Page 17 of 827 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Any fans of WITCH?

Oh, that's legit one of my favorite shows. Partially nostalgia since I was a kid when it was on, but I watch it every once in a while and it holds up pretty well. It's just good TV. Never read the comics (should do that one of these days) but I always liked that the black girl was the shy one, rather than outgoing and sassy like the ones on every other show at the time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I honestly think, now that Tony is back fully, this book just passes under the hater radar.
    Is the book about a black female??

Is the writer a black female? Who we saw had a petition to get her to write the book.

And the guy I won't name lead the charge in trashing Riri Williams-he will scream his book is better than Riri like he is doing with WASP and even Batman.

She better have THICK SKIN now.

All those folks saw was an Iron Man book with HER-ignoring the fact she went by her own name. Unlike Doom.

I've read Eve's twitter feed, she is really positive and telling folks to preorder. I don't think book will succeed, but for her sake I hope it does.
    I think it will do well more as a trade. It might last one volume but trade sales will tell a different story.

And in the end-at least she got a shot using her own name.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I love Peter Chung's character designs and art style in general. He was also behind Aeon Flux and did character designs for The Phantom 2040. That's another Saturday morning cartoon that had this subtlety and substance to it, like Galaxy Rangers. Maybe not quite on the level of a Batman TAS or a Gargoyles, but definitely worthy of standing toe to toe with the Marvel cartoons of the era.
    Aeon Flux is probably one of my favorite concepts overall -- I enjoyed the original animated series, the video game, and even the movie starring Cherise Theron. Chung was way ahead of the game back then -- I'd like to see him helm more animated projects in the future but his IMDB doesn't really list anything outside of Aeon and The Animatrix.

We've come a long way since then -- I posted this on another thread a while ago but thought I'd post it here in case anyone missed it and wanted to check it out. I'd love to see a series like this in primetime television: in a world where Cleveland Brown can get syndication, it's tragic that concepts like this don't get more traction with the networks, but I suppose that's where Netflix comes in with shows like Voltron and Castlevania.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Ultimate Member

Any fans of WITCH?
    Never saw it but it kind of reminds me of another show from Netflix called LoliRock -- the French seem to have some pretty good animated programs style wise: Wakfu and Miraculous Ladybug are two others that immediately come to mind.

Seems like a crossover of Sailor Moon, Jem, and Pokemon, which isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-20-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Ah, Jackie Chan Adventures. A show that should have been a flop (given the history of cartoons based on action stars) but managed to be a delightful hit.

Invincible Member

Ah, Jackie Chan Adventures. A show that should have been a flop (given the history of cartoons based on action stars) but managed to be a delightful hit.
    Someone I used to live with was a big fan of this show back when it originally aired. Didn't Joe Mad do designs for this cartoon?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Someone I used to live with was a big fan of this show back when it originally aired. Didn't Joe Mad do designs for this cartoon?
    Jeff Matsuda -- also was the main character designer behind the Batman series.

Started out with Image working on Liefield's books then did some work for Marvel's X-Books before jumping to animation.

I think Joe Mad did Battle Chasers then character design for the game Darksiders.

Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-21-2018 at 04:54 AM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I remember how back then anime purists thought Jeff Matsuda was the devil. "Teen Titans looks so derivative, desu!"
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

People are already SO mad that Eve Ewing is going to be writing Iron Heart.

Sorry. Let me reword that.

"Internet people" who were never going to buy a copy of Iron Heart, are so fake outraged that Marvel created the character, and is letting someone they don't know write her.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    People are already SO mad that Eve Ewing is going to be writing Iron Heart.

Sorry. Let me reword that.

"Internet people" who were never going to buy a copy of Iron Heart, are so fake outraged that Marvel created the character, and is letting someone they don't know write her.
    Damn really? I honestly thought it would just be ignored lol.

I should have known better.

It is doubly funny considering one of the arguments for the outrage was that they should just give her her (and the other recent legacy characters) own book and not replace Stark.

Personally, if I cared about Ironheart at all, I would be bitter they are putting a non-comic writer on the book, as the track record for that working in the books i've read is pretty damn low. Just a different skill set than non-fiction novels and such.

But, since I don't care about Ironheart, *shrug*

Anyway, how has champions been since Waid left? I wanted to like it really bad but absolutely hated Waid's writing and gave up after like issue 5. How has it been since?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Damn really? I honestly thought it would just be ignored lol.

I should have known better.

It is doubly funny considering one of the arguments for the outrage was that they should just give her her (and the other recent legacy characters) own book and not replace Stark.

Personally, if I cared about Ironheart at all, I would be bitter they are putting a non-comic writer on the book, as the track record for that working in the books i've read is pretty damn low. Just a different skill set than non-fiction novels and such.

But, since I don't care about Ironheart, *shrug*

Anyway, how has champions been since Waid left? I wanted to like it really bad but absolutely hated Waid's writing and gave up after like issue 5. How has it been since?
    I feel like they don't really know what to do with the book honestly.

I've always thought they should have just mixed Nova, Ms. Marvel, and Spider-Man into a rebooted New Warriors instead. All-New Ultimates was basically the Ultimate New Warriors anyway. Heck throw Bombshell, Goldballs, Cloak and Dagger in there along with maybe Night Thrasher as their "Professor X" and I think that's a pretty solid "New" New Warriors.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I feel like they don't really know what to do with the book honestly.

I've always thought they should have just mixed Nova, Ms. Marvel, and Spider-Man into a rebooted New Warriors instead. All-New Ultimates was basically the Ultimate New Warriors anyway. Heck throw Bombshell, Goldballs, Cloak and Dagger in there along with maybe Night Thrasher as their "Professor X" and I think that's a pretty solid "New" New Warriors.
    Stupid question but I assume Miles was the Spider-Man you were referring too?

Jordan Chiles, the winner of the USA Gymnastics Championships silver medal cosplayed as Wonder Woman during her routine.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-real-life-...ics-1828461611

Stupid question but I assume Miles was the Spider-Man you were referring too?
    Yeah, I like the idea of Miles, Kamala, and Sam being the new "amazing friends".

Actually it would be fun to do a team-up arc of them and Pete, Angelica, and Bobby.
    Pull List:

Today in the New York Times, Kelly Marie Tran speaks out for the first time since her social media was pulled due to mass harassment.

It wasn’t their words, it’s that I started to believe them.

Their words seemed to confirm what growing up as a woman and a person of color already taught me: that I belonged in margins and spaces, valid only as a minor character in their lives and stories.

And those words awakened something deep inside me — a feeling I thought I had grown out of. The same feeling I had when at 9, I stopped speaking Vietnamese altogether because I was tired of hearing other kids mock me. Or at 17, when at dinner with my white boyfriend and his family, I ordered a meal in perfect English, to the surprise of the waitress, who exclaimed, “Wow, it’s so cute that you have an exchange student!”

Their words reinforced a narrative I had heard my whole life: that I was “other,” that I didn’t belong, that I wasn’t good enough, simply because I wasn’t like them. And that feeling, I realize now, was, and is, shame, a shame for the things that made me different, a shame for the culture from which I came from. And to me, the most disappointing thing was that I felt it at all.

Because the same society that taught some people they were heroes, saviors, inheritors of the Manifest Destiny ideal, taught me I existed only in the background of their stories, doing their nails, diagnosing their illnesses, supporting their love interests — and perhaps the most damaging — waiting for them to rescue me.

I want to live in a world where children of color don’t spend their entire adolescence wishing to be white. I want to live in a world where women are not subjected to scrutiny for their appearance, or their actions, or their general existence. I want to live in a world where people of all races, religions, socioeconomic classes, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities are seen as what they have always been: human beings.

This is the world I want to live in. And this is the world that I will continue to work toward.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/m...arie-tran.html