Page 773 of 827 FirstFirst ... 273673723763769770771772773774775776777783823 ... LastLast
Results 11,581 to 11,595 of 12396

spoilers:
    The finale to CW's The Flash has Max Mercury played by First Nations actor Tony Carroll.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-25-2023 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    How the Italians became White

Yeah well, the important part is: Cleopatra can't possibly be black! It's a fact! Like gravity!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Gameplay footage from Insomniac's Spider-Man 2.

Miles and VenomParker are 100% going to fight.

I bet Miles gets the suit off Parker
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Adeline Rudolph has been cast as Kitana in the Mortal Kombat sequel. I think it's safe to say Mileena isn't Kitana's clone in this setting given Rudolph and Sisi Stringer look nothing alike.

Ultimate Member

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/l...163655169.html

Disney’s live-action take on The Little Mermaid is doing swimmingly at the domestic box office, with a three-day opening of $95.5M and a four-day projection of $117.5M. Factoring in the international box office bow of $68.3M, that makes for an estimated $163.8M global debut through Sunday. The offshore launch is lower than hoped for coming into the frame. But it bears noting there was something fishy going on in overseas markets with so-called review-bombing in such areas as France, Korea, Germany and beyond.

While the Rob Marshall-directed update has a 95% verified audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, film ratings websites overseas, including IMDB in the UK, Brazil and Mexico as well as AlloCiné in France, posted advisories during the rollout when negative user reviews appeared in questionable abundance.
    In France, where Little Mermaid launched on Wednesday, AlloCiné wrote, “We are currently observing an unusual distribution of scores which demands the need for caution. We encourage you to make up your own mind about the film.” While not unprecedented, this is a rare move. To be fair, critics at some respected outlets including Libération, Première and Les Inrockuptibles did not like the movie, giving it just one star. On IMDB, a warning reads: “Our rating mechanism has detected unusual voting activity on this title. To preserve the reliability of our rating system, an alternate weighting calculation has been applied.” That note appears on the U.S. and Canadian sites as well as those for the UK, Brazil and Mexico.
    In Germany, Moviepilot showed a rating of .7 out of 10 before The Little Mermaid release – far lower than any comp title. Traction increased throughout the weekend, moving to a 5 rating.
    Korea’s SBS News reported heading into the weekend that the film had been subject to “ratings terrorism” in an article whose title Korean entertainment website Zapzee translated to “Backlash Against ‘Black Mermaid’: Appearance Ridiculed, Ratings Drop on Day One.” On the ratings portal of Korea’s Naver over the past several days, there had been a trend of negative reviews receiving hundreds of likes, and positive reviews getting hundreds of thumbs down. On the day of release, the score was 1.96, which has since evolved to 6.67.

It seems like Halle Bailey‘s casting in the Little Mermaid was much more accepted in the US and Latina America than it was in parts of Europe and China.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-30-2023 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It seems like Halle Bailey‘s casting in the Little Mermaid was much more accepted in the US and Latina America than it was in parts of Europe and China.
    That's good to hear.

In other pleasant news, Halle Bailey has been receiving some support from co-star Jessica Alexander.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fauxmoi/com...eople_who_are/

Invincible Member

The Little Mermaid has made around $190 million this weekend. I wonder if the "Get Woke Go Broke" crowd will address this. Or if they do, what knots they twist themselves into saying either the numbers or fake or claim that the movie is not "woke" after all.

Eh if you dig into the numbers the movie is in trouble profit wise actually.

Has nothing to do with Hailey tho
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

For real the first of all the live-action Disney remakes I might see in the theater. I have very little free time, but I think I would enjoy it.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

My girls enjoyed it, 9 & 6 so this was their lane. They said they enjoyed it better than the other live-action remakes, which they don't repeat watch at all really. When it hits Plus I'll sit through it with them.

I'm on the hook for Spiderverse next week.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It was.

The reaction was particularly bad in East Asia which was a little surprising in all honestly.

EDIT: Then again, not really considering S.Korea is the plastic surgery capital of the world. Lots of stuff going on there regarding beauty standards.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-30-2023 at 06:49 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Eh if you dig into the numbers the movie is in trouble profit wise actually.

Has nothing to do with Hailey tho
    Worldwide it's opening wasn't good. Probably a combination of TLM not being on the scale of Aladdin, The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast (those films were monsters in their original release in the 90s) and some folks not wanting to see black mermaids.

That being said, if it cleans house in the US then the film will still make a profit. A good chunk of the film's marketing was paid for by itself so it only has to worry about box office numbers. I honestly don't know how it will end up doing in the US but word of mouth has been strong and it has an A cinemascore, the trouble is the competition coming up will takeaway a lot of screens away from it.

That being said, the film's US opening was huge. Just for context, a movie like Fast X is cleaning up worldwide (but could be bombing in the US) s actually in a lot more trouble than TLM. Fast X actually cost around the same thing Avatar 2 did but folks don't talk about it much because it's not one of those properties folks are "being told to hate". There's a lot more dissection of TLM box office when in all likelihood it will make a bigger profit because of its stronger domestic numbers.

Everything is an agenda these days, even box office reporting.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not saying the movie will be a hit or not, I really don't know to be honest. People were saying GoTG 3 and Avatar 2 were flops after one weekend only for them to end up being pretty massive hits. Just adding a bit of context to the conversation.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-30-2023 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Worldwide it's opening wasn't good. Probably a combination of TLM not being on the scale of Aladdin, The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast (those films were monsters in their original release in the 90s) and some folks not wanting to see black mermaids.

That being said, if it cleans house in the US then the film will still make a profit. A good chunk of the film's marketing was paid for by itself so it only has to worry about box office numbers. I honestly don't know how it will end up doing in the US but word of mouth has been strong and it has an A cinemascore, the trouble is the competition coming up will takeaway a lot of screens away from it.

That being said, the film's US opening was huge. Just for context, a movie like Fast X is cleaning up worldwide (but could be bombing in the US) s actually in a lot more trouble than TLM. Fast X actually cost around the same thing Avatar 2 did but folks don't talk about it much because it's not one of those properties folks are "being told to hate". There's a lot more dissection of TLM box office when in all likelihood it will make a bigger profit because of its stronger domestic numbers.

Everything is an agenda these days, even box office reporting.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not saying the movie will be a hit or not, I really don't know to be honest. People were saying GoTG 3 and Avatar 2 were flops after one weekend only for them to end up being pretty massive hits. Just adding a bit of context to the conversation.
    The freaks would complain about F&F if one of the characters were queer. Out of curiosity, I do consume a decent amount of right wing content, mostly out of a need to understand how they think. A large amount of it is incoherent psuedo intellectual kvetching about woke stuff, the woke stuff being anything they don't like that week. Usually by men who never fit the "masculine ideal" they endlessly espouse. A lot of it also comes from a place of empty contrarianism. They just hate whatever the left likes and call themselves based. They're really good at taking legitimate criticism and drowning it in bigotry and ignorance, which makes all criticism look bigoted.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The freaks would complain about F&F if one of the characters were queer. Out of curiosity, I do consume a decent amount of right wing content, mostly out of a need to understand how they think. A large amount of it is incoherent psuedo intellectual kvetching about woke stuff, the woke stuff being anything they don't like that week. Usually by men who never fit the "masculine ideal" they endlessly espouse. A lot of it also comes from a place of empty contrarianism. They just hate whatever the left likes and call themselves based. They're really good at taking legitimate criticism and drowning it in bigotry and ignorance, which makes all criticism look bigoted.
    That's what it come down to, it's about contrarianism. I don't listen to the right-wing stuff anymore at all because it makes my head hurt. These guys are followed by idiots that attack like attack dogs without a single original or independent thought of their own. For example, the new Evil Dead movie had a trans actor, but they didn't attack it because they didn't know. Everything is about being told to hate something and so many folks just thrive on being angry. Racists don't seem to know that their ideology takes a toll on them as much as it does the victim because they are literally fighting against stuff they can't control, correct or eliminate. They are literally fighting against life itself.

Honestly, I find some stuff about TLM to be very corny and weird (I don't want to spoil the movie but let's just say the casting is odd beyond the main character's race) but it's the overt racism towards the film that got folks triggered. Thankfully the film cleaned out opening weekend in North America which still gives me hope..LOLOL. I don't know if it will be a hit in the long run but it shows North America hasn't given in to right-wing nonsense.

The problem with these right-wing guys is their voices are getting louder and louder because of social media. Twitter has become the new 4chan (there are literally actual nazi accounts on there now), for example a young African man commented about not liking Italian foods and the responses there were stuff that you would see on the Daily Stormer. I don't even have a Tik Tok account but I see the nonsense that shared on there and it's disgusting. The way racist and generally antiblack stuff is so freely shared there is appalling (interestingly, the Chinese version of Tik Tok is a lot more sensitized, speaks volumes doesn't it). Social media is a hive of a disinformation and hate-speech. All this has now translated into real-life "terrorism" towards businesses from guys like Matt Walsh. In the past some lunatics attacked abortion clinics but now they are going into stories, lie about LGTBIQ merchandise, and physically attack them and harass customers. Target has seen this heat and now Kohl's is next. However, I don't feel sorry for the big companies at all, they literally don't take a stand on anything and can't even protect their own workers, and that's in addition to the fact that a lot of them have been contributing to the GOP and right-wing causes so they are reaping what they've sown.

The review bombing of TLM was likely a coordinated attack from right-wing agitators and a lot of those countries rely on these sites for reviews, so its box office performance has been directly affected by right-wing propaganda (so much for ignoring the trolls eh?). That is not to say that is the only reason TLM isn't doing well overseas (TLM just isn't as big as the other Disney properties and is much younger female directed) but reports on deadline and other major outlets have noted how severe the right-wing trolling was on major critic outlets in several parts of the world. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-30-2023 at 08:32 AM.