Page 792 of 828 FirstFirst ... 292692742782788789790791792793794795796802 ... LastLast
Results 11,866 to 11,880 of 12407
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Shang Chi was marvel doing a kung fu movie, it felt like...getting chinese food from Panda Express.
    Wait... Isn't Panda Express a(n American) Chinese Food place?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Wait... Isn't Panda Express a(n American) Chinese Food place?
    That's the point. It's a corporate imitation rather than the real thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's the point. It's a corporate imitation rather than the real thing.
    From some of what I've learned in the past, "What counts as the real thing?" is what I'm wondering.

I mean, Shang Chi was the MCU doing a kung-fu movie, so given it needed to blend the basic superhero concept of Marvel with kung-fu and the at this point high expectations of continuing the expansion of the MCU ... what would you expect it to feel like?

I mean, I've never eaten at Panda Express personally, so while I take the point, to some degree the comparison is lost on me. I thought Shang Chi was a fun kung-fu homage from the MCU, up to the point when giant CGI dragons are flying around. I think a final battle of just awesome 1-on-1 martial arts between the hero and main villain would have been a far better climax, but huge CGI battles are how MCU movies show it's The Big Fight, so ...

I mean, yeah, it wasn't perfect. Not saying any of the MCU stuff is ... but I guess, I'll point out how I don't think I ever finished Andor and think I've just managed one episode of Ahsoka, in like 4 installments, versus that I immediately watched the new episode of Loki and am interested to see how the new season continues.

Just speaking for myself of course, but I guess at least the MCU can hold my attention. Secret Invasion honestly was imo the worst of the shows, and while I won't re-watch, they managed to keep me watching until the end. Eternals is maybe ... nah, I didn't like Eternals much, but didn't finish the first Dr. Strange and never watched The Dark World. So again, not like I'm saying the MCU can do no wrong. I just don't see the DC movies or Star Wars or anybody else really keeping up with them.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I liked Shang Chi.

It did jump the shark with the random dragons though for sure. Totally unnecessary for a movie that was very personal.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I wonder why Jada Pinkett insists on putting her business into the public eye.

Her revealing that herself and Will Smith have been completely separated for 7 years has re-contextualized the slap and it's even made Will Smith look worse.

She even said she thought the slap was a skit and she wasn't really offended by what Chris Rock. *sigh*. She also mentioned that Rock asked her out a while back because he thought that she and Will had separated. *long sigh*.

The way I was raised, conventional wisdom dictates that you don't give people weapons to use against yourself and your loved ones.

I think celebrities of that stature live in clouds and towers so high, this stuff doesn't affect them at all.

Sure, she gave peopel "weapons" but the weapons don't reach her lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think celebrities of that stature live in clouds and towers so high, this stuff doesn't affect them at all.

Perhaps.

I don't think Jada even cares anymore about this point. I think she just wants to get it all out.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I wonder why Jada Pinkett insists on putting her business into the public eye.

Her revealing that herself and Will Smith have been completely separated for 7 years has re-contextualized the slap and it's even made Will Smith look worse.

She even said she thought the slap was a skit and she wasn't really offended by what Chris Rock. *sigh*. She also mentioned that Rock asked her out a while back because he thought that she and Will had separated. *long sigh*.

The way I was raised, conventional wisdom dictates that you don't give people weapons to use against yourself and your loved ones.
    Talking about deeply personal stuff on Red Table Talk made her relevant again. It's almost her brand at this point.

Uncharacteristically I'm gonna shoot Willie some bail- Maybe he full well knows that when the divorce breaks, she's going to take nearly half of everything. Their kids are grown, both he and his wife have been in the industry for decades. Of course I'm going to say cut you losses but there is nothing left for her but material monetization of this situation. Nothing for him but holding on to half of several hundreds of millions of dollars. Shame of it be damned too. Could he care for his money even more than his feelings for her??
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Talking about deeply personal stuff on Red Table Talk made her relevant again. It's almost her brand at this point.
    Quoted in agreement.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Uncharacteristically I'm gonna shoot Willie some bail- Maybe he full well knows that when the divorce breaks, she's going to take nearly half of everything. Their kids are grown, both he and his wife have been in the industry for decades. Of course I'm going to say cut you losses but there is nothing left for her but material monetization of this situation. Nothing for him but holding on to half of several hundreds of millions of dollars. Shame of it be damned too. Could he care for his money even more than his feelings for her??
    I watched one of the Red Table Talks where Will said he doesn't believe in divorce.

To him, it's a complete no-no no matter what. His first wife pretty much had to tear herself away and file for divorce.

It could be that Jada wants to leave but Will doesn't want her to go. Jada said that she and Will haven't referred to themselves as husband and wife for a good long while (outside of the night of the slap). Maybe Jada's latest book will be the trigger to just "end it all" (seriously, she's still saying Tupac is her soul mate, a man that wasn't on speaking terms with her when he died about 25 years).
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-13-2023 at 01:47 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Yeah it's the kids behind closed doors that it reaches.

Especially the ones still in school.

Imagine what Dwayne Wade's oldest son had to deal with. His mom's antics, his little sister discovering exploring her sexuality and getting all the attention, a half brother and Gabrielle Union. He's NOT in college yet.

Rasheed Wallace said he had to clean up his antics because his 3 kids caught hell when he did something in Portland.

Invincible Member

FD Signifer is somewhat of a armchair "leftist" but I think he has an interesting on the Will/Jada situation. I don't agree with some of the assertions he makes, but I do think he's close to right when he suggests part of the anger towards Jada is from our desire to see Will as a clean cut dude with a perfect image.

Jada is talking to promote her book. I'm sure she's not saying anything Will is unaware of or doesn't want out there. People are definitely coming down harder on her than warranted, imo. And yeah, it does have to do with how we view Will Smith.