Page 658 of 663 FirstFirst ... 158558608648654655656657658659660661662 ... LastLast
Results 9,856 to 9,870 of 9933
  1. #9856
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,398

    Default

    Alice Sebold apologizes to Anthony Broadwater.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ony-broadwater

  2. #9857
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Alice Sebold apologizes to Anthony Broadwater.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ony-broadwater
    Did she do anything to help exonerate him during the process or did she just try to profit on the story and then wait til it was done and go "oops sorry cops bad"
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  3. #9858
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Did she do anything to help exonerate him during the process or did she just try to profit on the story and then wait til it was done and go "oops sorry cops bad"
    The case was overturned because of junk science, it doesn't look like she did anything. Her book based on the assault was going to get turned into a movie, but it was scrapped after the overturning.

  4. #9859
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Did she do anything to help exonerate him during the process or did she just try to profit on the story and then wait til it was done and go "oops sorry cops bad"
    Reading the whole story, Alice Sebold played a big part in Mr Broadwater's sentencing.

    She allowed herself to be a "tool" for the police to send an innocent man to jail. She never properly identified him.

    Yeah, she deserves flak for this.

  5. #9860
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The case was overturned because of junk science, it doesn't look like she did anything. Her book based on the assault was going to get turned into a movie, but it was scrapped after the overturning.
    Most forensic science ( with the notable exception of DNA matching) is junk science. Fingerprints and all of it.

    It's terrifying to think about given how many convictions were and are based on this guff.

  6. #9861
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,071

    Default

    Black couple selling home got higher valuation when they asked white friend to pretend it was theirs
    California couple claims racial bias after their home gets undervalued by nearly $500,000

    By Sravasti Dasgupta

    A Black couple in California has sued a real estate firm alleging their home was undervalued by nearly $500,000 (377,877) because of their race.

    Paul and Tenisha Austin, residents of Marin County near San Francisco , alleged in a lawsuit that their real estate appraiser Janette Miller, her company Miller and Perotti Real Estate Appraisals and national appraisal company AMC Links LLC, through which Ms Miller was contacted, racially discriminated against the couple while valuing their house....

    ....The couple then asked a white friend to pose as the house owner and erased all evidence of their racial identity and replaced it with artwork and photographs of their friend’s family....

    “We had a conversation with one of our white friends, and she said. ‘No problem. I’ll be Tenisha. I’ll bring over some pictures of my family’.....

    The couple’s legal complaint said that when a different appraiser came and inspected the Austins’ home, the appraiser arrived at a value of $1,482,500 (1,120,391), a nearly 50 per cent increase in the home’s value.
    If the Government would give Civil Rights agencies the funds they could make busts similar to this every damn week.

    @#$& like this is rampant. To the point that it's almost a rite of passage of Black folk who try to buy houses or even rent apartments.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 12-07-2021 at 11:42 PM.

  7. #9862
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    If the Government would give Civil Rights agencies the funds they could make busts similar to this every damn week.

    @#$& like this is rampant. To the point that it's almost a rite of passage of Black folk who try to buy houses or even rent apartments.


    I never knew if I just got a shitty loan officer or not but....

    Went to bank with my wife to talk about buying a house and what loan we could get. She basically said there is no way we could afford to buy any house due to our debt (student loans). So that was depressing. And very confusing... we had no consumer debt at all (no cars, no credit cards, nothing). Just student loans. Excellent credit scores. Left feeling like "how the hell does anyone my age buy a house then?"

    My wife just by chance went to another bank loan lady by herself (my wife is white). We could get up to a 200K loan... just based on my wife's information. Leaving me totally out of it. She is a teacher, I made much more than her. I didn't meet the bank lady until closing day.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  8. #9863
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    If the Government would give Civil Rights agencies the funds they could make busts similar to this every damn week.

    @#$& like this is rampant. To the point that it's almost a rite of passage of Black folk who try to buy houses or even rent apartments.
    "But, but...there is no systemic racism! We had a black president!"

  9. #9864
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "But, but...there is no systemic racism! We had a black president!"
    That actually reminds me of when I was in college, I overheard these two girls talking about how "racism is so old, why can't people just get over it?"

    I thought to myself, "Racism is an idea that's as old as humanity, it doesn't just 'go away'."

  10. #9865
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "But, but...there is no systemic racism! We had a black president!"
    We need a like button here!

  11. #9866
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    That actually reminds me of when I was in college, I overheard these two girls talking about how "racism is so old, why can't people just get over it?"

    I thought to myself, "Racism is an idea that's as old as humanity, it doesn't just 'go away'."
    my SIL posted on FB a long time ago that, "racism ended with slavery, why hasn't the US gotten over it"

    That was even rough for Indiana lol.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  12. #9867
    New old guy Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    If the Government would give Civil Rights agencies the funds they could make busts similar to this every damn week.

    @#$& like this is rampant. To the point that it's almost a rite of passage of Black folk who try to buy houses or even rent apartments.
    One of the most damaging functions of this white supremacist system, has been the amount of land stolen from African Americans going back to the Civil War. There many historical sites akin to what happened to the citizens of the Tulsa massacre in many places in the United States. A sizeble portion of Central Park in New York once was part of a community of Black citizens before they were thrown out by the city. African AmericanGI's coming back from WW2 were not afforded the same access to home loans and they dealt with the initial wave of red-lining.

    Black reclamation of land is going to be one of the biggest fights ever taken on. Just think, these institutional practices like what this couple went through have been in play for decades. One thing that can be in Black folks favor nowadays, it can be easier to find and utilize an ally/ringer on our behalf to game the system more towards the side of equality.


    A California court just returned real estate it took from a Black family in 1924. It could be the beginning of a wave of redistribution.

    The Bruce family is getting their land back. It's the first time Black Americans have successfully reclaimed land that the government took from them, raising hopes for families like them who have lost their homes throughout US
    https://www.npr.org/2021/09/30/10418...om-los-angeles
    Even the gentrifiers that make these offers to buy homes in what was historically neighborhoods of color are fuckin relentless in their solicitations. God knows how many grandkids who cashed out Big Mommas house and didn't get close to fmv for the property.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

  13. #9868
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,260

    Default

    There is just not a lot of generational wealth period in the black community and not having a house (or not having a house in a "good" neighborhood) is one of the many reasons.

    People hear "generational wealth" and think like the Walton's or Trumps and shit but really, it can be as simple as being able to ask a parent to pay an unexpected cable bill without going into debt. Once you get in that debt cycle, it is HARD to claw your way out, especially if it is credit cards.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  14. #9869
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    There is just not a lot of generational wealth period in the black community and not having a house (or not having a house in a "good" neighborhood) is one of the many reasons.

    People hear "generational wealth" and think like the Walton's or Trumps and shit but really, it can be as simple as being able to ask a parent to pay an unexpected cable bill without going into debt. Once you get in that debt cycle, it is HARD to claw your way out, especially if it is credit cards.
    I had credit card debt years ago. I paid it off and I told myself I was never going to get another one ever again. I don't trust myself.

  15. #9870
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I never knew if I just got a shitty loan officer or not but....

    Went to bank with my wife to talk about buying a house and what loan we could get. She basically said there is no way we could afford to buy any house due to our debt (student loans). So that was depressing. And very confusing... we had no consumer debt at all (no cars, no credit cards, nothing). Just student loans. Excellent credit scores. Left feeling like "how the hell does anyone my age buy a house then?"

    My wife just by chance went to another bank loan lady by herself (my wife is white). We could get up to a 200K loan... just based on my wife's information. Leaving me totally out of it. She is a teacher, I made much more than her. I didn't meet the bank lady until closing day.
    You got a SHARK with that first one. You were NOT someone they could abuse or get into deeper debt because all you had was student loans.

    I want to say on the (Late) Russ Martin show-his friend that does house loans and that stuff told him that one of the things that can hurt your credit and getting stuff is having stuff like credit cards paid off and even inactive.


    And with your wife being a teacher and probably a first time homebuyer-she probably got perks for it. I am not a teacher but work in education-we get perks and discounts on stuff including NONSTOP e-mails about buying a house.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •