Page 815 of 828 FirstFirst ... 315715765805811812813814815816817818819825 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,225 of 12411

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I disagree. We've never actually abstained from voting en masse, so claiming it doesn't make a statement is false. What you're saying is the same tired thing that's been said for years. But you keep doing the exact same thing while expecting a different result, I guess?
    Really? We've had quite a few elections where less than 50% of eligible voters actually vote. I'd say that IS abstaining from voting en masse. And what has it gotten us? So who's really doing the same thing and expecting different results here?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Really? We've had quite a few elections where less than 50% of eligible voters actually vote. I'd say that IS abstaining from voting en masse. And what has it gotten us? So who's really doing the same thing and expecting different results here?
    Folks who vote for one of two "We Are Happily Bought And Paid For..." options while expecting anything to change to any real degree.

Even something as "Small Potatoes..." as Congress members not being able to own stocks while they are in office?

Right around "Absolutely Nothing..." was stopping Democrats from taking a run at that after Biden was elected.

Now that we know that?

Kinda funny that the party that would be making these changes if only X/Y/Z would actually happen essentially said "Capitalism, Bro..." when asked if Congress members owning stocks while in Congress would change.

Guy who whined 'don't blackmail me with the supreme court!' arguing for creating more results that enhance Republican party power.

Shocker.

As numberthirty said, you. They never expect a 100% voter turnout. And people aren't abstaining simply due to disliking the candidates. Nor are those who don't care currently demanding anything. They typically just don't vote, period. I'm talking about doing so with an actual purpose I'm mind and not general apathy.

As numberthirty said, you. They never expect a 100% voter turnout. And people aren't abstaining simply due to disliking the candidates. Nor are those who don't care currently demanding anything. They typically just don't vote, period. I'm talking about doing so with an actual purpose I'm mind and not general apathy.
    Oh, I get it. So not voting is noble rather than lazy if you attach a "purpose " to it. And what exactly has that "purpose " accomplished?

Oh, I get it. So not voting is noble rather than lazy if you attach a "purpose " to it. And what exactly has that "purpose " accomplished?
    Well we haven't tried it yet so I can't tell you. But if you'll notice my initial post on this subject was about "having the conversation," not saying this is the only course of action. You seem hell bent on not even discussing it as an option.

It isn't a viable option because it wouldn't work. You can't install None of the Above into office. If all but three people voted, they wouldn't disqualify the election. They would declare whoever got 2 out 3 votes the winner.

It isn't a viable option because it wouldn't work. You can't install None of the Above into office. If all but three people voted, they wouldn't disqualify the election. They would declare whoever got 2 out 3 votes the winner.
    Bull...

If the bottom suddenly drops out on Dems when it comes to minority support?

You can bet both ears that they will attempt to find out exactly why it did.

As for this...

Saw a young man that had voted for Biden who said voting for him this time was off of the table based on what is going on with US support for Israel. He said that there was no way that he could vote for Biden without also backing current policy towards Israel. Said he would not be voting for Biden because he could not support what is going on.

Does his doing so rise to "Noble..."?

Not for me to say.

Is it "Lazy..."?

No. Not anything even remotely like "Lazy...."

As for if it actually accomplishes anything?

That is really not the issue.

Overall, 70% of U.S. adult citizens who were eligible to participate in all three elections between 2018 and 2022 voted in at least one of them, with about half that share (37%) voting in all three.
    Just over a third of eligible voters get to count as the voice of the people in elections, because they show up consistently.

A third of eligible voters have no impact whatsoever on elections, because they never vote.

The people who vote only every four years ... imo, would be more effective if they voted more consistently.

If you choose not to vote though, for whatever reason -- which group are you joining?
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 02-19-2024 at 09:37 AM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Bull...

If the bottom suddenly drops out on Dems when it comes to minority support?

You can bet both ears that they will attempt to find out exactly why it did.
    Exactly. They aren't going to continue to lose and just shrug it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

I don't know. Anyone know what percentage of potential black voters do in fact consistently show up? Afraid my unpaid researching mojo just tapped out...
    50% on what I found in non-Obama years.

I disagree. We've never actually abstained from voting en masse, so claiming it doesn't make a statement is false. What you're saying is the same tired thing that's been said for years. But you keep doing the exact same thing while expecting a different result, I guess?
    ... what do you think this will actually accomplish though? Do you think by not voting an election, the democratic party will turn around and appease to get teh votes back the next cycle?

Which... in a pipe dream that might work.. how much are you willing to lose in the 4-8 years of complete GOP control again? Look what happened last time. Lost the supreme court for a generation because people "made a statement"

Then take what FL and like TX has done and outlaw certain studies at school... and take that nationally.

So seriously, what are you willing to give up to make a statement? Have you actually sat down and thought about it?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    50% on what I found in non-Obama years.

... what do you think this will actually accomplish though? Do you think by not voting an election, the democratic party will turn around and appease to get teh votes back the next cycle?

Which... in a pipe dream that might work.. how much are you willing to lose in the 4-8 years of complete GOP control again? Look what happened last time. Lost the supreme court for a generation because people "made a statement"

Then take what FL and like TX has done and outlaw certain studies at school... and take that nationally.

So seriously, what are you willing to give up to make a statement? Have you actually sat down and thought about it?
    I actually answered these questions in my initial post on the matter.

Here's the problem...when is the right time then? Don't get me wrong, I plan to vote for Biden but I also understand that we are going to seriously need to have the uncomfortable conversation about using our only political capital, i.e. withholding our vote. Yet every time that comes up, people say "not now." Well again I ask, if not now then when? Because as it stands, the Republicans will never not be a threat for the foreseeable future. Yet we shouldn't be expected to continue propping up s status quo that doesn't actually serve us. We are going to have to do something drastic and soon. Even if that leads to hardships.
    This doesn't answer what you are willing to give up. For decades.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This doesn't answer what you are willing to give up. For decades.
    "Even if that leads to hardships."