Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ultimate Member

Default Minorities in Comics and Other Media, etc

Jewish people created comics in America, Black folks created pop music in the US, White Europeans dominated the beer industry in the USA..Soccer is the biggest sport in the world, When Quentin Tarantino isn't stealing from Elmore Leonard ( working class white guy) or trashy Drive In movies, he's stealing from Asian Cinema. Now, when are we going to get a White Tiger TV series?

So yeah...
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-05-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's not a perfect comic, but I've been in enjoying Shadow Man. The current arc is the main character re-living the lives of his ancestors so far we've got a look at 40's pulp SM in Harlem, post Civil War SM...and of course the protagonist has to deal with the racial situations of those times.

Ultimate Member

Black Panther officially became the third movie ever to cross 700 million domestically
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Disney partners Nigerian filmmaker to produce ‘Sade’

https://punchng.com/black-panther-di...-produce-sade/

Imagine my surprise this morning... Great first new post, continued, from the old thread, Ed, btw.
    Subscribed.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

edited post.

LOL. I like how the new thread just picks up mid conversation.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Black Panther officially became the third movie ever to cross 700 million domestically
    It's funny there's been some push back against Black Panther.

At the time of release, a lot of people were saying it's one of Marvel's best, lately, the conversation has changed to "it's only successful because it's political".

I'm not surprised though, the fact that an African base hero could break all sorts of box office records was a little too much for a lot of folks in the US.

I really rather see a Batman movie at this point that plays up the detective angle and just has him go up against guys like Black Mask and maybe Zsazz.

It could be a riff on Dark Victory but sub in Black Masks syndicate for the Falcones and maybe have a Se7en vibe with Zsazz.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Unwinding the cord of Black Casting in the Arrowverse...

"Hey! Idea! Let's make Starfire Black. The comic version is orange anyway, so really, she can be played by just about anyone."

"Okay, cool. Let's do that! Wow, we're good at this. We're progressive. Oh, but wait--"

"What?"

"Cyborg. He's already black."

"Ohhhh. Right. Two of those."

"Yeah. Yeah. Two of thoooose."

"Well, we have to think about demographics? Okay? You know how the traditionalists feel about having more than two of thooooose onscreen at the same time."

"Yeah, the traditionalists! We barely get away with it on the Flash! People get uncomfortable watching Joe and Iris interact, y'know. They're like, "Is he gonna hit her?"

"Violence against women is no joke!"

"Preach! I practice my feminist values every day. Love dies when hate wins."

"Shame about Andy Kreisberg, though."

"I know! Damn b****s couldn't keep their mouths shut over a little harmless attention? Now we've lost one of the good ones.

"I could cry. I could seriously cry."

"Heh. It's kind of funny, though, right? We're gonna make Starfire black but we can't have two blacks--

"Don't say "blacks" that's not okay."

--Two people of African heritage--

"Much better."

-- on the same team so let's shuffle Cyborg over to the Doom Patrol. Oh! And just to make sure people are extra okay with Starfire, let's add Hawk and Dove!"

"Wow! That's brilliant! Swapping Cyborg for Hawk and Dove is like trading a brownie for a wedding cake!"

"I thought you'd like it!"

"I'm sold! Let's go celebrate! I'll call up Kreisberg and see if he wants to come snort some coke out of Melissa Benoist's armpit."

"They had SUCH a fun set!"
    Last edited by Handsome men don't lose fights; 08-10-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

AmenRah

Ive never seen a white bat
    So why isnt bat man a black man?

So wait, did they finally turn Psylock back white?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I know it's tongue and cheek and is suppose to be a bashing weapon.

Folks are now suddenly using Static as "proof" of diversity done right. Especially in attacks towards Ms Marvel & Riri.
    10 years ago it was Static ruined the Teen Titans, got Young Justice axed and his book failing PROVED POC should not have books.

Now those same folks BITTER about Riri, Miles & Khan have suddenly changed their minds about Static.
    Of course they are mainly talking about CARTOON Static.

Since his first solo series is not in trade beyond issue 5.
    Wonder how they would react to first series if it came out today?

Static fights a WHITE bully
    Static gets a gun
    Static recruited by Holocaust to kill
    Static fights a black terrorist
    Static finds out about Rich being gay
    Static saves the day in Worlds Collide event
    Static lets Wade go after seeing him dealing drugs
    Static with a girlfriend
    Static deals with Sex
    Static deals with Frieda's eating disorder
    Static and school shootings
    Static having a father
    Static on a team with 2 Lesbian lovers
    Static the ORIGINAL character every one screams for yet don't support.

Ultimate Member

https://twitter.com/MimZWay/status/1038794405128364032

At the recruitment center, he was told the Navy had an Electrical Engineering program and he would be recommended for it! Since he couldn’t afford college, he thought this was the answer to his prayers. Little did he know that Negros were not allowed in the program.
    On board the ship, my father earned a reputation for being able to fix anything. Whenever a radio was broken, they brought it to my dad to repair it.

Then one day the radar to the ship went down.
    It was down for three days. No one could figure out what was wrong with it. Finally someone said, “There’s a negro on board who can fix anything. Maybe we should call him.”

When my dad came out of the space, there was no doubt who had fixed the radar. The head of the Electrical Engineering program asked my dad how come he wasn’t in the program. “I was told Negros weren’t allowed in the program sir.”
    After my mom and dad got married, they had me, and then tried to buy a house. Even though my dad was a veteran, he was told by bank after bank he couldn’t use the VA loan program, since most deeds specified negros couldn’t own property.

Although he was a skilled electrical engineer, the only job he could find at the time was as a custodian.

But this is what I want yall to read-

In the 1950’s SUNY schools & community colleges offered FREE tuition to local students. My mother-in-law, who is white, took advantage of this program and received her degree from SUNY Buffalo in Speech Therapy.

When my father graduated from high school, he was not told of the opportunity for free tuition because black students were routinely not informed of the opportunity for a free college education.
    Still goes on today. Heck most counselors are not even told about it now.