Page 632 of 826 FirstFirst ... 132532582622628629630631632633634635636642682732 ... LastLast
Results 9,466 to 9,480 of 12382
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The pandemic has almost completely exposed and to some extent broken American capitalism.

Millions of people across the country (and in Canada too) have simply refused to go back to lower wage jobs. It's a problem without an immediate solution and things might even get worse (at least in Canada as the government has raised the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour which is well above what some jobs are paying currently). Why work and be poor when you can NOT work and still be poor??

A generation of people have been taught that if you get serious, get a job and work hard things will be alright. Things have changed unfortunately and with government policies over decades skewed towards helping business owners and not the workers, costs have gone up while wages have remained relatively stagnant. People are now waking up to the fact that some jobs are simply not worth it and government aid is simply better.
    That's just propaganda they tell people to convince them to work for low wages. Only due to the history of exploitation, bigotry and corporate crime, it's never been true

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

The point here is that it was inappropriate and just very, very tacky to bring in your personal anti-Bendis hate into a discussion about the frustrations of those screaming anti-queer rhetoric at the slightest hint of queer representation, as well as those who unethically stoke and then profit off of such screams.
    And what is your metric for “hate”, exactly? Cause all I did was mention the dude having had put readers off with his writing habits before.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 10-18-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    One thing about your conversation with him that's frustrating (I mean, it's all frustrating, but roll with me here) is this insistence of "Superman is gay". Because bi doesn't exist...
    He is a very homophopic guy. There is no middle group you are gay or not. For years I identified as gay. And now I found a woman that I really like and am compatible with. We have known each other a couple years but just started seeing each other romantically for a little over a month. This is a very confusing time for me to say the least. I am wondering if maybe I am bi. Of course he is not having any part of it. I am a flat out queer gut who is trying to cover my pervert life style with this poor woman. She is very much aware that I identified as gay.

So any one who says they are bi is flat out gay and trying to hide it. And there is no such thing as a bi woman. They are just seeking attention from men by claiming they are into women. And he is very very upset at how gays have taken over tv and culture and it should just not be allowed in any form. The Superman being bi is a way for the far left to brain wash our kids and try and get them to change their sexual identity.

Needless to say I have very little to do with him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The pandemic has almost completely exposed and to some extent broken American capitalism.

Millions of people across the country (and in Canada too) have simply refused to go back to lower wage jobs. It's a problem without an immediate solution and things might even get worse (at least in Canada as the government has raised the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour which is well above what some jobs are paying currently). Why work and be poor when you can NOT work and still be poor??

A generation of people have been taught that if you get serious, get a job and work hard things will be alright. Things have changed unfortunately and with government policies over decades skewed towards helping business owners and not the workers, costs have gone up while wages have remained relatively stagnant. People are now waking up to the fact that some jobs are simply not worth it and government aid is simply better.
    It's gotta be more than that though? It is remarkably fast how, and keep in mind in large part we're still in pandemic levels of things, that compensation by way of wages has came around without missing a beat. Employers have been doing more things with less people pretty tough for years now, what you want to be in America is a shareholder. I got a nice bump but like I told my co-workers, these muthafks owed us much of this. The rest they just don't wanna keep losing folks and I'm in Healthcare.

I've noticed most of the shortages have been in the food service industry. These fast food restaurants have been closing at 7, 8 at night here in Indy. My thing is, whatever the government is paying, and I'm not even convinced that's what's making to much of the difference, WILL STOP AT SOME POINT. Then what? Seem like there are many moving into other industries but they're still working. I work at a hospital and there were some dropouts because of the vaccine mandates but nothing like you would think. Specially since they required flu vaccine anydamnway.

Ahmaud Arbery murder trial starts today.

Three white men are accused of murdering Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year old Black man who was shot and killed as he was jogging down a residential street on Feb. 23, 2020, after being chased by pickup trucks.

Judge, jury and executioner

At trial, Travis McMichael, 35, Gregory McMichael, 65, and another neighbor, William Bryan, 52, will face state charges including murder, false imprisonment and aggravated assault. They've separately been charged with federal hate crimes. That trial is scheduled for February 2022.

Arbery's shooting has drawn intense national scrutiny, happening around the same time that racial justice protests were erupting in response to police killings.

There were serious questions about how Glynn County officials originally handled the case. Nothing happened until cellphone video of the killing, recorded by defendant Bryan, was released months later.

The former district attorney, Jackie Johnson, now faces charges that she tried to shield the McMichaels from prosecution. The elder McMichael had worked as an investigator in the DA's office and was a former police officer. His son had been in the Coast Guard. Several judges and prosecutors recused themselves from the case. Superior Court Judge Timothy Wamsley from Savannah will preside over the trial.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

the pandemic and the supply chain issues in California has exposed and shown how Americans consumed things that are kind of unnecessary. Vic. President Kamala Harris stated that the supply issues in California will cause a shortage of toys this christmas. Toys are a luxury and is something totally unnecessary. The manufacturing of toys and other unnecessary things like physical books contribute to global warming and climate change. According to NASA since the start of the industrial revolution the Earth has been living outside of the natural cycle which is called the Milankovitch Orbital Cycles. Cycles play a key role in short term and long term climate. So if things like elimating the manufacturing of physical toys, books, can help the climate then people should do it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [Font=georgia]It's gotta be more than that though? It is remarkably fast how, and keep in mind in large part we're still in pandemic levels of things, that compensation by way of wages has came around without missing a beat. Employers have been doing more things with less people pretty tough for years now, what you want to be in America is a shareholder. I got a nice bump but like I told my co-workers, these muthafks owed us much of this. The rest they just don't wanna keep losing folks and I'm in Healthcare.
    The Taco Bell down the street was not taking orders for an hour because they were short staff.

Even a Waffle House near my school was closed and they never closed-even after 6 robberies. The Burger King next to it is NEVER open in the morning.

I've noticed most of the shortages have been in the food service industry. These fast food restaurants have been closing at 7, 8 at night here in Indy. My thing is, whatever the government is paying, and I'm not even convinced that's what's making to much of the difference, WILL STOP AT SOME POINT. Then what? Seem like there are many moving into other industries but they're still working. I work at a hospital and there were some dropouts because of the vaccine mandates but nothing like you would think. Specially since they required flu vaccine anydamnway.
    It's not so much about the money it REALLY does not make a difference. It's about what ELSE you can get.

Like free cellphones-yes I have seen homeless folks with cellphones.
    Free internet services be it the public library or school districts.
    Free food. I know a place down the street from me that does FREE food every Thursday. My church does it too but not as often.
    Last Thanksgiving-I got a free fresh turkey from a church giving them away.

Heck there is a black owned book store down the street from me that has a fridge filled with food for anyone to take.

If you take advantage of all that you can make that money last (as little of it as it is).

Lets not forget how many of these folks are on Tik Toc? How many of them making extra money off of that? Not counting those who are doing "ADULT" stuff. Who know walking around in your boxers can get you a monthly check that a school clerk makes.

Invincible Member

It's gotta be more than that though? It is remarkably fast how, and keep in mind in large part we're still in pandemic levels of things, that compensation by way of wages has came around without missing a beat. Employers have been doing more things with less people pretty tough for years now, what you want to be in America is a shareholder. I got a nice bump but like I told my co-workers, these muthafks owed us much of this. The rest they just don't wanna keep losing folks and I'm in Healthcare.

Ahmaud Arbery murder trial starts today.
    They're not at the actual trial yet. They just started picking the jury. They're going through 600 people and have another 600 as back up in case they can't find 12 suitable people out of the first batch. It might take a couple of weeks just to do that. They didn't get a change of venue, so both sides are being extra careful about finding non-partial jury members who haven't already made up their minds over such a public case.

So, uh, Mel Gibson is going to be in that John Wick prequel show.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/mel-gib...es-1234857540/

It isn't the unemployment bump from the Feds. We (FL) ended that a long ass time ago and it has made zero difference in the staffing issues here.

I think it is just a combination of a lot of stuff hitting at the same time.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Racism is baked into society.

The truth is, a lot of folks have said racist stuff and they still come back from it.

To the Mel Gibson point, racism doesn't get folks permanently cancelled. It just doesn't. From Morgan Wallen to Camilla Cabello, a lot of celebrities have said racist stuff and they apologize and truck along.

Anyone that thinks that black people actually have a "seat on the table" in the US is fooling themselves and pretty badly I might say (which is at the core of Dave Chapelle's and Chris Rock's comedy).

Seriously, a black Louisana police officer was sacked because he was challenging his department because a black man was killed in their custody and it was covered up. A Judge in Tennessee is sending black children AS YOUNG AS 9 YEARS OLD to prison. https://wgno.com/news/crime/tennesse...ort-says/..how many cases like these are still happening under the radar?

Point is, racism is still a very powerful part of American society. More and more people need to call it out when they say it but the fact is they rarely do.

Racism is baked into society.

The truth is, a lot of folks have said racist stuff and they still come back from it.

To the Mel Gibson point, racism doesn't get folks permanently cancelled. It just doesn't. From Morgan Wallen to Camilla Cabello, a lot of celebrities have said racist stuff and they apologize and truck along.

Anyone that thinks that black people actually have a "seat on the table" in the US is fooling themselves and pretty badly I might say (which is at the core of Dave Chapelle's and Chris Rock's comedy).

Seriously, a black Louisana police officer was sacked because he was challenging his department because a black man was killed in their custody and it was covered up. A Judge in Tennessee is sending black children AS YOUNG AS 9 YEARS OLD to prison. https://wgno.com/news/crime/tennesse...ort-says/..how many cases like these are still happening under the radar?

Point is, racism is still a very powerful part of American society. More and more people need to call it out when they say it but the fact is they rarely do.
    Part of the problem is distance. We think that slavery and the civil rights era were a loonnngg time ago when they weren't.

Thomas Jefferson was still alive when Harriet Tubman was born
    She was born in 1822, Jefferson died in 1826, on July 4th, ironic, I guess. She died in 1913, my grandma was born in 1940.

A lot of people also think that racism ended when Obama got elected, when it didn't.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Part of the problem is distance. We think that slavery and the civil rights era were a loonnngg time ago when they weren't.

Thomas Jefferson was still alive when Harriet Tubman was born
    She was born in 1822, Jefferson died in 1826, on July 4th, ironic, I guess. She died in 1913, my grandma was born in 1940.

A lot of people also think that racism ended when Obama got elected, when it didn't.
    Exactly.

You'd be shocked at how many people say "racism isn't a thing because Obama got elected".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It isn't the unemployment bump from the Feds. We (FL) ended that a long ass time ago and it has made zero difference in the staffing issues here.

I think it is just a combination of a lot of stuff hitting at the same time.
    My suspicion is that front facing service employees have in many cases finally had enough.

Especially those in non unionized jobs. They have seen that Unionized McDonald's and Amazon employees had to strike to get raises to 15 an hour. And they don't even have tha option to Unionize.

More was being asked of them and most weren't getting jack in return.

So when the stimulus checks and the unemployment bonus kicked in it maybe gave enough people enough of a cushion to maybe try another career path or even self employment.

They have no reason to want to go back to the status quo.

The middle to upper echelon office workers have been working from home just fine for over a year and see no reason to return to the office just so that Management can physically see them at work. So many of them are looking for jobs that will not require that now.

They don't want to return to the status quo either.

The system was never set up for mass amounts of people saying "Screw this B.S., I'm done.".

Hence the media panic about "Christmas could be Ruined!" in freaking October.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 10-19-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

Exactly.

You'd be shocked at how many people say "racism isn't a thing because Obama got elected".
    Ugh, that's such an idiotic take. Just look at how police treat non-White people in the USA alone, both in over policing and under protecting. Then ask them 'is racism still not a thing anymore?'

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    My suspicion is that front facing service employees have in many cases finally had enough.

Especially those in unionized jobs. They have seen that McDonald's and Amazon employees had to strike to get raises to 15 an hour. And they don't even have that option.
    We don't have those here in Texas. Unions are banned.

It took way too many folks walking out of education for the state to ORDER school districts to increase everyone's salary. And this was before the Pandemic.

Because way too many teachers had 2-3 jobs. We won't talk about school clerks working like slaves and could make twice the amount at Wal-Mart.

Same with nurses and diagnosticians. Diagnosticians could make up to 3 figures in private practice.

We WON'T talk about insurance. $1,000 a month for insurance just for ME was where I would be NOW if they hadn't gotten new plans. Heck there are folks paying $2000 a month and they barley go to the doctor or have serious if any medical conditions.