Page 358 of 827 FirstFirst ... 258308348354355356357358359360361362368408458 ... LastLast
Results 5,356 to 5,370 of 12395
    Invincible Member

Sly Stone

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’m concerned about the long term viability of many of the minority characters that have been created recently. I’m concerned that not enough energy has been put into creating compelling and interesting supporting casts and villains around them. I’m of the conviction that an interesting hero can make for an interesting story here or there, but it’s really interesting villains and supporting casts that make ongoing franchises. It’s why Batman and Spider-Man are the most popular Superheroes by far with Superman coming in third. Some heroes seem to temporarily jump up into that echelon, but their stay their only seems to be as long as the influence of their movie ( or other media appearances) is present.

I’m also concerned that it might be to late for some of them. I’ve noticed that their tends to be a ten year rule with many superheroes. Anything added to the franchise within the first ten years of the characters creation have a good chance of actually sticking around, but after that it becomes real difficult to add anything that has any staying power. You might get one or two elements every decade afterwards. It’s like cement. When the cement is wet you can still manipulate it to a degree, but once it hardens changing it becomes difficult.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’m concerned about the long term viability of many of the minority characters that have been created recently. I’m concerned that not enough energy has been put into creating compelling and interesting supporting casts and villains around them. I’m of the conviction that an interesting hero can make for an interesting story here or there, but it’s really interesting villains and supporting casts that make ongoing franchises. It’s why Batman and Spider-Man are the most popular Superheroes by far with Superman coming in third. Some heroes seem to temporarily jump up into that echelon, but their stay their only seems to be as long as the influence of their movie ( or other media appearances) is present.

I’m also concerned that it might be to late for some of them. I’ve noticed that their tends to be a ten year rule with many superheroes. Anything added to the franchise within the first ten years of the characters creation have a good chance of actually sticking around, but after that it becomes real difficult to add anything that has any staying power. You might get one or two elements every decade afterwards. It’s like cement. When the cement is wet you can still manipulate it to a degree, but once it hardens changing it becomes difficult.
    I think part of the appeal with Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man is that they are also the most timeless. They embody ideas that are primal and that will likely always be relevant to us in one way or another.

I can see Kamala Khan reaching Peter Parker-level popularity in the long run and with more exposure. She was an instant hit (with people immediately calling her the 21st century Spider-Man), and has the appeal of being the polar opposite of Spider-Man. We were discussing in the Kamala Khan Appreciation Thread a while back how Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel deal with a lot of the same issues but have opposite personalities. Peter becomes more chaotic and jokey as Spider-Man while Kamala acts more orderly and leader-like as Ms. Marvel. A character like that is likely to stick around because they genuinely offer a different perspective. Sure, her villains could be a bit better, but Superman and Batman didn't have strong villains from the start either (most of Batman's villains only became iconic during the Silver Age).

I also see Miles Morales sticking around for a while if for no other reason than his milestones. His success lead to Marvel taking more risks, starred in the first superhero film to win an Oscar for Best Animated Film, and challenged the notion that Spider-Man has to be white. He will also be part of a successful video game franchise and animated film franchise that will continue for a few more years.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-14-2020 at 12:46 PM.

How Marvel’s Pandemic Publishing Plan Disproportionately Punished Minority Writers

https://www.xavierfiles.com/2020/07/...ority-writers/

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I think part of the appeal with Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man is that they are also the most timeless. They embody ideas that are primal and that will likely always be relevant to us in one way or another.

I can see Kamala Khan reaching Peter Parker-level popularity in the long run and with more exposure. She was an instant hit (with people immediately calling her the 21st century Spider-Man), and has the appeal of being the polar opposite of Spider-Man. We were discussing in the Kamala Khan Appreciation Thread a while back how Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel deal with a lot of the same issues but have opposite personalities. Peter becomes more chaotic and jokey as Spider-Man while Kamala acts more orderly and leader-like as Ms. Marvel. A character like that is likely to stick around because they genuinely offer a different perspective. Sure, her villains could be a bit better, but Superman and Batman didn't have strong villains from the start either (most of Batman's villains only became iconic during the Silver Age).

I also see Miles Morales sticking around for a while if for no other reason than his milestones. His success lead to Marvel taking more risks, starred in the first superhero film to win an Oscar for Best Animated Film, and challenged the notion that Spider-Man has to be white. He will also be part of a successful video game franchise and animated film franchise that will continue for a few more years.
    The difference between Between Spiderman, and Miss Marvel is that there was a concerted effert to grow Spiderman as a franchise rather then a just a character early on. Most of Spiderman's major villains and suppoting cast showed up within 10 years of his creation. Kamala feels more like Black Panther in that regard, an interesting character that got relegated to supporting character over time because not much was built around him when he was first created. Only recently have people returned to Black Panther and finally started to fleshout his mythos. Miss Marvel is a prime example of what i'm talking about. We know from history that these pushes for diversity can be kind of cyclical. Characters with out significant mythos attached to them are far easier to throw to the waist side when tastes change. Even popular characters like Ironman have popularity that ebs and flows, because their rogue's gallery and supporting cast isn't the best. You can only go so far on the strength of the main character alone.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-14-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What is Desean Jackson doing???

Why are other athletes liking/defending him?

Sigh

Bad part of having athletes promote a movement is that a lot of athletes are idiots. They are just rich idiots who are good at sports but still idiots.
    And now Nick Cannon is voicing those opinions

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What is Desean Jackson doing???

Why are other athletes liking/defending him?

Sigh

Bad part of having athletes promote a movement is that a lot of athletes are idiots. They are just rich idiots who are good at sports but still idiots.
    Because behind closed doors some of them feel the same.

Because that is the nonsense they are taught.

Because fake woke culture feeds them nonsense.

And I know some NFL players are saying education is better than cancelling.

The Holocaust is discussed a LOT in the schools. It's part of history. It's on state tests. Not to mention all the movies like the Hiding Place.

Maybe should cancelling and some hurting of pay checks will get some of these guys to shut up and play ball. ESPECIALLY Lebron.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    The thing is a lot of these guys don't realize WHO owns those networks, stations and everything.

Since we don't understand what ownership is really about. Along with distribution.

Nick is just lucky to be removed from Wild N Out.

He got a talk show coming and no station is obligated to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    A few years ago, Nick Cannon said, "We won't vote until Black Lives Matter." All I could think then was, Black Lives will never matter if you don't vote.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Rest in peace, Naya Rivera.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    A few years ago, Nick Cannon said, "We won't vote until Black Lives Matter." All I could think then was, Black Lives will never matter if you don't vote.
    Quoted for simple truth.

Invincible Member

What will be interesting to see is how many edge-lords and free speech warriors...these guys who cry about "cancel culture" and "there's no such thing as hate speech" and why are we de-platforming people...how many of them are going to cape for Nick Cannon? Or is race-baiting only a 1st Amendment right when certain people do it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What will be interesting to see is how many edge-lords and free speech warriors...these guys who cry about "cancel culture" and "there's no such thing as hate speech" and why are we de-platforming people...how many of them are going to cape for Nick Cannon? Or is race-baiting only a 1st Amendment right when certain people do it?
    The guys screaming about cancel culture are being extremely hypocritical. Why? Because it's nothing new at all and in years past has been driven by more conservative elements of society.

Just going back a few years, Janet Jackson was more or less cancelled after the superbowl fiasco, Sinead O'Connor was cancelled for tearing a picture of the pope, The Dixie Chicks were cancelled so hard that their songs tumbled down the charts and even Colin Kapernick was all but cancelled for kneeling down during the national anthem. All of this spear headed by "conservative outrage". Going further back, actors and film makers were cancelled for being labelled "communist" and comic book creators (like the EC guys) were treated like weirdos and more or less cancelled back then for producing stuff that seemed to promote "juvenile delinquency" (it must also be noted that those comics were quite progressive for the time).

The difference is now is that some dickheads try to hide behind "free speech" to say and in some cases actually do all sort of nonsense to escape consequences. Basically, the "cancellers" are now the victims of a culture that they helped perpetuate. That's not to say i support people being cancelled (it really depends on the circumstances) but a lot of guys crying about cancel culture are the worst sort of hypocrites and probably won't even defend Cannon because he's a black man and doesn't identify as a conservative.

All this being said, Nick Cannon has a rich history of saying dumb ****. People need to understand that dumb decisions have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’m concerned about the long term viability of many of the minority characters that have been created recently.
    I'm more worried about the established ones.

Like hell, the "effort" put into comic Black Panther is really thin if you look at it for more than 30 seconds.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The guys screaming about cancel culture are being extremely hypocritical. Why? Because it's nothing new at all and in years past has been driven by more conservative elements of society.

Just going back a few years, Janet Jackson was more or less cancelled after the superbowl fiasco, Sinead O'Connor was cancelled for tearing a picture of the pope, The Dixie Chicks were cancelled so hard that their songs tumbled down the charts and even Colin Kapernick was all but cancelled for kneeling down during the national anthem. All of this spear headed by "conservative outrage". Going further back, actors and film makers were cancelled for being labelled "communist" and comic book creators (like the EC guys) were treated like weirdos and more or less cancelled back then for producing stuff that seemed to promote "juvenile delinquency" (it must also be noted that those comics were quite progressive for the time).

The difference is now is that some dickheads try to hide behind "free speech" to say and in some cases actually do all sort of nonsense to escape consequences. Basically, the "cancellers" are now the victims of a culture that they helped perpetuate. That's not to say i support people being cancelled (it really depends on the circumstances) but a lot of guys crying about cancel culture are the worst sort of hypocrites and probably won't even defend Cannon because he's a black man and doesn't identify as a conservative.

All this being said, Nick Cannon has a rich history of saying dumb ****. People need to understand that dumb decisions have consequences.
    100%. Let's see how many of the so-called intellectual dark web are going to side with Canon. Or are they just going to wait until the next time someone wants to talk about black people's skull sizes or make jokes about LGBT persons...