Page 476 of 827 FirstFirst ... 376426466472473474475476477478479480486526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 12392
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yeah, these are some of the most obscure Seuss books, but I still have a problem with the notion of trying to erase these books from existence. I mean, how long before some libraries decide that if it's good enough for the publisher to no longer publish the books, then it's good enough for the library to stop having them on the shelves? I prefer the disclaimer route as Disney is doing with the Muppets, rather than just locking them away in a vault, as Disney did with Song of the South.
    There's a discussion to be had about allowing controversial material to exist and be consumed, but it's a little different when it's the company themselves saying some of this imagery is dated and we weren't making money on it so we'll let it go out of print. To me it'd be a different debate if say it were already in a library or a store and people were protesting to stop other people from seeing it.

La'Ron Readus discusses Mileena being played by a black woman in the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie. @4:42.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

La'Ron Readus discusses Mileena being played by a black woman in the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie. @4:42.
    The minor controversy about Mileena’s casting hurt my brain.

There’s a group of people that are triggered every time they see a black female in prominent sci-fi, fantasy or superhero hero roles. That’s why there’s so many complaints about Michael Burnham of Star Trek being too competent (which is stupid because the opening of the series went out of its way to show the opposite) and Moon Girl being the smartest person in the Marvel universe. This stuff is tiring and seriously these people need to get over their racism and stop whining about everything.

Mileena, Shao Khan and Kitana aren’t from the Earth realm but they are human looking. Insisting they look like a particular race is totally stupid. It didn’t even stick out to me as something unusual until I started reading some of the complaints online.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Just found out HBO Max has the Static Shock cartoon. Up until last week I'd never sat, sat through it, hell I was grown and out the house when it came out. Lots of guns in it to my surprise lol and I'm only a couple episodes in. I tried to look for any other Milestone characters to cameo in the thumnails but I didn't see any if they did.

The best friend though, I mean c'mon he's everything but a brotha. I get why, still. It lasted 4 seasons which is pretty good ground work for a character that should be way bigger in the public eye than he is.
    I vaguely remember Static having a female sidekick in the comics. I think her name was Dusk? I know she got killed off at some point.

And he had also had a White non powered buddy that he did nerd stuff with. I think the cartoon combined them into one character. A nerd best buddy that ends up becoming a heroic sidekick.

I don't think Dusk ever made it into the cartoon. Or any other Milestone characters for that matter.

I could be way off. It's been a minute since I've seen the cartoons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I vaguely remember Static having a female sidekick in the comics. I think her name was Dusk? I know she got killed off at some point.

And he had also had a White non powered buddy that he did nerd stuff with. I think the cartoon combined them into one character. A nerd best buddy that ends up becoming a heroic sidekick.

I don't think Dusk ever made it into the cartoon. Or any other Milestone characters for that matter.

Because I followed the show almost exclusively, the only ones I know are of the trivia variety that you've pretty much covered. So Rick Stone becoming Richie Foley and being a composite character merging Rick with comic's Frieda (who was Virgil's secret keeper in the comics, with her love interest aspects splitting of to Daisy, as you mentioned), and Martin Scaponi becoming Francis Stone and overall becoming a different character with the same name of Hotstreak, albeit still general Static's antagonist.

Static Shock is actually kind of known for being pretty much an alternate universe/reimagining rather than any sort of adaptation. Though, with as popular as the show got, and with some of the same creatives helming the show, it makes for a good example of adaptations working wonderfully even if it doesn't stick devotedly to its source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The minor controversy about Mileena’s casting hurt my brain.

There’s a group of people that are triggered every time they see a black female in prominent sci-fi, fantasy or superhero hero roles. That’s why there’s so many complaints about Michael Burnham of Star Trek being too competent (which is stupid because the opening of the series went out of its way to show the opposite) and Moon Girl being the smartest person in the Marvel universe. This stuff is tiring and seriously these people need to get over their racism and stop whining about everything.

Mileena, Shao Khan and Kitana aren’t from the Earth realm but they are human looking. Insisting they look like a particular race is totally stupid. It didn’t even stick out to me as something unusual until I started reading some of the complaints online.
    It is a bit complicated for me. Mileena and Kitana were clearly Asian-coded if not Asian in appearance. But it is only recently they have actually been given the appearances of Asian women. I would say if they had always been designed as Asian women, it would be questionable for them to be depicted as anything other than Asian women even if they aren't from Earth (see Flora and Musa from Winx as an example).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Dusk was injured while protecting Wade (who died) and she left Dakota in the comic. She Bang is a sort version of Dusk minus the shield Dusk had in the comic.

Rich became Richie in the comic and was gay on BOTH. The cartoon just could not admit to it onscreen according to McDuffie.

Other Milestone cameos-

Puff & Dust (I think that is their names) was either gender or race swap. I have to look at my comics to be sure. In comics both were females. Who had a crush on Static.

One of Blood Syndicate was shown as a villain-Aquafina I think is her name in comics.

Wade was taken out early in the pilot unlike the comic.

Alva from Hardware is mentioned.

The episode Jimmy appeared to be based on the final published issue of Static that dealt with school gun violence.

Felix and a white guy who Virgil hung out with were not in the series.

B2K do have a cameo in the cartoon like the Lost Boys in the comic. BOTH marked the final time we saw those version of the group. B2k broke up and Lost Boys' had a member killed before the issue and episodes came out.

One issue of Static (or 2) became actual episodes or inspired by them. One of those issues may have been written by the first black woman to EVER write a comic under the DC banner in 1996 (Felicia Henderson would do it in 2006).

Lets not forget the fits over-

A black woman in Red Hood (for 2 issues)
    A black girl on the cover of Catwoman (introducing the Rascals)
    Lets not forget Vagrant Queen-they went after the writer before the show was even greenlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Dusk was injured while protecting Wade (who died) and she left Dakota in the comic. She Bang is a sort version of Dusk minus the shield Dusk had in the comic.

Rich became Richie in the comic and was gay on BOTH. The cartoon just could not admit to it onscreen according to McDuffie.

Other Milestone cameos-

Puff & Dust (I think that is their names) was either gender or race swap. I have to look at my comics to be sure. In comics both were females. Who had a crush on Static.

One of Blood Syndicate was shown as a villain-Aquafina I think is her name in comics.

Wade was taken out early in the pilot unlike the comic.

Alva from Hardware is mentioned.

The episode Jimmy appeared to be based on the final published issue of Static that dealt with school gun violence.

Felix and a white guy who Virgil hung out with were not in the series.

B2K do have a cameo in the cartoon like the Lost Boys in the comic. BOTH marked the final time we saw those version of the group. B2k broke up and Lost Boys' had a member killed before the issue and episodes came out.

One issue of Static (or 2) became actual episodes or inspired by them. One of those issues may have been written by the first black woman to EVER write a comic under the DC banner in 1996 (Felicia Henderson would do it in 2006).

Lets not forget the fits over-

A black woman in Red Hood (for 2 issues)
    A black girl on the cover of Catwoman (introducing the Rascals)
    Lets not forget Vagrant Queen-they went after the writer before the show was even greenlighted.

Coil and Puff in the comics & Onyx and Puff in the cartoon

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bl...?ocid=msedgntp

Whelp, another case of covert racism. Nadria Tucker, a writer on Superman and Lois discusses racism and sexism after being fired from the show for pointing out problems with those exact issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bl...?ocid=msedgntp

Whelp, another case of covert racism. Nadria Tucker, a writer on Superman and Lois discusses racism and sexism after being fired from the show for pointing out problems with those exact issues.
    Ehh. Seems like her ideas just sucked. I’m not complaining since the show is actually good and that “Black villain” is a compelling character so far! I need more shows like this and less of the far left shows that the CW is known for producing

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Ehh. Seems like her ideas just sucked. I’m not complaining since the show is actually good and that “Black villain” is a compelling character so far! I need more shows like this and less of the far left shows that the CW is known for producing
    Cutting me too jokes and asking to have black people other than the villains isn't a story problem. It isn't even "far left", if such a thing exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Gotta read between the lines. When she asks for more Black people on the show he says they gotta ship them in since there's not a lot of Black people in Canada. Why not just say okay we'll get more poc in the show.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 03-04-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Invincible Member

Video about Golden Age African-American comics artist Matt Baker

Gamers are mad because they are toning down the sex appeal of the female rabbit in Space Jam 2.

the rabbit

rabbit

What is wrong with people lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Coil and Puff in the comics & Onyx and Puff in the cartoon
    Knew I messed up some how.

Gotta read between the lines. When she asks for more Black people on the show he says they gotta ship them in since there's not a lot of Black people in Canada. Why not just say okay we'll get more poc in the show.
    Did some research..

The CW shows are filmed in Vancouver. Whose black population is 2%. It has a large Asian population.

Now how is every other show does not have issues with finding black folks?

I suspect all these shows share the same casting agency. Why not share extras?
    It's not like it has NOT been done before.

Levar Burton's stand in-somehow found a way to be in TNG, DS9, Star Trek First Contact, Enterprise, Voyager and UPN sitcoms.

Animorphs, Alex Mack, Are you Afraid of the Dark, Journey of Allen Strange & Famous Jett Jackson same thing.

While the black leads of these shows were American, the black extras were Canadians.