Page 418 of 828 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422428468518 ... LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Meanwhile, Kanye West got 50k votes.

Sometimes, I think we give too many people the benefit of the doubt.
    did you ever at any point in the last four years find yourself repeating the mantra, "democracy isn't perfect but it still works" to yourself over and over again?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    did you ever at any point in the last four years find yourself repeating the mantra, "democracy isn't perfect but it still works" to yourself over and over again?
    Not really.

Trump who didn't even get majority of the popular vote in 2016 has appointed two Supreme Court judges that could shape generations to come. Seriously, stuff like abortion rights and even gay marriage could very well be struck down (particularly the latter because Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing criticism of the legality of gay marriage). There's a possibility that even aspects of the civil rights bill could be threatened because of just how right-leaning the court is now and just how many circuit Judges McConnell and Trump have appointed (and would appoint if Trump somehow wins which looks virtually impossible now). Again, all this from a President that didn't win majority of the vote in 2016. That's why older black people like Maxine Waters and Roland Martin are freaking out, a lot of black people simply don't understand what could happen with 4 more years of the GOP at the helm. It's not a question of what Democrats WON'T do, it's a question of the damage Republicans WILL do.

In Florida, majority of people in the state voted to allow felons to vote. But the state legislature and courts simply blocked and tossed it out totally subverting the will of the people. I'd bet my house if those ex-felons were allowed to vote, we'd have a very different election night story. Same with voter suppression in Georgia, Kemp literally stole the election and almost did the same again with the Presidential election (there were some shenanigans in Fulton county that reduced the number of ballot sites or something) if not for the fight that people like Stacy Abrams (God bless her) put up in the state. These are just two examples of failures of democracy and that's not even counting the GOPs gerrymandering and vote suppression efforts in several states.

Right now, Biden is leading Trump by almost 4 million votes and could beat him by up to 5-6 million votes. But we're still sweating on a few thousand votes in a handful states. Heck, the sitting President has given no indication of given up power which is very reminiscent of third world authoritarian regimes. It's saying something that Nigeria had a smoother transition of power in 2015 than the United States in 2020.

The US has a "barely" functional democracy at this point.

EDIT: Apologies for the mini-rant, there's just so much happening that it's getting under my skin a bit.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-06-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Not really.

Trump who didn't even get majority of the popular vote in 2016 has appointed two Supreme Court judges that could shape generations to come. Seriously, stuff like abortion rights and even gay marriage could very well be struck down (particularly the latter because Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing criticism of the legality of gay marriage). There's a possibility that even aspects of the civil rights bill could be threatened because of just how right-leaning the court is now and just how many circuit Judges McConnell and Trump have appointed (and would appoint if Trump somehow wins which looks virtually impossible now). Again, all this from a President that didn't win majority of the vote in 2016. That's why older black people like Maxine Waters and Roland Martin are freaking out, a lot of black people simply don't understand what could happen with 4 more years of the GOP at the helm. It's not a question of what Democrats WON'T do, it's a question of the damage Republicans WILL do.

In Florida, majority of people in the state voted to allow felons to vote. But the state legislature and courts simply blocked and tossed it out totally subverting the will of the people. I'd bet my house if those ex-felons were allowed to vote, we'd have a very different election night story. Same with voter suppression in Georgia, Kemp literally stole the election and almost did the same again with the Presidential election (there were some shenanigans in Fulton county that reduced the number of ballot sites or something) if not for the fight that people like Stacy Abrams (God bless her) put up in the state. These are just two examples of failures of democracy and that's not even counting the GOPs gerrymandering and vote suppression efforts in several states.

Right now, Biden is leading Trump by almost 4 million votes and could beat him by up to 5-6 million votes. But we're still sweating on a few thousand votes in a handful states. Heck, the sitting President has given no indication of given up power which is very reminiscent of third world authoritarian regimes. It's saying something that Nigeria had a smoother transition of power in 2015 than the United States in 2020.

EDIT: Apologies for the mini-rant, there's just so much happening that it's getting under my skin a bit.
    You shouldnt base a whole country around an ancient old piece of paper made my white male genocidal slave owners

The florida thing is so funny. I live here. We overwhelmingly said felons should vote. Desantis and his buddies just went "naw, they have to pay this magic debt off first." That wasn't part of the ballot. At all. They made up new rules and then it got upheld because of party politics. All from a governor who scraped by winning and there may have been shennanigans with that (then again, the black dude he beat ended up being found in a hotel passed out with a drugged out male prostitute and was decently corrupt as mayor so, great choices we got Florida!)

And why are 70+ year olds the ones in charge of the country? Why do we keep voting for ancient rich folks who will be dead in 10 years who are just doing this as a damn game anyway?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Idk, I see it humming right along as it was laid out too. Including the tumult, being a sore loser in this country can and will always include dire consequences. Post Civil rights legislation violence, Jim Crow, hell even when Jack Johnson beat Jim Jefferies 110 years ago the violence that preceded by white people accounted for hundreds of arrests, thousands of injuries and dozens of deaths. The loudest and most wrong in America have always had way too much influence.

One bright spot is that they can't nearly hide as easily as they used too.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    You shouldnt base a whole country around an ancient old piece of paper made my white male genocidal slave owners

The florida thing is so funny. I live here. We overwhelmingly said felons should vote. Desantis and his buddies just went "naw, they have to pay this magic debt off first." That wasn't part of the ballot. At all. They made up new rules and then it got upheld because of party politics. All from a governor who scraped by winning and there may have been shennanigans with that (then again, the black dude he beat ended up being found in a hotel passed out with a drugged out male prostitute and was decently corrupt as mayor so, great choices we got Florida!)

And why are 70+ year olds the ones in charge of the country? Why do we keep voting for ancient rich folks who will be dead in 10 years who are just doing this as a damn game anyway?
    Something is wrong with the system.

The last two white Presidents (i.e Bush and Trump) biggest attributes were they were "rich kids". And none of these guys were elected by the popular vote.

The Florida thing completely melted my brain. The people literally had their mandate taken away from for....reasons.

So we won another election for America but all we will hear about for the next four years is about disaffected white people.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Idk, I see it humming right along as it was laid out too. Including the tumult, being a sore loser in this country can and will always include dire consequences. Post Civil rights legislation violence, Jim Crow, hell even when Jack Johnson beat Jim Jefferies 110 years ago the violence that preceded by white people accounted for hundreds of arrests, thousands of injuries and dozens of deaths. The loudest and most wrong in America have always had way too much influence.

One bright spot is that they can't nearly hide as easily as they used too.
    You're right but there are danger signs. The GOP has spent MILLIONS in the last few weeks to suppress the black vote and if not for the massive turnout they might have succeeded.

Trump doesn't seem ready to go anywhere despite all indicators pointing to his loss. The dude is going scorched earth and doesn't mind dragging this all out for as long as possible.

Worse still, I'm hearing rumblings of Trump suing to get Pennsylvania's vote invalidated (due to widespread "fraud"), meaning the GOP controlled state house will pick the state electors. 3 guesses who they will vote for?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    So we won another election for America but all we will hear about for the next four years is about disaffected white people.
    Seriously, we need to give credit to our brothers in Michigan and Georgia. They really pulled through for Biden.

But the thing is despite Biden being there, the pressure needs to be kept up on the government.

The most solid, concrete voting bloc for the democrats is the black vote and it's time we get concrete plans for them. And not just lip-service.

A lot of black men (in particular) broke for Trump. I’m not blaming us though, it’s just an observation.

But I will say this, picking Kamala Harris did NOTHING for Biden. Absolutely nothing. Just putting out minorities to gain votes doesn’t work when there’s no messaging to said minorities. I think the Democrats did a piss poor job in connecting with black communities during this election cycle. Maybe it’s because of COVID-19 but I heard a lot more about Trump’s platinum plan for black people than Biden’s (I can’t even remember what Biden’s was).

Although that could be because of Trump’s associations with Wayne and Cube.
    Biden did have a plan. He released details about it back in July.https://www.npr.org/2020/07/28/89613...ity-in-americaThey just did a horrible job of marketing. Honestly I think the only reason why we even heard about the Platinum Plan is because of Ice C. Maybe Biden should have gotten some celebrity to take a picture with in order to boost his plan? But that would be more pandering and we need less of that.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 11-06-2020 at 07:10 AM.

You're right but there are danger signs. The GOP has spent MILLIONS in the last few weeks to suppress the black vote and if not for the massive turnout they might have succeeded.

Trump doesn't seem ready to go anywhere despite all indicators pointing to his loss. The dude is going scorched earth and doesn't mind dragging this all out for as long as possible.

Worse still, I'm hearing rumblings of Trump suing to get Pennsylvania's vote invalidated (due to widespread "fraud"), meaning the GOP controlled state house will pick the state electors. 3 guesses who they will vote for?
    Mail in ballots made it harder to suppress

The Penn vote is going to be too far apart for the courts to do anything

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Something is wrong with the system.

The last two white Presidents (i.e Bush and Trump) biggest attributes were they were "rich kids". And none of these guys were elected by the popular vote.

The Florida thing completely melted my brain. The people literally had their mandate taken away from for....reasons.
    barely intelligent rich kids at that lol

and somehow, that connected to "pull your bootstraps" normal folk

I'll never get it

Seriously, we need to give credit to our brothers in Michigan and Georgia. They really pulled through for Biden.

But the thing is despite Biden being there, the pressure needs to be kept up on the government.

The most solid, concrete voting bloc for the democrats is the black vote and it's time we get concrete plans for them. And not just lip-service.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

One would think that by now our loyalty would be rewarded with something material, but no, just more action faking. Biden was a disaster for downticket dems, the Lincoln Project was an abject failure, and the dems are going to try even harder to win over these affluent white people who live in the suburbs. They have nothing but contempt for the working class, who are majority black and brown.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    One would think that by now our loyalty would be rewarded with something material, but no, just more action faking. Biden was a disaster for downticket dems, the Lincoln Project was an abject failure, and the dems are going to try even harder to win over these affluent white people who live in the suburbs. They have nothing but contempt for the working class, who are majority black and brown.
    Gospel truth.

Even when the Democratic Party (Republican Party too for that matter) talks about working class they always focus on a CERTAIN part of that class but that is to be expected when class is treated as an identity and not as group created under the material conditions of capitalism.

Until there is a strong enough working class here and overseas this **** will continue happening over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Gospel truth.

Even when the Democratic Party (Republican Party too for that matter) talks about working class they always focus on a CERTAIN part of that class but that is to be expected when class is treated as an identity and not as group created under the material conditions of capitalism.

Until there is a strong enough working class here and overseas this **** will continue happening over and over again.
    The emotional whiplash I've seen on twitter is amazing. When Flint looked red under the red mirage it was "Screw them, they don't deserve clean water!" When it flipped blue, crickets. When Texas didn't flip blue (which is the liberal pipe dream that will never happen, even with all those Californian expats, 'cause California isn't as liberal as people think.) It was "screw em." When Georgia was red it was "Screw the south, let em burn" to "Georgia on my mind." When blue. This is a game to these people. This is sports for people who think they're above watching sports.