Page 355 of 826 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365405455 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 12382
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah I get it. But saying "Hiring a black crew for BP was more racist than anything." Like he had to know ppl were gonna jump on that and take it out of context. Or maybe he didn't, the guy just comes across as an idiot.
    Maybe the reason they were all black was because of the director???

Who probably wanted that many black folks to prove a point.

How is it black directors or writers can find black folks but the white ones can't.

And stuff comes down to this-were POC being interviewed or considered in the first places for those movies.

Because that is going to be a bigger issue for Marvel than what Mackie said.

it wouldn't shock me to see Disney do what my school districts (among others) have done-created a Minority/Women department to ensure those poeple are aware of possible job contracts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Maybe the reason they were all black was because of the director???

Who probably wanted that many black folks to prove a point.

How is it black directors or writers can find black folks but the white ones can't.

And stuff comes down to this-were POC being interviewed or considered in the first places for those movies.

Because that is going to be a bigger issue for Marvel than what Mackie said.

it wouldn't shock me to see Disney do what my school districts (among others) have done-created a Minority/Women department to ensure those poeple are aware of possible job contracts.
    Yeah I just feel he could have made his point better. Instead of phrasing it like he did and then ppl have to come in and clarify what he said for him. Given his past comments on "merit" in Hollywood and all that. But yeah it is true there does need to be more job inclusion and opportunity. Like you said atleast ppl need to be made aware that those jobs are even available.

https://news.avclub.com/the-offices-...sho-1844255779

The Office's Leslie David Baker is Kickstarting a TV show about "Uncle Stan"

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah I just feel he could have made his point better. Instead of phrasing it like he did and then ppl have to come in and clarify what he said for him. Given his past comments on "merit" in Hollywood and all that. But yeah it is true there does need to be more job inclusion and opportunity. Like you said atleast ppl need to be made aware that those jobs are even available.
    It wasn't worded the best but I understand his point and agree with it.

Easy for other people to twist it bad though.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

https://www.theroot.com/amy-cooper-w...-ch-1844283459

Amy Cooper Will Face Charges for Calling the Cops on Christian Cooper

I feel like the movement went from "police reform" to "lets take down statues, flags, and offensive stuff"

Yes, that **** needs burned to the ground to... but main stream wise, no one seems to care about cops anymore.

Speaking of cops, I called the cops on some peeps in my neighborhood last night. I really really didn't want to... until I heard a kid crying. then my options were A) approach white domestic abuse type couple in the dark to figure out wtf was going on or B) call cops.

Chose B after a long deliberation and more kid sobbing/screaming (there aren't any kids in my neighborhood except mine).

At the end of the call, I told the operator that I am not answering the door if the cops had questions on what happened and they can come by or call me in the morning. I said, "im black, not worth the risk" and the dude started laughing and he was obviously a black guy too.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I feel like the movement went from "police reform" to "lets take down statues, flags, and offensive stuff"

Yes, that **** needs burned to the ground to... but main stream wise, no one seems to care about cops anymore.
    Reform, unfortunately, even moreso with us, is slow. In contrast with the Montgomery Boycott and the March on Washington with what was displayed after Floyd's murder was a tsunami comparatively speaking. All the major street level Karen hardliners are going to be exposed and rooted out for some time going forward, so those shockwaves are still happening. Dismantling something like the FOP, an organization that goes back to the slave catcher designations, is going to take time to pull apart. New York has taken a billion dollars from the NYPD budget and who'd have ever thought something like that would happen (or even that that budget got THAT high to begin with). It's going to get bad, again and again and on some level the playing field will never quite level but exposure needs to happen. I also feel the recent surge in gun violence across many cities is another after effect. Then one of my guys who've spent time in Bloomington sent me this last night. Bloomington Man's attempted lynching. What the fk is all I could say. America's remodel has wayyyy to much rotting wood and a bad foundation for a couple coats of paint to fix. Gonna be a while.

4 years yesterday since Philando Castile's murder while his girlfriend and a child were in the car. That 'one' and the poor Church drummer killed changing a tire by some off-duty piece of trash both hit me particularly hard, they still do but it got some much needed and seriously tardy changes to happen. Sad part is it wasn't government leadership to enact the change, that onus was on the deceased's mother to push it.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) announced on Monday updates to the state driver's manual that include guidance for drivers legally carrying firearms.The announcement landed on the four-year anniversary of the fatal shooting of Philando Castile. In 2016, the 32-year-old was pulled over for a busted tail light in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. As Castile tried to tell an officer he had a gun on his person -- a gun he had a permit to carry -- he was shot seven times while his girlfriend and 4-year-old daughter were in the car.
    The updates came after Castile's mother, Valerie Castile, continuously advocated for changes to the driver's manual "to help provide consistency in traffic stops, especially when there is a firearm in the vehicle," according to a news release from DPS

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Victory for Standing Rock: The Dakota Access Pipeline Must Shut Down By August 5

https://www.themarysue.com/victory-f...n-by-august-5/

SO, Hamilton on Plus. Still haven't finished it, it's long but it's dope as hell too. HIP-HOP, HIP-HOP!!

Not everyday when we both find something we would be looking forward to seeing, right now all we have is S3 of The Chi. Not a big fan of musicals but this production and the stage that moved was crazy entertaining to me. Somebody will remember, there was a sitcom where somebody was having an issue with a test and the idea came up that if you put the info in a rap song, you would remember it better and it works and credits roll. Somewhere around the early to mid-90s, I forget, might have happened on more than 1 show. Shoutout to School House Rock btw too. In practicality though it's kind of like building a car to learn to drive imo but for this production that **** was excellent. I didn't/don't recognize anyone in the production but Lin Manuel and Burr looks kinda familiar. My wife said he's done a lot but hell, not in the stuff I watch. Anyway, fantastic production, the King was my **** lol.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Speaking of cops, I called the cops on some peeps in my neighborhood last night. I really really didn't want to... until I heard a kid crying. then my options were A) approach white domestic abuse type couple in the dark to figure out wtf was going on or B) call cops.

Chose B after a long deliberation and more kid sobbing/screaming (there aren't any kids in my neighborhood except mine).

At the end of the call, I told the operator that I am not answering the door if the cops had questions on what happened and they can come by or call me in the morning. I said, "im black, not worth the risk" and the dude started laughing and he was obviously a black guy too.
    Pulling down statues, getting rid of Aunt Jemima, people gushing about that book "White Fragility" Actors giving up voice jobs, its all a big bottle of action faking. It's all theater, performative wokeness assuages all that pesky white guilt but doesn't actually do anything to address racism, classism, poverty, and policing.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Pulling down statues, getting rid of Aunt Jemima, people gushing about that book "White Fragility" Actors giving up voice jobs, its all a big bottle of action faking. It's all theater, performative wokeness assuages all that pesky white guilt but doesn't actually do anything to address racism, classism, poverty, and policing.
    I'm close to including people posting videos of so-called "Karens" having meltdowns as well.

Having said that, people are having serious conversations about police reform, but these simply don't go viral the way clips on Facebook do.

Police reform, not police punishment. This is an okey doke in progress.

The governor in my state finally vetoed a bill that would have shielded some death record investigations from the public. The legislature nearly unanimously passed it back in June, and will surely fight him now that he has vetoed it, but how is any of this even possible in this climate? Simple, these token gestures are an okey doke so they can pull crap like that. Look over here, nevermind what we're doing over there.

Astonishing Member

Thandie Newton Turned Down 'Charlie's Angels' After Meeting Amy Pascal

https://deadline.com/2020/07/thandie...ls-1202979960/

In an incredibly frank conversation with Vulture, actress Thandie Newton spoke about her decision to turn down a part in the remake of Charlie’s Angels starring Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz and, in the role that Newton was considered for, Lucy Liu.

Newton said she was “massively affected” by the abuse, racism and objectification she encountered after she began working as an actress at age 16. Newton said she encountered “people that were doing the same [abusive] sh*t, and so I would challenge them or want to get out of it, or not want to work with people.”

One of those people, according to Newton, was former co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment and chairman of that studio’s Motion Picture Group, Amy Pascal.
    Newton:

I had a meeting with her, and she said, “Look, I don’t mean to be politically incorrect, but the character as written and you playing the role, I just feel like we’ve got to make sure that it’s believable.” I was like, “What do you mean? What changes would you have to make?” She’s like, “Well, you know, the character, as written, she’s been to university and is educated.” I’m like, “I’ve been to university. I went to Cambridge.” She went, “Yeah, but you’re different.” She’s like, “Maybe there could be a scene where you’re in a bar and she gets up on a table and starts shaking her booty.” She’s basically reeling off these stereotypes of how to be more convincing as a Black character. Everything she said, I was like, “Nah, I wouldn’t do that.” She’s like, “Yeah, but you’re different. You’re different.” That was Amy Pascal.

Approached by Vulture about Newton’s account, Pascal said she was “horrified to hear” the characterization of their meeting.

“While I take her words seriously,” said Pascal, “I have no recollection of the events she describes, nor do any of her representatives who were present at that casting session.” The former Sony boss then added, “I’ve long considered Thandie a friend; I’m thankful that I’ve had the chance to make movies with her; and I hope to work with her again in the future.”

In 2015, Pascal stepped down from her position at Sony Pictures after and email hack revealed racially insensitive emails between Pascal and producer Scott Rudin about President Obama. In the private exchange, the two joked that the President’s favorite films were black-themed movies like Django Unchained and 12 Years A Slave.

Some design concepts for Abby from Last of Us 2. It seems she was originally going to be black (her dad appeared to be black in the first game).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Some design concepts for Abby from Last of Us 2. It seems she was originally going to be black (her dad appeared to be black in the first game).
    At least this time Laura Bailey didn't end up voicing a dark-skinned character in a Naughty Dog game without knowing about it...