Page 577 of 827 FirstFirst ... 77477527567573574575576577578579580581587627677 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,655 of 12396
    BANNED

There's also a mental health factor. Fat/sugar/salt is a kind of reward/temporary boost of good feeling, and if you're feeling stressed it can help (or seem to, in the moment). Same of course with alcohol/tobacco/etc. Unrealistic, but if people in general had less stress in their lives and easier access (or access at all) to mental health professionals they might not feel as much of a need to get their fix.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    There's also a mental health factor. Fat/sugar/salt is a kind of reward/temporary boost of good feeling, and if you're feeling stressed it can help (or seem to, in the moment). Same of course with alcohol/tobacco/etc. Unrealistic, but if people in general had less stress in their lives and easier access (or access at all) to mental health professionals they might not feel as much of a need to get their fix.
    which is another reason I suggest exercise first

Exercise provides the same temporary boost.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Seriously, did Texas just ban negative teaching of the KKK? I'm also hearing that other historically progressive events (particularly minority and female led) are being expunged from the curriculum.

All this outrage about critical race theory is just a smoke screen to re-establish the white supremacist educational framework.

When minorities were talking about how damaging the Trump Presidency was, a lot of people simply didn't get it. Trump's rhetoric has allowed white supremacy and general bigotry into mainstream discourse. And the U.S being what it is, a lot of white people simply default to bigotry when all arguments fail. The simple truth is the extreme right-wing aspect of the GOP has taken over and they can barely contain their hatred. It didn't start with Trump but he sure as heck mainstreamed it.

From the KKK to Jim Crow to segregation to this bullshit and anti- trans laws, our so called conservative brothers and sisters need to ask themselves why they derive joy in others people's misery. Particularly when these other people present no realistic threat to you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Seriously, did Texas just ban negative teaching of the KKK? I'm also hearing that other historically progressive events (particularly minority and female led) are being expunged from the curriculum.

All this outrage about critical race theory is just a smoke screen to re-establish the white supremacist educational framework.

When minorities were talking about how damaging the Trump Presidency was, a lot of people simply didn't get it. Trump's rhetoric has allowed white supremacy and general bigotry into mainstream discourse. And the U.S being what it is, a lot of white people simply default to bigotry when all arguments fail. The simple truth is the extreme right-wing aspect of the GOP has taken over and they can barely contain their hatred. It didn't start with Trump but he sure as heck mainstreamed it.

From the KKK to Jim Crow to segregation to this bullshit and anti- trans laws, our so called conservative brothers and sisters need to ask themselves why they derive joy in others people's misery. Particularly when these other people present no realistic threat to you.
    I don't think those "brothers and sisters" really care, because it requires some level of introspection about their supposedly great country. They claim to hate big government yet ignore all the negative effects of actual big government on minorities.

I know it's a different country, but look at how the events in Canada disrupt the false pretense of a "benevolent history". The USA is full of terrible things like that. Even the declaration of Independence is. But regressive people don't like introspection. I'm not trying to belittle anyone but their actions speak for themselves

I honestly can't tell if they did or if social media is exaggerating what is going on.

The fact this idiots think CRT is being taught in primary school is just...

You can't fix stupid nad there is too much stupid in this world.

I bet a good percentage don't even know what the words are that CRT stand for lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-klan-n1274610

Technically, they didn't ban teaching the negative history of the Klan, but said that classes were no longer required to use certain curriculum that taught it ( and certain other civil rights movements ). But yeah, this is part of the hysteria over "Critical Race Theory" and most people can't even tell you what it is and why it's bad. They think it's about teaching kids that white people are evil or something. Unfortunately, it's working. Similar laws are being passing in several states. That and voting restrictions ( under the guise of "protecting voting integrity" ) show the power of propaganda.

Yet, to hear some people tell it, the real threat to free speech is celebrities getting criticized on Twitter...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

Technically, they didn't ban teaching the negative history of the Klan, but said that classes were no longer required to use certain curriculum that taught it ( and certain other civil rights movements ). But yeah, this is part of the hysteria over "Critical Race Theory" and most people can't even tell you what it is and why it's bad. They think it's about teaching kids that white people are evil or something. Unfortunately, it's working. Similar laws are being passing in several states. That and voting restrictions ( under the guise of "protecting voting integrity" ) show the power of propaganda.

Yet, to hear some people tell it, the real threat to free speech is celebrities getting criticized on Twitter...
    Exactly.

They complain about "censorship" when states are passing actual laws that directly and indirectly target minority communities. They keep acting the victim when they actually have political power.

It's totally ridiculous.

Invincible Member

This might be a little long for some folks, but I think it's interesting. And while I certaainly wouldn't place all the blame at the feet of one person, Chris Rufo has in fact boasted about how he purposely conflates CRT with any policy or idea he doesn't like in an effort to confuse folks and hurt progressive movements.

Invincible Member

Joy Reid tried to call this guy out, but I doubt it'll have much impact

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I honestly can't tell if they did or if social media is exaggerating what is going on.

The fact this idiots think CRT is being taught in primary school is just...

You can't fix stupid nad there is too much stupid in this world.

I bet a good percentage don't even know what the words are that CRT stand for lol
    It kills me when I see people say words to this effect. I'm like, "Wait, we just went through a whole year of kids being taught at home. You didn't see any CRT being taught then did you? How can you claim it's infecting the schools?"

BANNED

At the end of the day, people's material interests will always trump whatever values they claim to profess. The wealth of white America was built on exploitation and can only be maintained by continuing the same system of oppression that built it. Of course, nobody likes being reminded of this fact, so they need to create this alternative narrative that the country's prosperity is actually a product of a superior value system and rugged individualists pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, which is a comforting lie, although it is increasingly hard to believe given the overwhelming historical evidence to the contrary.

This push by the GOP to whitewash American history will inevitably fail, with modern information technology it's just impossible to suppress the truth forever. However, by putting all inconvenient historical facts under the banner of "critical race theory," they can effectively discredit the evidence just enough for the average middle American suburbanite to not think about it too much and continue on living their lives free of any guilt by association. And on some level, that's understandable, I'm sure most of these people don't do anything overtly racist and just think of themselves as doing their best to support their family and survive in a complex world, but of course there are hard working people trying to do the same everywhere else on the planet too, and the fact that their living conditions fall so short of what we take for granted in America just goes to show you how much wealth a country can accumulate through centuries of imperialist plunder.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post

which is another reason I suggest exercise first

Exercise provides the same temporary boost.
    After the sugar/fat fix, there is always after a period when you feel a bit down: you don’t have anymore the “good feeling” crutch… and you feel bad about yourself because you know what you did was not good for you, was unnecessary and won’t help you in the long run. And unless you took your time to relish it, it was swallowed too quick…

So I agree: doing sport is good for your mind and has a lasting and positive effect about how you feel about yourself. I’m always happy to have my sport training and sad when it is cancelled because of the weather.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

Apparently, others' free speech is a threat to free speech. Yet they can't extrapolate that to hate speech.