Page 638 of 826 FirstFirst ... 138538588628634635636637638639640641642648688738 ... LastLast
Results 9,556 to 9,570 of 12382
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Anyone being honest with themselves knows that the violence is already happening, and I have yet to see anyone that needs an excuse to commit said violence.

That is the entire problem here.
    THIS right here.

Dave's show is a SMALL very SMALL part of a bigger issue. He is not siding with the ones who are making the bills going after the LGBTQA community. Those guys were already at work back when Dave was starring on Buddies-the spinoff of Home Improvement that he FOUGHT to keep off DVD and lost.

But yeah, the *real* problem is trans people making noise about it and wanting a multi-millionaire to stop making their lives worse and wanting a company to not pay people to do it. Christ.
    So Dave all by himself is doing that. He is that powerful? NOBODY buys that logic.

What law has he passed that is anti-LGBTQA? I did not see him standing with Governor Greg Abbott signing those toxic bills to save Chick Fila in 2019.

Once again he is not creating and passing these laws. Folks elected to those positions are.

When do we start getting the folks out of office?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Justice League..ouch!.

Yeah, I think Marvel stretched themselves a little here. Introducing ten (10) characters into a single movie is much. The thing with Jolie is she has a natural charisma that the leads don't have (they seem a bit wooden).

I also think that Chloe Zhao sensibilities might not have been the best choice here (although she has said that some creative decisions were already laid out before she took on the project). Some of the reviews have noted just how uneven the movie is.
    Jolie is probably the least good actor of the bunch.

As for Zhao, this movie seems like the MCU's attempt at making a movie that's not what people complain about being the typical MCU.

Justice League..ouch!.

Yeah, I think Marvel stretched themselves a little here. Introducing ten (10) characters into a single movie is much. The thing with Jolie is she has a natural charisma that the leads don't have (they seem a bit wooden).

I also think that Chloe Zhao sensibilities might not have been the best choice here (although she has said that some creative decisions were already laid out before she took on the project). Some of the reviews have noted just how uneven the movie is.
    People loved the casting but the people playing sersei and ikaris just seem so.... boring? No charisma at all. Just big standard mediocre actors.

Ditto for jon snow dude, however much hes in the movie lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    THIS right here.

Dave's show is a SMALL very SMALL part of a bigger issue. He is not siding with the ones who are making the bills going after the LGBTQA community. Those guys were already at work back when Dave was starring on Buddies-the spinoff of Home Improvement that he FOUGHT to keep off DVD and lost.

So Dave all by himself is doing that. He is that powerful? NOBODY buys that logic.

What law has he passed that is anti-LGBTQA? I did not see him standing with Governor Greg Abbott signing those toxic bills to save Chick Fila in 2019.

Once again he is not creating and passing these laws. Folks elected to those positions are.

I mean, you don't have to be responsible for everything to be criticized

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    People loved the casting but the people playing sersei and ikaris just seem so.... boring? No charisma at all. Just big standard mediocre actors.

Ditto for jon snow dude, however much hes in the movie lol
    I don't know much about Gemma Chan outside of Crazy Rich Asians but the other 2 were on GoT and I thought they did ok there. Tbh, I wasn't really as excited for this as Shang-Chi, but I can't imagine it's terrible

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

One guy's take...

Is Dave personally writing those laws?

No.

Is Dave working to cement a status quo where those laws are easier to pass because of an anti-trans status quo?

Obviously.

Should anyone be trying to dream up a scenario where Dave is not doing exactly that?

No.

If the guy is going to be a part of propping up that status quo, it's on him.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's take...

Is Dave personally writing those laws?

No.

Is Dave working to cement a status quo where those laws are easier to pass because of an anti-trans status quo?

Obviously.

Should anyone be trying to dream up a scenario where Dave is not doing exactly that?

No.

If the guy is going to be a part of propping up that status quo, it's on him.
    Really, as far as any argument suggesting people shouldn't blame Dave for whatever is going on with discrimination or violence against trans folk, or pointing out how much Dave is not responsible for, so why are people coming after him ... bears keeping in mind, Dave didn't have to be a part of the conversation about trans people, at all.

It's not like he was just talking about all kinds of other stuff, and trans folk just starting yelling, "Dave Chappelle!" without him doing anything.

He chose to put himself out there on the issue. He's the one who decided to take comedy specials, where he could have talked about literally anything, and the only ostensible point was to get people to laugh, and make a big point of making a stand about trans issues.

I mean, he has every right to do that, absolutely. But, it's BS to suggest he should be able to do that, but then not have trans people (or allies) have any opinion about it. If he didn't want trans folk to say anything, he could have just chosen to not go on and on about trans folk, in his specials.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Really, as far as any argument suggesting people shouldn't blame Dave for whatever is going on with discrimination or violence against trans folk, or pointing out how much Dave is not responsible for, so why are people coming after him ... bears keeping in mind, Dave didn't have to be a part of the conversation about trans people, at all.

It's not like he was just talking about all kinds of other stuff, and trans folk just starting yelling, "Dave Chappelle!" without him doing anything.

He chose to put himself out there on the issue. He's the one who decided to take comedy specials, where he could have talked about literally anything, and the only ostensible point was to get people to laugh, and make a big point of making a stand about trans issues.

I mean, he has every right to do that, absolutely. But, it's BS to suggest he should be able to do that, but then not have trans people (or allies) have any opinion about it. If he didn't want trans folk to say anything, he could have just chosen to not go on and on about trans folk, in his specials.
    My own "Look, Let's Stop Trying To Cover For Hot Garbage..." take goes a little something like this...

You know what it looks like when someone actually doesn't want to be a part of the really "Past The Point Of No Return..." contingent when it comes to this issue?

(Particularly so when the person in question has the kind of pull Dave has at Netflix...)

Tacked onto the front of every single special that they release, there is a fifteen minute documentary on anti-trans violence. One that there is no way to simply skip/fast forward through.

Past that, such a person would probably pretty clearly separate themselves from that sort of violence after said doc.

Otherwise?

Why should I, as a viewer, be doing all of the heavy lifting on creating a scenario where Dave is not actually playing a role in maintaining an anti-trans status quo that obviously includes anti-trans violence?

It is on him. Not us.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth. If a cop actually murders someone, that's a felony and he should be prosecuted for it. How is what Dave Chappelle said even close to that?
    Dave got up on stage and aligned himself with the people who forment anti-trans violence on both sides of the atlantic while loudly questioning the validity of trans identities. Erasure is a form of violence, dude, and it is the foundation on which much of the rest of the violence stands. Dave put some bricks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Dave got up on stage and aligned himself with the people who forment anti-trans violence on both sides of the atlantic while loudly questioning the validity of trans identities. Erasure is a form of violence, dude, and it is the foundation on which much of the rest of the violence stands. Dave put some bricks there.
    Look, I don't like the idea of shutting anyone up, whether through actual government censorship or the de facto censorship where pressure groups keep someone from having a platform. Yes, there have been many murders of transgender individuals over the last couple of years. I just don't think getting someone off the air or off of their platform will really change anything. I think all it accomplishes is that the pressure group celebrates for a day or two, and then it just goes back to business as usual. I mean, do you really think there's anyone out there who is all ready to go out and physically attack transgender individuals, but reconsiders because some comedian got thrown off of Netflix? Get real.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 10-25-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Look, I don't like the idea of shutting anyone up, whether through actual government censorship or the de facto censorship where pressure groups keep someone from having a platform. Yes, there have been many murders of transgender individuals over the last couple of years. I just don't think getting someone off the air or off of their platform will really change anything. I think all it accomplishes is that the pressure group celebrates for a day or two, and then it just goes back to business as usual. I mean, do you really think there's anyone out there who is all ready to go out and physically attack transgender individuals, but reconsiders because some comedian got thrown off of Netflix? Get real.
    The kind of anti-trans rhetoric that Dave Chapelle validated in his special has real consequences for real people. 33 states have tried to put anti-trans laws on the books. Here's the story of a trans person who struggled with assisted living, suffering from both mundane bigotry that invalidated her identity (just like Chapelle did) to more serious and dangerous kinds -- but all are rooted in the same kind of bigotry that Chapelle aligned himself with.

I went through a very similar situation as the trans elder in this article, and it happened here in California where trans people are supposedly protected.

After a terrible event that left me with two broken legs, I faced a couple of surgeries to get put back together. Once that was completed I was told that I would need to be in a nursing home/rehab center for months to regain my ability to walk. So they had to find a long term care facility to put me, and as you might guess, no one wanted me because I am trans. Finally, one location did take me, although they were 30 miles from my home, which prevented my wife from visiting (she doesn’t drive). Their rooms take 3 people each, and when I arrived they were trying to put me in with two men. I rather exploded at that idea because I am a woman! Their response was, “Well, you don’t expect us to put you in with women, do you?” My answer was “Yeah, since I’m a woman! Duh.” They refused, and instead cleared a room and put me in by myself.

As great as that sounds to have a private room, it wasn’t because then they were losing 2/3rds of the money they could be making on that room, so the treatment I received was horrific at best. The doctor in charge of my treatment told me right up front on the first day that she thought I was an abomination, and she would do what she could to prevent my access to estrogen and others things that kept me alive as a trans person.

I should note that at the time this all happened, I was fully transitioned, although that had only happened less than a year before the incident.

There is much more to the story that I won’t get into the details of, with the exception that I want to note that the doctor actively worked to kill me. This is not hyperbole, this is fact. She came very close to succeeding in her attempt, but luckily I was saved by a friend who was able to get me out of there. I was told at that point that I had less than 24 hours to live, if my friend had not been successful. I now suffer with permanent damage that will almost certainly shorten my life. And remember that all this happened in the trans-friendly state of California. And also this was a doctor, whose supposed creed is “First do no harm.” That’s how deep the hatred goes for trans people everywhere.
    Chapelle validated the bigotry of the already bigoted. He contributed to harm. He continues to double down on that harm. He doesn't need to be given a bunch of money or a new platform to triple down on it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-26-2021 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post

I don't know much about Gemma Chan outside of Crazy Rich Asians but the other 2 were on GoT and I thought they did ok there. Tbh, I wasn't really as excited for this as Shang-Chi, but I can't imagine it's terrible
    I think that is the difference between TV and movies though.

Doing ok on TV comes off as wooden on the big screen.

Emilia hasn't had much luck either.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think that is the difference between TV and movies though.

Doing ok on TV comes off as wooden on the big screen.

Emilia hasn't had much luck either.
    Very true particularly with GoT.

Emilia Clarke isn't a great actor. I would argue that Kit Harrington isn't great either.

I actually liked Richard Madden in that Bodyguard series that he did on BBC but that seemed to play to his strength....stoic and "straight laced".

Very true particularly with GoT.

Emilia Clarke isn't a great actor. I would argue that Kit Harrington isn't great either.

I actually liked Richard Madden in that Bodyguard series that he did on BBC but that seemed to play to his strength....stoic and "straight laced".
    It seems like he is playing stoic and straight laced once again, which might work for the movie. But for a lead to be that, the co lead has to be more charismatic and I haven't seen that from the Minerva chick.

One of the most talked about moments in Avengers: Endgame occurred during the final battle, when the female heroes of the MCU gathered to help Captain Marvel fight her way through Thanos' forces with the Infinity Gauntlet.

This sequence has come to be known as the "A-Force scene," and while some thought it was cool, others felt it was way too hokey and ill-conceived. If you happen to fall into the latter category, it may surprise you to learn that the scene was originally perceived as being even more pandering.

In the new book, The Story of Marvel Studios: The Making of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Endgame producer Trinh Tran admits that test-screening audiences weren't particularly fond of this "girl power" moment.

"When we started screen-testing it, there was a little concern for ‘Does it come off [as]pandering?’ Are we going to get people saying, ‘Oh you’re just putting that scene in there just to put the scene in there. Does it actually have a story to tell with the rest of the narrative?’ That was always a concern in the back of our heads."

Tran really wanted this sequence to stay in the movie, so additional scenes were shot featuring the same female characters in smaller groups in an effort to make it "flow more naturally." Whether this worked or not is obviously open for debate!

What did you guys make of the "A-Force" scene? Did you find it silly/pandering, or a much-needed moment to shine the spotlight on the female heroes of the MCU?
    It didn't work but it wasn't a big deal at all that it was made to be. It was 100% "pandering" but so was half the battle lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The kind of anti-trans rhetoric that Dave Chapelle validated in his special has real consequences for real people. 33 states have tried to put anti-trans laws on the books. Here's the story of a trans person who struggled with assisted living, suffering from both mundane bigotry that invalidated her identity (just like Chapelle did) to more serious and dangerous kinds -- but all are rooted in the same kind of bigotry that Chapelle aligned himself with.

Chapelle validated the bigotry of the already bigoted. He contributed to harm. He continues to double down on that harm. He doesn't need to be given a bunch of money or a new platform to triple down on it.
    You could post 1000 stories about transgender individuals being physically attacked and I would feel sympathy for every one of them, but none of it would make me believe that Dave Chappelle caused any of it with his words. Correlation does not equal causation. I know it makes some people feel good to win a symbolic battle when the real battle seems almost impossible to win, but I still don't want to waste time fighting symbolic battles when the real battles are so much more important. I'd rather spend my time fighting state legislators who submit anti-trans bills than fighting to get Dave Chappelle de-platformed.
    Watching television is not an activity.