Page 607 of 827 FirstFirst ... 107507557597603604605606607608609610611617657707 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,105 of 12392
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What kills me is that they hung out in story for what seemed like a day or two and now she "loves" him?
    As others have said, that’s par for the course in most action-adventure films…

…though I think the issue is more bluntly that Rian Johnson seemed to have created Rose almost entirely as a reactionary rejection against even the remote possibility of Rey and Finn have a more gradually developed romance; heck, I’d argue the enitre “flaw” Finn has in TLJ is built around trying to paint Finn as being too close to Rey, since he clearly *did* get the bigger picture and get motivated more by the plight of the Galaxy rather than Rey to return instead of running away. People like to try to say his “I’m just here for Rey” line proves he was myopically obsessed with her on Starkiller Base… but the dude left when she begged him to stay, and only ran back to Han once he saw palnetray genocide being committed, *then* asked about Rey.

All that makes it feel like Johnson created Rose and cast a good actress in Kelly Marie Tran almost exclusively to throw at Finn as a warm body more than anything else - Boyega had strong chemistry with both Ridley and Tran, but TFA used it much better, while TLJ seems almost ignorant of it after the first scene.

The result, along with the complete lack of ambition and almost painfully obvious demotion Finn went through, feels like it was a punishment of Finn for not being who Johnson or LFL wanted as the male lead.

(On a separate note, I philosophically agree that Rey didn’t need to be a Skywalker for her sake, and that the family isn’t needed for most Star Wars stories… but I also knew for a fact that the audience and creators were going to implement a double standard favoring Kylo over everyone, including Rey and Finn, if he were the only Skywalker. There’s simply too much audience investment in the family already, and I think people overlook how ingrained and natural the double standard feels; the only difference between how similar and repetitive Rey and Kylo feel as characters is that Kylo is an official continuation of his family while Rey isn’t, so that plus sexism leads to people whining about Rey not being original or a “Mary Sue” all while Kylo’s equally unoriginal and very much a pseudo-self insert for biased fans who ignore his crimes in favor of seeing the vicarious Skywalker story they want.

Once the family story was included with a new generation among the baddies, there had to be a counterbalancing heroic member, or it would screw up everything. Guess what? It screwed up everything.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

Sonic mania is a recent game that got a lot of positive response, mostly because Sega threw their hands in the air and just let Christian Whitehead do his thing. It's an homage to the 2d Sonic games, the first three, and my personal favorite, Sonic CD.
    sonic mania is like the first three sonic games.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Disney even canceled the Infinity series even though it was making them lots of money.

It seems for Disney, having to keep servers up for online games or having to have long standing in house dev teams like Sonic Team, isn't worth the effort.

They are only cool with licensed games, because someone else is doing all the work. If Nomura worked for Disney, they would have probably let Kingdom Hearts die after Chain Of Memories and sacked him afterwards.
    When Infinity got the axe, they also shut down Disney Interactive Studios. I don't think they own Square either. It's so strange that Disney doesn't care about games, not that I'm complaining, it's just odd.

Extraordinary Member

When Infinity got the axe, they also shut down Disney Interactive Studios. I don't think they own Square either. It's so strange that Disney doesn't care about games, not that I'm complaining, it's just odd.
    Disney doesn't own Square, thank goodness.

Square is a large independent Japanese Videogame Company.

I was just speculating that if Disney soled owned the highly profitable fan favorite Kingdom Hearts franchise they would have quit 2 games in.

I agree, it really is strange how little Disney cares about games. Even when they had people throwing money at them for Infinity, they couldn't wait to shut it down,

They really must want partners like Sega, Square and EA to do all the work in creating new titles and maintaining them in the Gaming market for them.

My guess is that Disney thinks they get enough money from movies and shows. Some people probably still think of games as a niche medium.

Ultimate Member

I was just speculating that if Disney soled owned the highly profitable fan favorite Kingdom Hearts franchise they would have quit 2 games in.

I agree, it really is strange how little Disney cares about games. Even when they had people throwing money at them for Infinity, they couldn't wait to shut it down,

They really must want partners like Sega, Square and EA to do all the work in creating new titles and maintaining them in the Gaming market for them.
    The thing about Disney is that apart from theme parks and some animated movies, Disney weren’t really good at much. Their live action arm was so bad that they almost shuttered it back in the day and even recently they still made historic bombs like the Lone Ranger and John Carter.

Disney basically saw they really couldn’t scale based on their in-house ability and simply acquired they way into dominance. Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel give off the impression that Disney is some home of excellence when in reality those companies are working semi-autonomously from Disney (although the Disney acquisition ultimately ended up being a good thing for Marvel studios because it allowed them to move away from that racist lunatic Ron Pearlman).

Disney have so much capital and cash now that they probably feel they should control every sector they play in. Marvel has allowed them to gain that foothold with superheroes and Pixar combined with their own IP mean they dominate children’s entertainment.

Disney can’t really dominate the video games industry in any meaningful way and until then i suspect that Disney might not want to play too much in that field.

Because that was too much like work. Disney is the world-wide leader in IP, that's the business and the only reason any games from 8-Bit to Switch are pretty great is because the third party guys didn't want to put out a crap product for the brand imo and were likely given the time and resources to produce. I'm sure there were certain markers and mandates over time and there are some stinkers here and there but by and large, some of the coolest carts (most of those early games were a pretty good challenge too btw) to hit the early consoles going forward to presently, were the handful of Disney characters. That was before all the IP they bought post 2000. I just bough the Lion King for Super Nintendo a month ago, I'm still looking for an Aladdin for my Genesis just so me and the girls can play when they get a little older. Btw that Lion King game cost me 20 bucks- no box, no book and I was like, that's a steal.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Disney wouldn't have let the story of Kingdom Hearts be all over the place if they owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    My guess is that Disney thinks they get enough money from movies and shows. Some people probably still think of games as a niche medium.
    They might. They wanted Spectrobes to be a "pokemon killer." The game came out in 2006, around the time of Diamond and Pearl. It didn't stand a chance. Spectrobes has really interesting creature design, but it wasn't enough to move past two sequels.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    As others have said, that’s par for the course in most action-adventure films…

…though I think the issue is more bluntly that Rian Johnson seemed to have created Rose almost entirely as a reactionary rejection against even the remote possibility of Rey and Finn have a more gradually developed romance; heck, I’d argue the enitre “flaw” Finn has in TLJ is built around trying to paint Finn as being too close to Rey, since he clearly *did* get the bigger picture and get motivated more by the plight of the Galaxy rather than Rey to return instead of running away. People like to try to say his “I’m just here for Rey” line proves he was myopically obsessed with her on Starkiller Base… but the dude left when she begged him to stay, and only ran back to Han once he saw palnetray genocide being committed, *then* asked about Rey.

All that makes it feel like Johnson created Rose and cast a good actress in Kelly Marie Tran almost exclusively to throw at Finn as a warm body more than anything else - Boyega had strong chemistry with both Ridley and Tran, but TFA used it much better, while TLJ seems almost ignorant of it after the first scene.

The result, along with the complete lack of ambition and almost painfully obvious demotion Finn went through, feels like it was a punishment of Finn for not being who Johnson or LFL wanted as the male lead.

(On a separate note, I philosophically agree that Rey didn’t need to be a Skywalker for her sake, and that the family isn’t needed for most Star Wars stories… but I also knew for a fact that the audience and creators were going to implement a double standard favoring Kylo over everyone, including Rey and Finn, if he were the only Skywalker. There’s simply too much audience investment in the family already, and I think people overlook how ingrained and natural the double standard feels; the only difference between how similar and repetitive Rey and Kylo feel as characters is that Kylo is an official continuation of his family while Rey isn’t, so that plus sexism leads to people whining about Rey not being original or a “Mary Sue” all while Kylo’s equally unoriginal and very much a pseudo-self insert for biased fans who ignore his crimes in favor of seeing the vicarious Skywalker story they want.

Once the family story was included with a new generation among the baddies, there had to be a counterbalancing heroic member, or it would screw up everything. Guess what? It screwed up everything.)
    Par for the course doesn't mean it's good. Movies and shows should dump these idiotic cliches

I never interpreted Finn as obsessed with Rey. As for Rose, Idk what the motivation was to add her, but tossing her aside in RoS because of backlash seems like an even worse decision to me.

Your point about double standards is appropriate, because "mary sue" is one of the most overused, sexist criticisms of media

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    apart from theme parks
    My brother and 6 other cousins went to World or land, whichever is in Florida and this was in the mid-1980s. From it's inception through at least then, that place was likely the number 1 destination in America. We didn't even stay at the resort and not the whole trip was spent there, we went to a spot on way. My folks prolly spent a couple G's as a group back then and we didn't all get no **** to take back of note really. Keep in mind Captain EO was the hottest thing going at that time.

The average Disney World vacation for a family of 4 will cost $4,200. This calculation is based on a 4-night hotel stay at a Disney Value Resort, 4-days worth of theme park tickets, and food expenses for 4 people over the course of the trip.Jul 6, 2020
    Gas/travel and the tax of screaming kids on the road not taken into account.

Ron Pearlman).
    Whoa, Pearlmutter right? I'm like what Clay Morrow done said lol?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Because that was too much like work. Disney is the world-wide leader in IP, that's the business and the only reason any games from 8-Bit to Switch are pretty great is because the third party guys didn't want to put out a crap product for the brand imo and were likely given the time and resources to produce. I'm sure there were certain markers and mandates over time and there are some stinkers here and there but by and large, some of the coolest carts (most of those early games were a pretty good challenge too btw) to hit the early consoles going forward to presently, were the handful of Disney characters. That was before all the IP they bought post 2000. I just bough the Lion King for Super Nintendo a month ago, I'm still looking for an Aladdin for my Genesis just so me and the girls can play when they get a little older. Btw that Lion King game cost me 20 bucks- no box, no book and I was like, that's a steal.
    You have a Genesis? That's cool. I imagine the Retro market is having kind of a boom right now since people have a hard time finding the new Xboxes and Playstation 5s, thanks to those lousy scalpers and the superconductor shortage.

You have a Genesis? That's cool. I imagine the Retro market is having kind of a boom right now since people have a hard time finding the new Xboxes and Playstation 5s, thanks to those lousy scalpers and the superconductor shortage.
    Retro game market been a bull. My damn YouTube feed in the other room is littered with all these Retro ranking videos, all of them done in the past year or so, it's hoppin. The Disc replay's have competition from a couple places here in the city now. They got one machine that has a SNES, Genesis, 8-Bit and some other system in one unit. Chip shortage is real but these latest systems release games with bugs in them still. Back in the day there was none of that or DLC. Getting expensive too.
    You bet yer ass.

Only old system I have is a modded Sega Saturn. Still works but I'm looking into getting a HDMI convertor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    My brother and 6 other cousins went to World or land, whichever is in Florida and this was in the mid-1980s. From it's inception through at least then, that place was likely the number 1 destination in America. We didn't even stay at the resort and not the whole trip was spent there, we went to a spot on way. My folks prolly spent a couple G's as a group back then and we didn't all get no **** to take back of note really. Keep in mind Captain EO was the hottest thing going at that time.

Gas/travel and the tax of screaming kids on the road not taken into account.

Whoa, Pearlmutter right? I'm like what Clay Morrow done said lol?
    LOLOL...I meant Perlmutter.

My sleepy brain mixed him up with the Perelman (investment banker) that got Marvel bankrupted in the 90s.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Par for the course doesn't mean it's good. Movies and shows should dump these idiotic cliches

I never interpreted Finn as obsessed with Rey. As for Rose, Idk what the motivation was to add her, but tossing her aside in RoS because of backlash seems like an even worse decision to me.

Your point about double standards is appropriate, because "mary sue" is one of the most overused, sexist criticisms of media
    Yeah, every time someone makes fun of Finn yelling Rey’s name in a way that implies Finn is obsessed, I feel like giving them the side-eye because it always feels like a blatant dog whistle of *some* kind or another. Even in the bad examples from TROS, Finn’s motives for rushing after Rey are unimpeachable desires to help her in situations where she honestly could use it in a very practical manner… often because Kylo is in the immediate process of trying to do her harm and being quite capable of doing so… while the same people who make fun of Finn for it express an explicit desire for Rey to just stop trying to fight Kylo and join him.

Seriously, that’s like the most obviously biased bullshit in Star Wars, whether it’s racist, sexist, or elitist (based off Kylo’s family.)

Rose got the same experience Gwendolyn Christie got; screwed over by two directors who didn’t know what to do with her, even the one who introduced her. Johnson even seemed to express his own apathy towards her character when he explained he cut Finn as Paige Tico’s co-gunner because he just didn’t care to write the kind of emotional twist that would have added to Rose and Finn’ interactions. Abrams should have “rehabilitated” her see how rather than exiling her to a distant role away from everything, but it’s not like Johnson made her very interesting to anyone who didn’t either a) see Tran getting bullied by assholes just because she played a poor character, or b) have an insecurity about their support for Reylo that they needed Finn kept away from.

Rose got screwed in TROS as much as Finn got screwed in TLJ, but Finn had earned exponentially more fans in TFA than Rose had in TLJ.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP