Page 688 of 827 FirstFirst ... 188588638678684685686687688689690691692698738788 ... LastLast
Results 10,306 to 10,320 of 12391

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    From what I understand, those lousy cops stayed outside because they were afraid of being shot at...they all need to turn in their badges. Every single one of them.
    correct. and stopped parents from going in. oh... after the cops went in and got their own kids out.....

I believe 1/some federal agents went int here and stopped it. Border patrol or something.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 05-28-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is correct.

Oh let me add this-test scores are now split by race.
    ok this leads to a funny ish story.

My kids are only 1/4 black and don't look it at all. But, one drop blah blah blah.

They are listed as black at school.

The school they go to is one of the richest public schools in town. Great test scores and such. Basically all white...

except there is one black trailer community right on the border that is zoned for the school bc it is the closet one despite being very far away. The test scores that come out of that zone are.... not good.

My kids, who's test scores are really high... drag up the test score average for the "black kids" because there aren't that many of them.

We have jokingly threatened (my wife teaches there so) to change them to "white" if they don't meet our teacher demands at times lol.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    From what I understand, those lousy cops stayed outside because they were afraid of being shot at...they all need to turn in their badges. Every single one of them.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They are listed as black at school
    Kids are listed by race in US schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Kids are listed by race in US schools?
    Schools have demographic information, yes.

gender and race.

Are you from one of those mono-race countries or something

gender and race.

Nope, but if someone was to start listing kids according to their race, well, first that person would be asked why in hell he is doing such a thing and second, he would most likely get fired.

Crazy how deep racism goes in the US. And even crazier how normalized some expression of it are.

gender and race.

Collecting data on religion or race is forbidden in France…

Edit: Not completely true. Possible, but it’s framed.
    Last edited by Zelena; 05-29-2022 at 05:35 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Nope, but if someone was to start listing kids according to their race, well, first that person would be asked why in hell he is doing such a thing and second, he would most likely get fired.

Crazy how deep racism goes in the US. And even crazier how normalized some expression of it are.
    You can't identify problem areas related to systemic racism if you're unwilling to collect data that might show it. Of course, some might prefer it that way.

What non-mono race country doesn't have race issues?

Europe, Canada, and Australia always have this smugness in regards to American's "deep racism" while completely ignoring their own. (not saying you are from these countries just saying).

I wouldn’t call it “racism” but I find odd too that so many things are considered in terms of race in the US. Either you say it matters or it doesn’t matter.

There is racism, there is discrimination but I would have found unsettling to be labeled by a public institution by something as superficial as the color of my skin.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I think American liberals made a mistake in the 1970s by insisting that there were no differences between Black people and white people. What we should have done was admit to differences, but say that we should celebrate those differences or at least acknowledge them and move on, instead of using those differences as an excuse to hate each other.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I wouldn’t call it “racism” but I find odd too that so many things are considered in terms of race in the US. Either you say it matters or it doesn’t matter.

There is racism, there is discrimination but I would have found unsettling to be labeled by a public institution by something as superficial as the color of my skin.
    It is collecting data to make sure certain groups of people aren't neglected. It is tryhing to fix systemic racism instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

Pretending something doesn't matter or exist is just putting fingers in your ears and saying "everything is fine! we don't see color!" while minorities are like "wait no it isnt??"
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 05-29-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think American liberals made a mistake in the 1970s by insisting that there were no differences between Black people and white people. What we should have done was admit to differences, but say that we should celebrate those differences or at least acknowledge them and move on, instead of using those differences as an excuse to hate each other.
    What are the differences according to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What are the differences according to you?
    Mostly cultural, like music, art, etc. Some of those differences result from Black slaves not being allowed to learn how to read or write. Other differences stem from economics, like a greater percentage of Black people living in poverty than white people.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Mostly cultural, like music, art, etc. Some of those differences result from Black slaves not being allowed to learn how to read or write. Other differences stem from economics, like a greater percentage of Black people living in poverty than white people.
    So not exactly a matter of color of the skin…