Page 581 of 824 FirstFirst ... 81481531571577578579580581582583584585591631681 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 12353
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I mean, MOTU has always been a pretty vapid franchise, from inception its only purpose was to cobble together as many marketable concepts as possible in order to sell toys, trying to incorporate any meaningful message into the story is always going to feel tacked on. The series is really popular more for its iconography and the chord it strikes with kids' imaginations than any of the actual content they made for it. Oh sure, everyone loves the character designs and theme song and the "by the power of Grayskull!" bit, but the cartoon itself has pretty much always been cheesy and borderline unwatchable.
    Yep, like most Saturday morning cartoons of that era there was really nothing to them.

Seriously, the cartoons themselves had no lore no properly developed backstories..nothing. Transformers and G.I Joe got fleshed about by Marvel comics, the cartoons themselves were the equivalent of a 6 year old thinking up stories just to smash their toys together. He-man was particularly nonsensical, there was pretty much nothing in the cartoon. Some of the old stuff is on YouTube for anyone to watch, they’re crap.

Even the Japanese cartoons that were adapted for the American market then were almost completely butchered to remove the adult themes, violence and the likes.

The “poison of nostalgia” is becoming a real thing because geek culture has become mainstream. People now look back at the stuff they enjoyed with rose tinted glasses and can’t even appreciate them for what they were. It’s like the politics in comics argument, you have some folks jumping up and down screaming about how comics didn’t have politics. Which is utterly bizarre considering X-men, Captain America and a lot of comics were explicitly political, we were just too young to understand.

Now I'm really worried about what that Silverhawks reboot will cause.

Ultimate Member

There weren't really any good animated tv series before the 90s, were there? Aside from maybe some superhero adaptations

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Now I'm really worried about what that Silverhawks reboot will cause.
    I bet you they’ll change the race and/or gender of some characters.

And you’ll get the expected freak out.

At this point, I think producers do this stuff to cause controversy. Said controversy brings eyeballs to these shows.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/15/10160...ght-bridgerton

Npr did an interesting article about Colorblind casting that I stumbled upon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    AH, not like I expected it but it seem like we didn't get much rhythm on the new Kevin Smith MOTU. A Clamp Champ appearance if you blinked you missed it and a dead King of Eternia. What good are you Mark?

Guess I'll just keep waiting for that Olmec Sun-Man property to find a backer. Been 35 years, some fans ain't worth the effort to even move up to alienating I see.

The black woman who made those toys sold them to I think Hasbro before she went to work for President Bill Clinton.

What is this toy?

I've never seen it before.
    A black woman started this toyline after her son complained about no toys that looked like him.

http://www.sunman.he-man.us/Yla_Eason.htm

So she somehow got the molds for not just He-Man but GI Joe as well and made Sun Man and the Bronze Bombers. She also had dolls-one dressed like Tiger Woods with a little brother and a black couple wedding doll.

The Bronze Bombers will set you back $50 EACH on Ebay. While Sun Man starts at $700.

And even Meteor Man had a figure.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yeah, it is weird. You see it with stuff all the time. Stuff that isn't good gets praised just because certain crazy people hate it so much.

I don't know, internet "activism" is weird. I feel like it makes people feel like they are doing something with no sacrifice basically. They bare minimum and they feel good about themselves.
    It's the fake woke belief that no one is allowed to have an opinion. Pro-blacks are among the WORST who do it. We are suppose to accept EVERYTHING because in most cases we are that DESERATE for something.

See Black Panther 2-how many times have we been lectured about not supporting it?
    TRY saying something about Deon Sanders and see how fast Jackson State University folks attack you.
    Same with WAP-no matter how bad it is-all they see is black chunky female empowerment. And we won't discuss Lil Nas X.

Those folks are throwing fits about He-Man because they have been ALLOWED to get away with all the other times they have attacked folks. And the times companies PANDERED to them.

See New Warriors, Spider-Woman cover, the Inhumans, Riri Williams's Scott Campbell cover and so on.

Nobody has the guts to say-you don't have to watch or read something you don't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    There weren't really any good animated tv series before the 90s, were there? Aside from maybe some superhero adaptations
    There was one good episode of the Superfriends. It was in the later seasons, and it was called "The Fear." Scarecrow uses his fear gas to make Batman relive his parents' murders. Of course, it was sanitized to fit in with the limited violence rules of the day. Remember, they wouldn't even let Superman punch a robot if the robot looked too human. That said, the episode did as good a job as could be expected covering Batman's origin.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The story of Williams sisters.

I hope this movie does them justice because these girls are probably two of the most significant sports figures of the last 20 years.

And two of the most important black women ever.

OK, Ok! That's a dope surprise, had no idea this was in production. I'm a sports GUY now you hear me, so I've got 2 questions... Who is gonna play Maria Sharapova, Serena BEAT, THAT, ASS, 20 times out of 23. #2 whose gonna play that bitch Martina Hingis.

Being black only helps them. Many times they get sponsors because they are black. And they have had a lot of advantages because they can always say, It's racism. They can always come back and say, Because we are this color, things happen.
    Waaoow, wow, wow. Now to be fair, she was known to take the low road every chance she got with real low class remarks to several of her competitors, so the ease in which she fell into that ol bullshit wasn't way out reach of her character.

I heard from Rich Williams many a times over the last 20 years and I think Will Smith is ahhh, putting a little polish on the character for the masses but hey, long as the message gets out there. Username is right, both of them are equal parts Peyton Manning with the Hardware of Tom Brady, Champions, the pair. American sports dominance like what they did is pretty unparalleled. Guess I'm gonna put my Big Willie disdain aside like I had to for Ali and 'TELL THE TOOTH'! Yo I'm looking forward to this.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    How DARE you mention Sun-Man...

...without ALSO mentioning Butterfly Woman?

Yeah my folks made it a point to get both Sun-Man AND Pig-Head for me.
    Shoutout to Butterfly Woman and your folks. That's forward thinking into action, salute. I do remember Pig-Head.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The black woman who made those toys sold them to I think Hasbro before she went to work for President Bill Clinton.

The Bronze Bombers will set you back $50 EACH on Ebay. While Sun Man starts at $700.

And even Meteor Man had a figure.
    Huh, I didn't know that, that's cool. I wonder if she still has a ton of those figures stashed somewhere, that collector market game is for real.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Shoutout to Butterfly Woman and your folks. That's forward thinking into action, salute. I do remember Pig-Head.
    Basically Sun-Man's Skeletor. He was right there in the pic you posted.

I remember in the mini-comic he had a henchman he abused named Chem-Brain. Basically his Beast Man I suppose.

Also the one I had didn't have a flattop:

Finally, since there's a limit on photos, check out these Sun-Man custom figures.

I know they're basically re-using and painting Hawkman wings for the wings, the rest of the figure I'm drawing a blank.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    There was one good episode of the Superfriends. It was in the later seasons, and it was called "The Fear." Scarecrow uses his fear gas to make Batman relive his parents' murders. Of course, it was sanitized to fit in with the limited violence rules of the day. Remember, they wouldn't even let Superman punch a robot if the robot looked too human. That said, the episode did as good a job as could be expected covering Batman's origin.
    Ok. I've never watched the show myself.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Nobody has the guts to say-you don't have to watch or read something you don't care for.
    People say that all the time. Hell, I've been saying this to everyone who bitches about the existence of the DC movies and shows like its a war crime. It never works because they always fire back with "I have a right to my opinion" or whatever such nonsense.

Life is too busy to hate watch stuff. I'll never understand that.

I mean, that is the reason I won't see BP2. I won't enjoy it, it will be depressing. Why would I waste 3 hours of my life to go to a movie theater, spend 15 bucks, an drive back... just to not have fun? What sense does that make lol?

People have serious FOMO these days and also fear of not being able to bitch with the masses.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yep, like most Saturday morning cartoons of that era there was really nothing to them.

Seriously, the cartoons themselves had no lore no properly developed backstories..nothing. Transformers and G.I Joe got fleshed about by Marvel comics, the cartoons themselves were the equivalent of a 6 year old thinking up stories just to smash their toys together. He-man was particularly nonsensical, there was pretty much nothing in the cartoon. Some of the old stuff is on YouTube for anyone to watch, they’re crap.

Even the Japanese cartoons that were adapted for the American market then were almost completely butchered to remove the adult themes, violence and the likes.

The “poison of nostalgia” is becoming a real thing because geek culture has become mainstream. People now look back at the stuff they enjoyed with rose tinted glasses and can’t even appreciate them for what they were. It’s like the politics in comics argument, you have some folks jumping up and down screaming about how comics didn’t have politics. Which is utterly bizarre considering X-men, Captain America and a lot of comics were explicitly political, we were just too young to understand.
    MOTU is just a different animal honestly, at least things like Transformers and GI Joe have been continually updated for new audiences over the years, but every time they've tried this with MOTU it just doesn't work and the franchise is perpetually stuck in the 80s. I collected MOTU Classics for a bit, and while I did enjoy the figures if not the expense, it was honestly a bit crazy to me how insistent the fanbase was that every last detail be recreated faithfully from the original, even if the vintage toy was just some last second mish mash of random parts. But on the other hand, if you really think about, how exactly could they update He-Man to be relevant in 2021, and who would be the audience for that? Anyone who wasn't fanatically obsessed with the franchise forgot about MOTU a long time ago, and so if you don't appeal to the hardcore fans you really aren't appealing to anyone.