Page 338 of 827 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348388438 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 12396

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I wouldn't even say that he's the only black character DC focuses on, but by default he and John Stewart are the most popular so I can sort of see why Vic might come under tighter scrutiny.

However, Cyborg supposedly not being a wish fulfilment character shouldn't be the end of the discussion. I mean, what about all the other black characters they have? I think the real question is why is it that the general audience will watch a Black Lightning TV show, but the comics fans won't buy a BL comic? Why will the general audience watch cartoons with Vixen and Bumblebee but comics fans won't buy their comics? John Stewart gets love from comics fans, but they don't want to touch Naomi or House of Whispers or The Terrifics?
    Well, Vixen and Bumblebee don't have comics for people to buy, so... unless we're talking about the sales numbers for Vixen's "Return of the Lion" mini-series which was way back in 2009. And I thought Naomi's mini-series did well in sales?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who's Detta Walker?
    My bad yeah she's not really a comic character. A character from the Dark tower books, but like even in novels it's a thing.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Well, Vixen and Bumblebee don't have comics for people to buy, so... unless we're talking about the sales numbers for Vixen's "Return of the Lion" mini-series which was way back in 2009. And I thought Naomi's mini-series did well in sales?
    Fair enough. But I still think the problem is less that more glamorous black heroes ( and other minorities) don't exist at DC, it's that they do but don't get the needed support.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Well it matters because there is so few choices. From Cyborg to Detta Walker black heroes being scarred, disfigured, crazy.etc. is definitely a thing. You got characters like John Stewart and Static that get shelved even though they're popular.
    I don't deny it's a thing but I don't know how prevalent it is in media. I've seen plenty of instances of black character being killed off, portrayed as dumb, depicted as criminals etc disproportionate to their white counterparts but black characters getting scarred doesn't seem like a major thing in media from what I've seen in comparison to those other problems. And honestly, Victor doesn't really fit the deformed label when you get down to it. We're not talking about Quasimodo here.

Extraordinary Member

I don't deny it's a thing but I don't know how prevalent it is in media. I've seen plenty of instances of black character being killed off, portrayed as dumb, depicted as criminals etc disproportionate to their white counterparts but black characters getting scarred doesn't seem like a major thing in media from what I've seen in comparison to those other problems. And honestly, Victor doesn't really fit the deformed label when you get down to it. We're not talking about Quasimodo here.
    Yeah maybe it's more in comics than anything. With Spawn being so big and then Cyborg who's human body has been destroyed. Not Quasimodo but definitely a freak.

Ultimate Member

There's a disproportionate amount of white heroes vs black ones period. I don't see these characters as better or worse because of their escapism potential and as I said, that really shouldn't matter as long as the character is written well. The issue is having more than one black character get focus and that has been an issue with DC for decades long before Cyborg became a League member.
    Well written does not MATTER. We have had well written shows and books get axed or not supported. Pick the top writer at DC to do a Cyborg book. You will know what you will see?
    The GREATEST gymnastic routines to NOT support the book.
    The GREATEST gymnastic routine to NOT sell the book by stores.
    A movement to get the book axed because many will view that A list writer is SLUMPING doing a book called Cyborg. Something they won't say if that A lister was doing Mr Miracle or Warlord or Last Boy on Earth.

And why Cyborg is pushed over others that could be more satisfying.
    Because he is the SAFE black guy. You can get away with doing as little as you want with him because as we have seen so many defend the crumbs. Same with Storm. Because they see both of them in movies, team books and tv shows. They see an interesting Cyborg on tv-that has not translated to comics.

Cyborg having the most cut out of the Justice League film
    Cyborg eventually being the ONLY member to NOT have a movie if Flash gets made
    Cyborg the LAST member of JL to get a comic book
    Cyborg's last book AXED in the middle of a story and last trade axed.
    Cyborg not have a focus story arc in JL that was NOT upstaged by others.
    Cyborg left off of Justice League (nonmovie) stuff.

NOBODY CARED for the most part.

They picked the one guy folks would defend no matter how little was done with him. Who would belittle those who would bring up DC pushing a black man with a messed up body as an attack on the disable. A guy who has ISSUES with his Daddy and DESPITE Cyborg volume 2-isn't a threat to white male sexuality.

While ignoring how POWERFUL he really is. Like the now departed Jason Rsuch was. can't show black folks being more powerful than white guys-right Coats Black Panther? X-Men's Storm? Prodigy? Miles Morales? Vixen? Blue Marvel? Static? Flint of Inhumans? Falcon? Mr Terrific? Night Thrasher?

Ben Grimm, Peter Parker, Matt Murdock
    How many times did Ben Grimm cry about being the THING? Reed blames himself more than Ben for the way he is. Yet we have seen Ben get MARRIED and have at least 2 lovers.
    What about Daredevil? BLIND and still got women chasing him.
    Peter Parker-the NERD got a HOT wife while being LUSTED after by Black Cat and others.
    Logan/Scott Summers somehow found ways to get Jean, Storm, Emma and others into their beds.
    We have seen plain old Steve Rogers and Peter Parker stand up to GODS and beat them.
    White guys being the faces of crossovers or events.
    All these wish fulfillment folks for white kids to see themselves (and anyone else). Ugly, uppity, stuck up, boy scoutish and nerdy white guys getting women. Saving the day. Being the voice of reason. Being the one to offer the lecture of politics.

Why can't that be Cyborg?
    Or any BLACK PERSON at Dc?
    Why are so many asexual (Michael Holt the exception)?
    The one married black couple-we don't see them in Mal and Karen.
    Why does every time Supergirl get a black lover-her book is AXED? She likes Ben and HE LIKES her.

Why is there a there can only be ONE mindset going on at DC?
    JO in Far Sector is the ONLY black solo at DC. Naomi takes a break when she shows up (since Jamal Campbell has too many gigs).

Then I remember-we can't offend folks like comicsgate and those who get offended at showing POC (especially blacks) as fully functional human beings. Despite everyone else from Marvel to no name comic books companies trying to.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Naomi did but they planned a break due to Jamal's workload. The plan was for Naomi to have her first mini and then divide time in Bendis's other books before she started volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well written does not MATTER. We have had well written shows and books get axed or not supported. Pick the top writer at DC to do a Cyborg book. You will know what you will see?
    The GREATEST gymnastic routines to NOT support the book.
    The GREATEST gymnastic routine to NOT sell the book by stores.
    A movement to get the book axed because many will view that A list writer is SLUMPING doing a book called Cyborg. Something they won't say if that A lister was doing Mr Miracle or Warlord or Last Boy on Earth.
    Here are the reasons I have seen people give for why they don’t support a Cyborg book:
    He’s ugly
    He doesn’t have a penis
    I only like him when he’s with the Titans.

If Cyborg is facing a movement against him, it isn’t just coming from Comicsgate.

They picked the one guy folks would defend no matter how little was done with him. Who would belittle those who would bring up DC pushing a black man with a messed up body as an attack on the disable. A guy who has ISSUES with his Daddy and DESPITE Cyborg volume 2-isn't a threat to white male sexuality.
    Who cares? No seriously, why are we measuring Cyborg’s worth by how many white guys’ sexuality he threatens? I don’t see white men worrying about their women being taken by Luke Cage, Miles Morales, Blade or any of the guys you like. Victor has a love interest of his own anyway.

While ignoring how POWERFUL he really is. Like the now departed Jason Rsuch was. can't show black folks being more powerful than white guys-right Coats Black Panther? X-Men's Storm? Prodigy? Miles Morales? Vixen? Blue Marvel? Static? Flint of Inhumans? Falcon? Mr Terrific? Night Thrasher?
    I thought people’s problems with Coates is that everyone was competent and powerful except T’Challa. Most of the guys you mentioned either don’t have super powers or are mid-tier at best by design.

How many times did Ben Grimm cry about being the THING?
    Plenty of times. It’s the one thing Ben is best known for next to yelling, “It’s clobberin’ time!”.

Yet we have seen Ben get MARRIED and have at least 2 lovers.
    That’s about the same number as Victor.

Joe Schmoe white guy here. I'd be happy to write a series about Cyborg where hes....you know, a fun character that balances out being disabled with fun superhero ****.

Like....

Dealing with a sattelite controlled atomic death tank the size of a building about to destroy a city

A magic foe keen to one up this "tick tock man"

Another Cyborg who willingly upgraded but for all the wrong reasons and keeps coming back less and less human

An issue where he and beastboy chill out in a SOL issue

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Joe Schmoe white guy here. I'd be happy to write a series about Cyborg where hes....you know, a fun character that balances out being disabled with fun superhero ****.

Like....

Dealing with a sattelite controlled atomic death tank the size of a building about to destroy a city

A magic foe keen to one up this "tick tock man"

Another Cyborg who willingly upgraded but for all the wrong reasons and keeps coming back less and less human

An issue where he and beastboy chill out in a SOL issue
    Love your ideas, and that's actually an excellent idea for a villain. Magic vs tech.

Also, I love love LOVE Grid.

Or...at least as presented in Injustice 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    JAn issue where he and beastboy chill out in a SOL issue
    I'm assuming this doesn't stand for "**** Outta Luck" lol, but I'm clueless as to what it is.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm assuming this doesn't stand for "**** Outta Luck" lol, but I'm clueless as to what it is.
    Slice of life. Not every issue needs to be a punchfest, so Slice of life is where they chill, chat, hace character moments etc

BANNED

Terry Mcginnis is some kind of eurasian mix, which is somewhat close to whatever I am. I'm not sure somehow if I just look like I'm japanese or if I am.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    Terry Mcginnis is some kind of eurasian mix, which is somewhat close to whatever I am. I'm not sure somehow if I just look like I'm japanese or if I am.
    I can't speak to your ethnic background but Terry isn't eurasian though he sort of looks that way.

I think thats the artstyle