Page 820 of 828 FirstFirst ... 320720770810816817818819820821822823824 ... LastLast
Results 12,286 to 12,300 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hollywood would love to have new stories.

HOWEVER they don't want to pay for them and deal with some of the conditions that the creators want to have on them.

It's why Tyler Perry started his movies without certain studios.

It's why we got 90210 on Fox instead of Degrassi Junior High. Degrassi's owners were not too keen on the changing of the cast. Cory Tyler would have been the first black lead on 90210 season 4 if they hadn't decided to the keep the original cast and not spin them off into what became Melrose Place.

It's why Static Shock didn't star a white kid named Virgil Hawkins.

It's why you got a Hannah Montana movie pretending to be Jem.
    Hollywood is pretty risk averse so we have to find ways around that.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-01-2024 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    so what is the solution here in a movie such as this?

Out of curiousity.
    The solution is time. A certain novel by Mark Twain has a central character bearing, depictions and situations, that on it's face prevent it from being shared in certain mainstream circles. Hell, in 2024 in parts of the country, the narrative of the book isn't even something some politicians want available. Real sht though.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hollywood would love to have new stories.

HOWEVER they don't want to pay for them and deal with some of the conditions that the creators want to have on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Middle Eastern actors might be a start, I'd guess?

Then, too ... I know I've been bothered in stories/franchises like Altered Carbon, where you can even have some kind of story analogy at work about racism/classism/discrimination, yet studiously avoid ever addressing or even hinting at race as a topic or a problem. HBO's Westworld is another that does that. The way Martin somehow envisioned a world with a great deal of diversity, only still everybody is white, is another time it unfortunately took actually seeing it for lots of people to go, "Hey, wait a minute..."

So, I guess saying -- maybe, not only including Middle Eastern actors, but maybe including somehow futuristic Muslim people and bias against them? At least portraying it in some aspect, as opposed to just completely taking the aesthetic, while ignoring the real world people altogether?
    The look of your principles unfortunately imo, skips an important order of operation. Let's say the educational backslide isn't the damn near vertical slope as it appears to be now. The overall message needs to be seen, felt and understood by the masses. In large part I feel it might need to be delivered by the look of the masses. Yall's Black assess know what it is, by an large- and lemme say this OT, the Whites HAVE came a long way largely, over a relatively short period. No we're not square might never could be, and it only took a gumbo of shame, laws, blood and death to get here but that progress is an understood element I feel. The reverberations of White Flight, a staple of this country over the last 100 years, the bills have been coming due in terms of declining populations and rural health disparities. Even considering that, majority still rules and capitalism is only a trophy wife. The deliverer of the vegetables probably still needs to look like the ones needing the vegetables fwiw.

I kind of disagree with Volt that Hollywood would love 'new stories'. I tend to see it as, the propaganda arm of the studio system drives, the return on bread rides shotgun, they switch places often, but the overall entertainment is in the backseat. If it kills time appropriately, than it works for you and yours. They understand you and yours varies wildly. They also operate like a whole seller, deliver in bulk. Propaganda does include apathy btw. Problem is, well until this AI gets to cutting out the pesky creatives in producing filmed narratives, is that creatives create from viewpoints. When you mine that it's pure but executives have no where else to generate it so they water it down with the hopes of said creatives that it's seen 15% of a produced something is better than 100% of nothing on your computer at the crib.

Sure, Tyler Perry but it ain't but one of him and say about him what you will, I tend to, he decided long ago that his own future and 'the dress' was going to be produced on his terms. He's done that, sure in the face of good taste lol but he's done that.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

But Dune is product of it's era and a complete work. Unlike DC and Marvel, it's harder to mess around with it.

I'd say just invest in new stories but Hollywood is reliant on franchises now. Nearly of them started decades ago so there isn't a clean 5 step process.

If we didn't think about it, we wouldn't have this thread
    Facts. Back to Huck Finn, any historical work can only pull from the past. No historical work ever considers itself dissected in the future in any real large part, right. Fictional works are mostly based on current events when it's written. It's just we have some super old ass issues that profitability wise, ain't no need in solving.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    Don't think Timothy Chalamet looks ambiguous at all imo. He's White American/French. I haven't read the Dune series, but from what I understand Paul is not supposed to be a "good guy".
    Yea, he white enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    ... this was my initial reaction but I wanted to see what others thought.

And hell.. the bad guys are all cast as evil white dudes (at least the first one, I haven't checked ont eh casting of the second movie tbh) so, idk man. This seems like just whining to me. This isn't the movie to plant a flag and complain about I don't think.
    More facts. You right about that, although now engagement is a commodity so...

But again with time, one only notice the seconds tick away when you watch them. Similar with progress as a whole it happens incrementally and there are backslides. Jim in Huck Finn was going through real sht even though his characterization wasn't 100%. Uncle Remus as a characterization was mostly a fabrication, both occurred damn near 150 years ago but seen differently. Least we don't have the 1980's vision of Arabs anymore ala Rambo III I guess.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Remember what I said about Trump sneakers:

https://www.tmz.com/2024/02/27/fat-j...ver-surrender/

I know Fat Joe isn't black, but don't be surprised to see some silly clowns come out to talk about getting Trump sneakers.
    To me, Joe has always been black enough. Hell, I've listed to his Audiobook, I'm Hip-Hop but the older I get and I realized long ago that money and influence can and does, pull these artists away from the circumstances they came up in. The loose the connections to the common and lean into the afluent. Not all but it changes a lot of them. Budden's going to have Candace Owens on his show... as if it ain't hard enough to still deal with some of these dudes. Joe just siding onto the bread part of it. It's fk'dup too.
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Hollywood is pretty risk averse so we have to find ways around that.
    The majority of the folks do as we see with the number of movies and shows on Tubi NOT funded by big name studios. Along with the many shows and movies that are in the libraries that are from streaming services that no one has hear of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    Don't think Timothy Chalamet looks ambiguous at all imo. He's White American/French. I haven't read the Dune series, but from what I understand Paul is not supposed to be a "good guy".
    I had to google him to see if he was mixed with anything lol. I have/had no idea who he is at all. I thought maybe he had some south american in him or something (expecially since his dad in the movie is).

I haven't read the Messiah but he is 100% the good guy in the first Dune book.

I only plan on reading the first 2 because apparently teh 3rd one si super weird/shitty and life is too short for that lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Some of the stuff this guy said was really deep.

I said before and I say it again, a lot of "rich" black folk are moving funny.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-07-2024 at 06:05 PM.

Ultimate Member

This whole "Sweet Baby Inc" thing is turning into another gamergate.

The gaming community remains as racist as ever. The number of sheer psychopaths in gaming is stunning.

The "it's a black woman in game" memes are now being taken seriously.

Rest in peace Akira Toriyama.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wow, without even exaggerating, DragonBall got thousands (if not millions) of Western kids into anime and manga.

May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Man....this one sucks....if you were a kid in the 90's and you liked anime people thought you were a freak, now McDonalds is making their own manga and I saw Goku on a Reese's Puffs box the other day. Rest in Peace Toriyama. Thanks for everything.

Wow, without even exaggerating, DragonBall got thousands (if not millions) of Western kids into anime and manga.

May he rest in peace.
    We smuggled what Anime we could by way of VHS tapes in the late 80's early 90's. It was to the point of 'you had to know a guy' type thing, I did. Oy, most of that stuff was seriously TV-MA. That was before Dragonball and DBZ hit Toonami, that made a leg of it accessible beyond belief. That was when the hoods of America got hip to it lol.

I still remember the feeling of finding out that the Cell and Boo saga's that were packaged as new to us were OVER a decade old from when they were initially produced. That Goku optimism is right up there with Optimus Prime's leader speeches. Gohan, with the glasses, is still one of my favorite characters in all it. Rest in Peace Akira Toriyama, wow only 68...
    You bet yer ass.

The gaming community remains as racist as ever. The number of sheer psychopaths in gaming is stunning.
    You are taking the worst of nerd culture stuff from the comic world but increasing the amount of people by 100x due to the popularity of gaming.

Bunch of people spent their formative years screaming the N word over game chats or harrassing woman over game chats and surprise, none of them grew up at all.

These people have been festering their own private groups of hate long before social media made it easy.

These are experienced hateful losers.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

In depth chat with Blue Marvel, Underworld, & Darkstorm creator Kevin Grevioux