Page 303 of 824 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313353403803 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 12354
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    We have a high bar for standard of living here, and every one is all for fighting for human rights until the price of the iPhone starts to go up.
    Attachment 88070

God damn!
    Last edited by Handsome men don't lose fights; 10-08-2019 at 11:31 PM.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Seeing as the UK and Canada (which has 21% ethnic minorities, which mostly consist of Chinese and Indian descent) are on the list, .
    Ah, so we are pretending Asian minorities are treated the same as Black minorities now?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This is closer to the mark, imo.

China does things like enforced sterilization, imprisonment without trial (or a Kangaroo court at best) and using military force against civilians against the ethnic majority. I.E. people that the ruling class would consider its own people.

Speaking of "own kind" as bad as the Native American reservations are they aren't not literal internment camps. They are allowed to leave.

120000+ Uyghurs can't even do that much.

Not a high bar, no. But let's be clear on the differences.
    Or getting straight disappeared for posting something unfavorable about the government

Or having mass amounts of censorship on the internet and beyond

or harvesting organs from people

There is a large middle ground between "china" and "pick a mystical european country"

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Seeing as the UK and Canada (which has 21% ethnic minorities, which mostly consist of Chinese and Indian descent) are on the list, I'd say the "best countries to live in" normally have similar conditions. You know, universal health care, cheap to free education, regulated hate speech, essentially the same ideas that our considered blasphemy in the states. With that said, of course there's bound to be people who are upset regarding what some may seem as an "invasion." You can't change that behavior, but what sets countries like Sweden and Canada from America is the plans and actions to make government changes to increase diversity and encourage equality. Hiding hate speech is battling it, just like it's illegal to initiate hate speech in the UK, where you can get arrested for stating a slur. You will never get everyone in the world to stop dishing hate speech, but you can protect the minority parties from said hate speech by blocking it, making it illegal.
    What list? There is this list which has the U.S. sandwiched between Canada and the UK (the list is from data gathered by the UN). And The similar conditions are this... Humans are tribalistic, the Irish, the Jewish, the Italians, what have you. The similarly is the vast majority of those countries high on the list populations have the same ethnic back grounds with very little diversity so they really don't mind paying higher taxes for social programs because they see themselves in their neighbor. As diverse people move into the area social generosity is being eroded evidence by the growing popularity of the populace right wing parties in those countries.

I was in Stavanger Norway earlier this year, a country that has less that a 10% immigration population and a black population under 1%, and Asian population under 3% and a Latin population less than half a percent, that country is very white and not very ethnically diverse , and also according to the list the best country to live in. And I will continue to call Canada the "I have a black friend" of countries because that is what they are. Of the 197 famous Canadians listed on IMDB only 3 of them are black.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

And I will continue to call Canada the "I have a black friend" of countries because that is what they are. Of the 197 famous Canadians listed on IMDB only 3 of them are black.
    Not sure if Drake being on that list or not on the list, is better, or worse.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Not sure if Drake being on that list or not on the list, is better, or worse.
    Was surprised that they didn't try to put Justin Trudeau on the list lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Ah, so we are pretending Asian minorities are treated the same as Black minorities now?
    Who said anything about them being treated the same? They each have their own problems and difficulties in society while at the same time share some similar issues. But that still doesn't change the fact that Chinese is still a minority, and Indian isn't even considered Asian.

Astonishing Member

What list? There is this list which has the U.S. sandwiched between Canada and the UK (the list is from data gathered by the UN). And The similar conditions are this... Humans are tribalistic, the Irish, the Jewish, the Italians, what have you. The similarly is the vast majority of those countries high on the list populations have the same ethnic back grounds with very little diversity so they really don't mind paying higher taxes for social programs because they see themselves in their neighbor. As diverse people move into the area social generosity is being eroded evidence by the growing popularity of the populace right wing parties in those countries.

I was in Stavanger Norway earlier this year, a country that has less that a 10% immigration population and a black population under 1%, and Asian population under 3% and a Latin population less than half a percent, that country is very white and not very ethnically diverse , and also according to the list the best country to live in. And I will continue to call Canada the "I have a black friend" of countries because that is what they are. Of the 197 famous Canadians listed on IMDB only 3 of them are black.

I was referring to this list.

"https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-best-countries-to-live-in-the-world.html"

Which contains both the UK and Canada. No one is denying that many of these countries have less than diverse demographics. It was one of the few things special about America is the fact that we're a huge melting pot. But the growth of right wing parties in these countries have reached no where near the same degree as what we have seen here in the states. It's no where near a comparison, from our Charleston incident to are regular shootings of minorities. You don't have to worry about that top selected countries to live. (largely because guns are banned in many of these countries, but that just helps illustrate how behind the times we are.) More so, and the most important aspect, the government is performing plans to curtail the rise of right wing development. Will it completely
    erase the rising? Probably not, especially with the US being the beacon of right wing madness around the world to help give life to these flames. But the fact that these government and the majority of the people are willing to come together to tackle these issues versus us here where we have to fight for ourselves essentially indicate the difference. Here, when we get shot by another police officer, we just become a twitter hashtag and the cops gets freedom in a year. In these other countries, you don't even have to worry about getting regularly shot by cops.

Lastly, IMDB is an American website. Of course they're not going to have a fully fleshed out individual of who's famous in Canada. Hell, most Americas only know grey worm from game of thrones as just grey worm, they don't even realize he's a top selling singer in the UK.

Put it to you this way, I lived in Japan for 5 years, and the only reason why I'm back here in the states is because Goldman Sachs had financial difficulties and had to lay off staff. But you best believe even with some of the problems in Japan, I never felt more welcome, happier, or safer than being in Japan. And this is Japan, a country where I'm probably 0.1% of the population. If I was treated this well in Japan, I'm pretty sure a place like Canada or Sweden will be along similar lines lol.
    Last edited by leo619; 10-09-2019 at 09:15 AM.

joereyrocha

Default NEW PBS Austin Comic Book show

Hi ya'll, my name is Joe Rocha and I work as producer at PBS Austin. We just started a new comic book show where we review comic books that have social and political relevance and just wanted to share a link with you all if that's okay? We would also like some feedback on future books to cover especially those that feature women, LGBTQ+ and POC. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=233y...nfVvDpYvsoG7go

I was referring to this list.

"https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-best-countries-to-live-in-the-world.html"

Which contains both the UK and Canada. No one is denying that many of these countries have less than diverse demographics. It was one of the few things special about America is the fact that we're a huge melting pot. But the growth of right wing parties in these countries have reached no where near the same degree as what we have seen here in the states. It's no where near a comparison, from our Charleston incident to are regular shootings of minorities. You don't have to worry about that top selected countries to live. (largely because guns are banned in many of these countries, but that just helps illustrate how behind the times we are.) More so, and the most important aspect, the government is performing plans to curtail the rise of right wing development. Will it completely
    erase the rising? Probably not, especially with the US being the beacon of right wing madness around the world to help give life to these flames. But the fact that these government and the majority of the people are willing to come together to tackle these issues versus us here where we have to fight for ourselves essentially indicate the difference. Here, when we get shot by another police officer, we just become a twitter hashtag and the cops gets freedom in a year. In these other countries, you don't even have to worry about getting regularly shot by cops.

Lastly, IMDB is an American website. Of course they're not going to have a fully fleshed out individual of who's famous in Canada. Hell, most Americas only know grey worm from game of thrones as just grey worm, they don't even realize he's a top selling singer in the UK.

Put it to you this way, I lived in Japan for 5 years, and the only reason why I'm back here in the states is because Goldman Sachs had financial difficulties and had to lay off staff. But you best believe even with some of the problems in Japan, I never felt more welcome, happier, or safer than being in Japan. And this is Japan, a country where I'm probably 0.1% of the population. If I was treated this well in Japan, I'm pretty sure a place like Canada or Sweden will be along similar lines lol.
    Well just have to agree to disagree as to the bench mark for "greatest to live places" I used the one that used the Human Development Index, not sure what Legatum Institute used as hard data. Oh and IMDB is a British ran company that is owned by Amazon.

My brother lived in Japan too and also loved it but, being 0.1% of the population means that you're no threat to their culture or way of life so of course they are nice to you. Japan is 98.5% ethnic Japanese, creep up to 15% from 1.5% and see how they react.
    Over the past year hate crimes have increased in Canada. And in Sweden "According to the most recent study, people with foreign backgrounds are 2.5 times more likely to be suspected of crimes than people born in Sweden to Swedish-born parents." that from Sweden's own government web site. It sounds really familiar.

Astonishing Member

Well just have to agree to disagree as to the bench mark for "greatest to live places" I used the one that used the Human Development Index, not sure what Legatum Institute used as hard data. Oh and IMDB is a British ran company that is owned by Amazon.

My brother lived in Japan too and also loved it but, being 0.1% of the population means that you're no threat to their culture or way of life so of course they are nice to you. Japan is 98.5% ethnic Japanese, creep up to 15% from 1.5% and see how they react.
    Over the past year hate crimes have increased in Canada. And in Sweden "According to the most recent study, people with foreign backgrounds are 2.5 times more likely to be suspected of crimes than people born in Sweden to Swedish-born parents." that from Sweden's own government web site. It sounds really familiar.

First, the likelihood of Japan seeing violent hate crimes is slim to none, even with increasing diversity, as the culture has prided it self on it's safety and security. To the point to where I literally left my apartment door open one day for the entire day, came back and nothing was stolen. The thing that we need to remember is that you can never apply a paint brush on every single culture like they all share the same behavior, ideals and beliefs, that's mostly an American concept in assuming almost everyone think like us.

Secondly, Japan has been increasing in diversity over the past decade, and yet Japan has been even more friendly towards immigrants then before due to the increase interaction with immigrants. That's not to say there isn't any problems at all, as mentioned earlier, no culture is perfect, but you can't say that because this happens in America, that must means it will happen everywhere in the world, especially in a culture that's so vastly different like Japan. In that area I have a lot more experience in.

IMDB was bought by Amazon, yes, and thus have a lot of interactions and input by American based content. For example, the list you provided, was given by one singular member on IMDB, MFHewes. Go to IMDB and literally anyone can create a your best tv shows, most famous actors, or hottest celebrities. So safe to say, one person, who we don't even know his origin or criteria, may not be the best gauge as to what's considered popular or famous, especially on a website when anyone can make a list.

Canada Hate Crimes has decreased this year, not increase. Race based hate crimes has been decreasing since 2018, while the decrease in muslim based hate crimes is what's caused the dramatic decrease overall. And what's the likely hood of cops killing people from foreign based backgrounds with no cause and yet not go to jail? Exactly. Again, no one is saying that any country is a Utopia. But the idea that all of these countries are just as bad as America when it comes to race relations and bigotry? Yeah....I can speak from personal experience from Japan, and I'm not buying it. Especially in regards to countries government actively combating racism via laws, rules and regulations, while Charleston right wing Nazi's are considered "good people" by our president. Again, no comparison.
    Last edited by leo619; 10-09-2019 at 11:39 AM.

BANNED

All that says though is that the places we think of as nice to live in are fundamentally fraudulent, because while they pretend to be these ethnically and cultural homogeneous societies that outsiders simply wouldn't understand, they are by no means self-sufficient and heavily reliant on foreign investment and foreign trade to sustain their standard of living. While Sweden is nominally open to newcomers, that comes with a patronizing disclaimer that Swedish culture is simply impenetrable to outsiders and that no immigrant can ever be truly Swedish no matter how long they stay, so that for your own good you'd be better off going back to live with your people instead, provided you park your cash at the door before leaving of course.

It is kinda funny seeing NBA players shutting up and dribbling now that speakng out will 100% negatively effect their net worth.

Taking (deserved) shots at Trump is easy. Most of the country didn't vote for him.

What happened to "Believe in Something, Even If it Costs You Everything?" ol Nike?

TBH, I don't blame them. But they are hypocrites.

Money is the only thing that matters in life.

Ultimate Member

It is kinda funny seeing NBA players shutting up and dribbling now that speakng out will 100% negatively effect their net worth.

Taking (deserved) shots at Trump is easy. Most of the country didn't vote for him.

What happened to "Believe in Something, Even If it Costs You Everything?" ol Nike?

Eh...it's not the first time someone said something provocative on twitter then had to walk it back. I'm not shocked.

BANNED

Athletes are willing to speak out on social justice issues at home because it's something that hits close to home and which they are emotionally invested in. Asking them to stake themselves on something happening in a foreign country that they probably don't really understand just because it vaguely fits under the same "woke" banner is respecting their freedom of expression. And sure, maybe you can argue that since basketball is an international sport, the players have a responsibility to be more informed on world issues, but then again I have a feeling that if people really understood what was going on in Hong Kong they would find it fairly difficult to sympathize with them regardless of how much they may dislike China.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 10-10-2019 at 12:13 PM.