you are going to have the character die, so Strange can become Sorcerer Supreme, you can still say you'll do better than just leaning into the stereotypes used decades back, when Dr. Strange was first created.

I mean, Rocket Racoon is a completely animated space rodent of some kind, and he gets characterization and development, over his appearances in the MCU. Isn't it kind of sad that an ancient Tibetan guy was treated worse?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

That is literally his character though. He has to die for Strange to become THE Dr. Strange.

If TAO is around, he/she woudl solve the problem instead of Strange.
    I meant his personality could've been updated from the stereotypical version from the older version

Eternals Trailer

This really didn't do anything for me, liked Shang trailer so much more.

Doesn't really matter what I thin kthough since i'll be there regardless lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Eternals Trailer

Same.

It's very pretty looking, I'll give it that.

They are going to have to come up with a real good reason that they are finally going intervene now when 2 separate space invasions didn't motivate them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Same.

It's very pretty looking, I'll give it that.

They are going to have to come up with a real good reason that they are finally going intervene now when 2 separate space invasions didn't motivate them before.
    Especially if MCU Thanos is a Deviant like his counterpart.

Ultimate Member

Eternals Trailer

The movie looks so plain.

Like I said in other thread, I was expecting some Kirby madness with this one.

The movie looks so quaint. I mean, nothing in the trailer jumped at me.

As much as people criticize Thor Ragnorak, it got a lot of Kirby within it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

If this wasn't a movie from Marvel Studios, based on this trailer, I wouldnt' give two shits about it. At all.

I use my wife as a barometer for casuals because she's seen most of the MCU movies but she doesn't care that much and she barely remembers what happens in most of them.

I showed her the trailer and she just said, "I don't get it," and "you can watch that one by yourself" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

If I didn't know who the Eternals were, I would have guessed it was one of those early 2000's existential artsy movies. Maybe with this one Chloe got to do her own thing and have the movie be a little less joke-y, can't really judge too much from one trailer though., Did anyone else have a bit of a time seeing everything? It looked kind of dark to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    If I didn't know who the Eternals were, I would have guessed it was one of those early 2000's existential artsy movies. Maybe with this one Chloe got to do her own thing and have the movie be a little less joke-y, can't really judge too much from one trailer though., Did anyone else have a bit of a time seeing everything? It looked kind of dark to me.
    I think the problem is they didn't give any hint of any kind of plot or conflict to be interested in. Just, here's some characters who have apparently been around since caveman times, and apparently some kind of aliens had something to do with it. That is obviously nothing to get excited about by itself, so I guess maybe they were just trying to show us that the movie will be pretty to look at.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member

Especially if MCU Thanos is a Deviant like his counterpart.
    Maybe that's part of the plot. One of thier ancestral enemies was conducting a universal purge while these guys were going "Damn, I look good in this" for 2000 years and now there are consequences, lol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Exactly.

And I agree 100% about the dark part.

It looks...I don't know...experimental? And I got a slight Inhumans feeling...a cold chilly feeling.

Is this the movie where someone in the main cast is supposed to be gay?

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Is this the movie where someone in the main cast is supposed to be gay?
    Yes, it's Phastos played by Brian Tyree Henry.

The reactions to this first trailer have been very polarized, most people I've seen are either saying it looks beautiful and great or that it looks boring and pretentious. I'm honestly a bit worried that if this movie flops that Marvel and other studios will be even more hesitant to include gay characters.

This is the first movie with a gay male superhero, it should be a big deal.