Page 557 of 827 FirstFirst ... 57457507547553554555556557558559560561567607657 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,355 of 12391
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And it had a generic White male protagonist
    Well, fortunately the studio learned the error of their ways, ditched Guillermo "The Colonizer" Del Toro and took the sequel in a more forward-thinking direction by headlining John Boyega.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Well, fortunately the studio learned the error of their ways, ditched Guillermo "The Colonizer" Del Toro and took the sequel in a more forward-thinking direction by headlining John Boyega.
    Yeah, they made the right call there. But they also killed off the main Japanese actress rather unceremoniously

Second Pacific Rim was god awful though lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Del Toro a "colonizer"? The guy worshipped Wesley Snipes. Never heard him talked about like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I mean how many shows like Luther have we seen? Outside of A Man Called Hawk.
    Anybody that know, know. Nothing was like that single season of A Man Called Hawk on ABC, Saturday Nights, 1987. Maybe Idris gets into his philosophy bag at times on Luther but no way in hell I can see Elba rockin the Kente Kufi the way Brooks did.

Aside from that the point is noted. You got Lupin with Omar Sy, which is new, Luther and Brooks as Hawk as the holy trinity of Black male led procedurals. That's the fuckin' list. A French dude a Brit and and American, a Netflix production, BBC and 1 from a US network. Keep in mind these guys aren't playing police and it took 30 years between Hawk and Lupin. Without the advent of the steaming service we wouldn't have had that. The only lead work for a Black American male has to come by sitcom on American Network television the last 60 years, or It didn't happen. Shoutout to Bill Cosby in I Spy from 1965 even though they were CIA-ish guys.

Now with your capes the field widens only a bit but even with science fiction, AGAIN with Avery Brooks, this time as Sisko. If I'm splitting hairs I'd even argue DS9 was more of an ensemble than TNG or definitely more than OG Star Trek but Sisko was still the captain. Coulter's got Evil for a second season but even with the outliers and exceptions you've got more fingers than opportunities.

Last thing about Hawk, c'mon. Winston M'Baku Duke played Hawk (in name only) in the newer Netflix Spenser, which is a damn shame cause I just can't take that much Whalburg. He's the most prolific, worst action star we have.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I know.......

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It wasn't great. The daikaiju lacked individual personality like the ones in Godzilla movies do

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Last thing about Hawk, c'mon. Winston M'Baku Duke played Hawk (in name only) in the newer Netflix Spenser, which is a damn shame cause I just can't take that much Whalburg. He's the most prolific, worst action star we have.
    Spenser Confidential was pretty lame too. It tried too hard and didn't achieve much

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Del Toro a "colonizer"? The guy worshipped Wesley Snipes. Never heard him talked about like that before.
    Oh, so he had a "black friend"! How convenient. Doesn't change the fact that he made his protagonist a white male, which is tantamount to ruining the potential career of an actor/actress of color before it ripens into the beautiful fruit of prosperity and generational wealth it so rightly deserves to become. Del Toro may as well have deepthroated Christopher Columbus's ghost by casting.........<looks up name>.......Charlie Hunnam as what's-his-name. Good riddance to him!

Incredible Member

Oh, so he had a "black friend"! How convenient. Doesn't change the fact that he made his protagonist a white male, which is tantamount to ruining the potential career of an actor/actress of color before it ripens into the beautiful fruit of prosperity and generational wealth it so rightly deserves to become. Del Toro may as well have deepthroated Christopher Columbus's ghost by casting.........<looks up name>.......Charlie Hunnam as what's-his-name. Good riddance to him!
    Ok I guess you're not being serious here.

He did make a mistake in casting Hunnam though as he was the film's weakest link. Not so much for his skincolor, as much as poor acting skills and general lack of charisma.
    Last edited by Lord Morph; 06-16-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post

He did make a mistake in casting Hunnam though as he was the film's weakest link. Not so much for his skincolor, as much as poor acting skills and general lack of charisma.
    I genuinely had to look him up, BTW. So, totally agreed. lol

Ultimate Member

I can never tell if he's a good actor or not. All the other cast members were genuinely better than him.

Extraordinary Member

LOL that's funny, dude is mad generic tho.

Extraordinary Member

The real star was the concept itself.

Nobody cares about the humans in a Kaiju flick. But somebody had to give them money to film it and if Del Toro had said that the lead was to be the female character they wouldn't have gotten a dime. If he'd said Elba they'd of given him an argument, but mention Hunnan and they don't question jack.

Now Charles Hunam, the dude they got to play John Carter AND the dude who they got to play the Lone Ranger that last time are all mediocre repeat failed action stars, but Hollywood will sign off on each of them, time and again.

I imagine Del Toro would have been fine with whatever gets him to be able to make his own personal Gundam movie.

Ultimate Member

Yet when effort is made to bring non-White male lead characters, somehow that's forced

Ultimate Member

Not according to the studio.

I had to look him up myself. He was a lead on a hit tv show-Sons of Anarchy. He was also mainly known for movies and shows (Queer as Folk) in the UK.

And Del Toro wanted him for Hellboy 2.

So Del was doing his dream casting.

When it's a white lead-money is not an object.

Especially if they cast someone from a hit show or fan favorite show.

Taylor Kitsch was from Friday Night Lights and Wolverine-so Disney was trying to bank on that with John Carter.

Yet with POC-it's like pulling teeth.

Excluding Black Panther and now Cap America Sam Wilson and Spiderverse and even Static, Spawn, Blade, Bitter Root and Black.

We are STILL waiting on DC to do a black lead movie of someone they OWN.