Page 331 of 824 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381431 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 12354
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    https://doomrocket.com/10-things-joh...tmas-tartarus/

Did any of you guys pick up the book "Tartarus," by Johnnie Christmas from Image comic?
    He also wrote Firebug and co-wrote Angel Catbird.
    The book is amazing in my opinion with a East of West/Incal vibe and it's written by a black man.
    The first issue is 5.99 for 44 pages of story and it was worth the money.

I'm posting an interview about the series at the top.

Also out this week is "On the Stump," by Chuck Brown, "Lucy Claire Redemption," by John Upchurch, and the return of "Bitter Root," by David Walker, Chuck Brown Sanford Greene.
    Plus "Bang," From Dark Horse comics by Matt Kindt and Wilfredo Torres.

Five potentially great books by writers/artist of color, from this week and last.

Attachment 93366
    I bought it, but I haven't had time to read it yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Sadly once the show lost Esther Rolle and James Evans the show really lost it that one season. Rolle came back but losing Evans was a blow to me. Him as the strong dad balanced JJ's schemes at times.
    It's no secret that Evans left the show over the increasing buffonery of the JJ character.

John Amos is the actor who portrayed James Evans on "Good Times."
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's no secret that Evans left the show over the increasing buffonery of the JJ character.
    "On working through writers block"

So I was standing in my garden at three in the morning with a glass of whiskey, smoking furiously and swearing at the sky, reduced to waiting for the thunder bolt to hit when...

Warren Ellis

While I'm a little rusty on why they shuffled the Evans parents off of the show, wasn't what you are talking about sort of the idea?

Sounds like folks are conflating John Amos's name with his character's name James Evans.

Anyway here's the time when The Wayans Bros TV show paid tribute to Good Times.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm a little rusty on why they shuffled the Evans parents off of the show, wasn't what you are talking about sort of the idea?
    The James character died. I can't remember the reason they gave for Florida moving away. But after a season they lured Ester Rolle back with the promise of better scripts.

But yeah, the original idea of the show was dealing with serious issues within the context of this particular family and JJ was supposed to be the most out there member. But it quickly turned into The JJ Says Dynamite Show featuring Hack Sitcom Writing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    John Amos is the actor who portrayed James Evans on "Good Times."
    Ouch! ( 10 chtrs)

Carl Lumbly Speculated to Be Isaiah Bradley in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

https://www.themarysue.com/carl-lumb...inter-soldier/

Ultimate Member

The James character died. I can't remember the reason they gave for Florida moving away. But after a season they lured Ester Rolle back with the promise of better scripts.

But yeah, the original idea of the show was dealing with serious issues within the context of this particular family and JJ was supposed to be the most out there member. But it quickly turned into The JJ Says Dynamite Show featuring Hack Sitcom Writing.
    Florida married an atheist (played by Moses Gunn) and moved. Rolle was tired of JJ being written badly and that is why she left.
    That is why you saw a change in how JJ was written and that got her to come back.

As a freshman at Bowling Green State University in 1977, I was in the room of one of my dorm along with a few other guys. I was the only white guy; the other four were black. "Good Times" was on the small TV in the room, and everyone was talking about the show.

Then one of the guys said something I still remember 43 years later. The character of JJ, he said, as "an insult to all black men."

It opened my eyes.
    Funny thing is one of the guys behind the show was a black man-who was Lionel on the Jeffersons-I think the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Florida married an atheist (played by Moses Gunn) and moved. Rolle was tired of JJ being written badly and that is why she left.
    That is why you saw a change in how JJ was written and that got her to come back.
    ... and when Florida came back there was absolutely no mention of the new husband anymore. Ghosting circa 1979...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny thing is one of the guys behind the show was a black man-who was Lionel on the Jeffersons-I think the second one.
    Nope, the first one. Real name Mike Evans.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... and when Florida came back there was absolutely no mention of the new husband anymore. Ghosting circa 1979...
    Well...the in-story reason she and Carl (Gunn) moved to Arizona was because Carl had lung cancer, and the Arizona air was supposed to be good for him. When she came back without him we can infer that he eventually succumbed to it while they were there.

Its a weird situation where sure I guess they could have mentioned it or said outright Carl was dead, but given why she went in the first place, and that she came back without him...2+2 and all. Plus maybe she didn't want to talk about being a widow now two times over.

The next Death Battle will be spoilers:
    War Machine vs Genos
    end of spoilers.

Astonishing Member

Wow, so CBR has finally reported on Ike and his resistance to proper representation. I remember the conversation a while ago on how CBR seemed hesitant on reporting on these problems, I'm curious what brought the change of heart.