Page 610 of 827 FirstFirst ... 110510560600606607608609610611612613614620660710 ... LastLast
Results 9,136 to 9,150 of 12396

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mean, they bent Mimir, an aesir norse god, into this celtic/ireland accent dude, and no one gave a single flying **** about it.

Not to mention changing Loki's dad into a Spartan lol.

I man... give me a game on some cool new African Mythology and they can racebend someone in the sequel all they want lol.

Hell, Send Kratos to Africa next and let the rampage continue lol
    Egypt was one of the other choices for the sequel series but they chose Norse instead. So if they do another saga they might finally do Egypt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Egypt was one of the other choices for the sequel series but they chose Norse instead. So if they do another saga they might finally do Egypt.
    Egypt has a bunch of war gods (in one aspect or another), so that hypothetical game could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Egypt has a bunch of war gods (in one aspect or another), so that hypothetical game could be interesting.
    He met some of the Egyptian pantheon in the comic
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Masters of the Universe has been re-releasing the 82 line since about...November of 2020 I believe. Its called colloquially the Origins line, even though the name Origins doesn't appear anywhere on the packaging. The idea is that its the original 82 toyline, if they were made today. Which means more articulation, but...minus some gimmicks (like with Orko).

They're released in Waves at a time. 1 wave = 4 figures plus any vehicles plus any deluxe figures like Battle Armor He-Man Battle Armor Skeletor. What they started doing though was releasing figures of characters that either take place before the Filmation series (like when it was called Lords of Power before they settled on Masters of the Universe), or after the series (like 200X Evil-Lyn) though I think New Adventures will be totally ignored.
    I guess she (the founder of Olmec) must have just sold the company and kept the rights on Sunman. Because I asked Dwayne McDuffie about Olemc making Milestone figures and he said it was sold to Hasbro as the founder went to work for President Clinton.

https://www.cnet.com/news/he-man-get...superhero-toy/

Eternia has a new Black hero. Sun-Man, a muscular action figure sold in the '80s that was born from the need for a diverse alternative to He-Man, will join Mattel's Masters of the Universe roster, giving a new generation of children the chance to pair up He-Man and Sun-Man in the battle against evil.

Mattel is first releasing a premium edition of the Sun-Man toy for $30, with pre-orders starting Monday. (on my birthday week!!)

Sun-Man was invented by another toy company, but his origin story has always had a connection to He-Man. The idea was the brainchild of a woman named Yla Eason, sparked in 1984 by her then 3-year-old son, who told her he didn't think he could be a superhero like He-Man because He-Man is white.

When she couldn't find a Black action figure hero in stores, she was driven to fill that void. Eason created Olmec Toys to produce multicultural superheroes for boys and girls, the first of which fall under the story of Sun-Man and the Rulers of the Sun. The characters all look like they can fit right into the He-Man universe of super buff, barely clad men. (Among Sun-Man's teammates were telekinetic ninja Space Sumo, futuristic scientist Holographo and numerical genus Digitino, all of whom fought against the enemy Pig-Head.) Eason eventually grew the company to $5 million in sales. She now teaches at Rutgers Business School in New Jersey.

I wonder will we see the Bronze Bombers from Mattel.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Never heard of Sun Man before. Is he in any comic runs?
    No, it was more grass roots.

"Sun-Man was invented by another toy company, but his origin story has always had a connection to He-Man. The idea was the brainchild of a woman named Yla Eason, sparked in 1984 by her then 3-year-old son, who told her he didn't think he could be a superhero like He-Man because He-Man is white.

When she couldn't find a Black action figure hero in stores, she was driven to fill that void. Eason created Olmec Toys to produce multicultural superheroes for boys and girls, the first of which fall under the story of Sun-Man and the Rulers of the Sun. The characters all look like they can fit right into the He-Man universe of super buff, barely clad men. (Among Sun-Man's teammates were telekinetic ninja Space Sumo, futuristic scientist Holographo and numerical genus Digitino, all of whom fought against the enemy Pig-Head.) Eason eventually grew the company to $5 million in sales. She now teaches at Rutgers Business School in New Jersey.
    "

Taken from the article, "He-Man Gets A New Partner".

Jinx I guess lol skyvolt2000 posted the link before I did.

Mighty Member

It is a game with its own canon.

Mimir is like celtic and says Lad every 3 words

Loki is the son of the greek god of war Kratos (who ascended) who killed all the greek pantheon and Lauffey

Balder was.... not mythological balder.

They took liberties, just like the Thor comics take liberties from the Nose Myths

but... enter a black chick and people get in a tizzy (and then will buy the game anyway like always).

Angrboda is basically Loki's wife

There kids were a wolfe, a serpent, and Hela lol
    By this logic, it would be awesome to have a Whiteman play a Zulu God. Yippie!!!

Next Tom Hanks as Nelson Mandela and pastry pale Robert Patterson as Malcolm X. And Cho Yun Fat as Dr
    King After all they already made a black chic play a real life White woman British Queen in Anne Boleyn tv series so it's only fair. We can just say it's a fantasy fiction universe. Given how things are moving now, it's only a matter of time.

Ironclad Hypocrisy incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    By this logic, it would be awesome to have a Whiteman play a Zulu God. Yippie!!!

Next Tom Hanks as Nelson Mandela and pastry pale Robert Patterson as Malcolm X. And Cho Yun Fat as Dr
    King After all they already made a black chic play a real life White woman British Queen in Anne Boleyn tv series so it's only fair. We can just say it's a fantasy fiction universe. Given how things are moving now, it's only a matter of time.

https://screenrant.com/worst-example...ashing-movies/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ng-photos/amp/

https://allthatsinteresting.com/whitewashed-movies

Hollywood has done whitewashing before and not just with anime.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-12-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    On the one hand: fantasy race (eg. the jotunn/elves/etc.) = wiggle room for interpretation, which is a completely fair statement.

On the other: I'd like to see a "Heimdall" pulled where a light-skinned person of Latin, Asian, or European descent (just ONE, while everyone else is more ethnically accurate, unlike with that Gods of Egypt film) be portrayed as a named deity and side character in a sub-saharan African mythology, just to see if those same people preaching about the former abandon all intellectual honesty and scream "foul".
    Agreed and co-signed!

Anyone of any race can play fantasy creatures that's fine.

Hollywood is now racebending real life real world non fictional people.

I also desperately await.... "just to see if those same people preaching about the former abandon all intellectual honesty and scream "foul".…. when our black culture and black people also get racebent.

Mighty Member

Yes, they have been doing it but 2 wrongs does not equal right.... Just because whitewashing was done does NOT mean blackwashing should ALSO been done. It just makes us complicit in the same mentality we claim to be against.

Ultimate Member

How is anyone in 2021 still arguing changing a non-White character is as bad as changing a White one? Diversity isn't a "both sides" thing

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

“Do they also have blue Dwarves in Norse mythology?” writer and story lead Matt Sophos asked one troll. “Was Loki the son of a Greek demigod? Please show me in the Eddas where it says that all Jötunn were lily white? Let me save you the time… you can’t. I’ve read them.”

The troll wasn’t having it. They catapulted themselves into the future to posit that God of War‘s eventual Egyptian series won’t have white mythological characters to avoid double standards.

“You do know Jötunn aren’t real right?” Sophos continued. “They can be anyone or anything? Some are even giant serpents? But I get it. You were only okay with Jörmungandr because his scales were white, right? Well, good luck to you. Hope you can find a game that better fits your sensibilities.”

Angrboda isn't even an Aesir or Vanir. She's a damn jotuns who's kids ended up being beasts. This isn't even analogous to black heimdell.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How is anyone in 2021 still arguing changing a non-White character is as bad as changing a White one? Diversity isn't a "both sides" thing
    Yes, I grasp the whole "thirst"/"world's not ideal enough yet" headspace. Hardly what I'd call fallacy-proof, though.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 09-12-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Ultimate Member

Angrboda isn't even an Aesir or Vanir. She's a damn jotuns who's kids ended up being beasts. This isn't even analogous to black heimdell.
    Yeah...

Funny enough, I really don't care when fictional characters get race bent.

BANNED

Mythological figures should be portrayed as diverse, because after all pantheons of gods are supposed to rule over the entire universe, their power isn't just restricted to the people who worship them. Norse gods are assumed to have Northern European features because naturally the people who were retelling those myths would represent them using what was familiar to them, but by the same token, we in the 21st century should be able to interpret these stories and characters in whatever manner is familiar to us. Not to mention all of the European mythologies that certain people get bent out of shape about if you change one minor detail from the "original" were all adaptations or outgrowths from a much older body of myths belonging to the Proto Indo-European culture which originated in the Central Asian steppe, so the original versions of Thor, Zeus, or whoever were almost certainly not white in any sense that we'd use the term.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-13-2021 at 09:15 AM.