Page 689 of 828 FirstFirst ... 189589639679685686687688689690691692693699739789 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,335 of 12411

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think American liberals made a mistake in the 1970s by insisting that there were no differences between Black people and white people. What we should have done was admit to differences, but say that we should celebrate those differences or at least acknowledge them and move on, instead of using those differences as an excuse to hate each other.
    Well, I can agree the 70's were an opportunity, unfortunately it came on the heals of the Civil Rights movement and the pushback on that was broad and equally uneven (i.e. The South, in one sense). Incorporating more African-Americans into the labor force in the 70's was going against a tide. 'Fuck what the feds say' was the common sentiment in more places than is comfortable to admit. Best thing to happen to Black Folks in the 1970s was Sesame Street and Fred Rogers imo. Then came Regan in the 70's who couldn't wait to tell white folks how to feel about Black folks again, i.e. when Roots came out.

"Very frankly, I thought the bias of all the good people being one color and all the bad people being another was rather destructive." He added that he was impressed by the huge audience the series attained, but "I didn't know there was anyone who could stay home eight nights in a row."
    Tuh. Charlton Heston was a 'white liberal' in the 60's until he came into his real truth by the end of the 70's. I feel 'white libs' was like- 'that's my shift getting Civil Rights passed, time to clock back out!'

And Black people don't and can't HATE White poeple in the same analogous terms it works in the other direction. There iss no precident for say, brutalities sake, for one. No systematic hierarchy in place to act on such a thing. It's self defeating for us. Thing is, It's taken Black people a lot of time developing a keen discernment in engaging our majority counterparts and peers. I feel so many things are glossed over or fall short due to this lack of acknowledgement.

FWiw, certain American milestones have a deeper meaning to US than the effect on the larger populace. That's why we joke about "The Kenyan" who dared from time to time.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    So not exactly a matter of color of the skin…
    Well, of course not. But that's kind of the point I'm trying to make. Saying that there are no differences between people with white skin and people with Black skin because the skin color causes no difference, except maybe the susceptibility to skin cancer, it makes it too easy to ignore all of the cultural differences.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Only people that go "i dont see color/race" are people who aren't around different colored/raced people.

All people are equal... not all people are identical.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What non-mono race country doesn't have race issues?

Europe, Canada, and Australia always have this smugness in regards to American's "deep racism" while completely ignoring their own. (not saying you are from these countries just saying).
    All those areas are just as racist as the US. Anyone saying otherwise is being dishonest.

The only difference could be in the way they express their discrimination and how much the culture is influenced by racism.

Like I said earlier, here in Canada my wife and I have encountered racism. That despite the fact that I come from a multi-ethnic background.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-30-2022 at 05:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Only people that go "i dont see color/race" are people who aren't around different colored/raced people.

All people are equal... not all people are identical.
    Quoted for truth.

Human beings are one race but we are not all identical.

We should simply treat everyone equally.

Extraordinary Member

I better not put this off any longer

I'm kinda private so this harder than it should be. Ok.

I want you all to know I'm not asking for anything. I have no GoFundMe I've been really lucky with my Stateinsurance . Only piece of luck I've had.

Last in June I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. They put me on chemo right away. The initial mix was helpful. Later treatments less so.

So now the docs are trying a new therapy. I have no idea if it working or not. Nutrition is a major issue as my appetite is dead.

Any well wishes would be appreciated.

Don't know what even to say. Thanks for listening,

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

I want you all to know I'm not asking for anything. I have no GoFundMe I've been really lucky with my Stateinsurance . Only piece of luck I've had.

Last in June I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. They put me on chemo right away. The initial mix was helpful. Later treatments less so.

So now the docs are trying a new therapy. I have no idea if it working or not. Nutrition is a major issue as my appetite is dead.

My best wishes…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Good lord. I am so, so sorry to hear this.

Best wishes and good luck.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Well, I can agree the 70's were an opportunity, unfortunately it came on the heals of the Civil Rights movement and the pushback on that was broad and equally uneven (i.e. The South, in one sense). Incorporating more African-Americans into the labor force in the 70's was going against a tide. 'Fuck what the feds say' was the common sentiment in more places than is comfortable to admit. Best thing to happen to Black Folks in the 1970s was Sesame Street and Fred Rogers imo. Then came Regan in the 70's who couldn't wait to tell white folks how to feel about Black folks again, i.e. when Roots came out.

Tuh. Charlton Heston was a 'white liberal' in the 60's until he came into his real truth by the end of the 70's. I feel 'white libs' was like- 'that's my shift getting Civil Rights passed, time to clock back out!'

And Black people don't and can't HATE White poeple in the same analogous terms it works in the other direction. There iss no precident for say, brutalities sake, for one. No systematic hierarchy in place to act on such a thing. It's self defeating for us. Thing is, It's taken Black people a lot of time developing a keen discernment in engaging our majority counterparts and peers. I feel so many things are glossed over or fall short due to this lack of acknowledgement.

FWiw, certain American milestones have a deeper meaning to US than the effect on the larger populace. That's why we joke about "The Kenyan" who dared from time to time.
    One thing I have witnessed (and it's something other minorities have too because my Puerto-Rican relatives think the same thing) is a lot of "white liberals" shift away from liberalism when the culture shifts a little left. It's like they can't agree with any other form of liberalism that doesn't fit their own definition and they then automatically shift towards the right. We're still seeing it today with idiots like Bill Maher and even bigger asshats like Elon Musk. Basically, if they have no say over the control of the narrative, they shift to the side where they can influence the said narrative. Needless to say, it's problematic in a number of ways because guys like these were never really about the struggle, it was always about them getting attention.

Most minorities I have interacted with don't hate white people, they simply don't have the luxury to do so. In fact, we don't really talk about white people in our private lives at all. However (for whatever reason), it does seem that minorities activities and their lives live rent-free in a lot of white people's minds. So many white people simply utter racist garbage (sometimes its very passive or subtle but its racist) at the first minority they meet for whatever reason. This is just speculation on my part because I'm not white but from the laws being enacted (anti-CRT, anti-trans e.t.c) it seems a lot of affluent white people spend an absurd time thinking (negatively) about minorities.

Best wishes. Hope you pull through.

Hate to hear this

Good Luck Man.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 05-30-2022 at 07:53 AM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Oh man, godspeed Vic.

Good luck with the treatment.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is just speculation on my part because I'm not white but from the laws being enacted (anti-CRT, anti-trans e.t.c) it seems a lot of affluent white people spend an absurd time thinking (negatively) about minorities.
    The Anti CRT mess comes from Karens being at home and having to watch the kids due to Covid.

The ones you see yapping their mouths all the sudden are NOT the ones who have been keeping an eye on the kids and their classwork from day one.

The books that are being banned are not required reading in schools. Heck most would never see a boost in sales if those Karens stayed quiet.

Some of those folks think negative because how many POC do they interact with?

Take Sierra Canyon School in California.

1000+ kids. Only 60 are black and they are all athletes including Bronny James. 9 Nba player and Willow Smith came from there. So what viewpoints will those white kids get about us in a school and even a city that has 2% black population?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Good lord. I am so, so sorry to hear this.

Best wishes and good luck.
    Wrong post.