Page 553 of 824 FirstFirst ... 53453503543549550551552553554555556557563603653 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,295 of 12354

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Any thoughts about how Weismann and co. handle Cheshire on Young Justice? Seasons 1 & 2 make most of the Nguyen-Crock family minus Sportsmaster seem shockingly functional overall, and Jade herself seems to be the more reasonable spouse and parent in those season.

...Then Season 3 happens and she pulls the old “too dangerous for my kid” thing and runs a away.

YJ Cheshire is still miles away from comic Cheshire, but is she far enough to avoid some of the characters original racist caricatures?
    She's an improvement if not a particularly complex character. The Asian fans I've spoken to definitely prefer her to her comic counterpart although they site some issues (i.e. Artemis who has blonde hair and is white passing being presented as the good sister compared to Jade who looks more phenotypically Asian).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Just like when Coates told the Marvel dudes at the Marvel retreat that killing Rhodey off in CWII was in bad taste.

And they shrugged and did it anyway.
    Anybody remember that reality show Greenlit?

If I remember correctly it was each season Screen writers try to get thier scripts produced by the indy arm of the Weinstein Group.

So they are looking over the script it's Matt Damon, three other execs and this one Black lady Exec. She says something like: "There's only one Black Woman in this entire movie and she's a Prostitute, really?" And Matt Damon goes tries to defend it by citing artist intent and budget and it's basically "La-la-la, I can't hear you" while the sister is staring at Matt Damon like he's got two heads.

They know, but they are gonna do what they are gonna do. They have people there more or less for the specific purpose of telling them that it's B.S. and they will still do it anyway.

Has anyone seen the new gossip girl trailer?
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

I had no idea there was a new Gossip Girl

Dwayne Johnson Working With An Aquaman Star On New Action Movie

Similar to the formula that sees dinosaur movies escalating with the approach of “bigger and more teeth,” so too goes the action world. Only in a realm where explosions and stunts go hand in hand, a new project that will see Black Adam star/producer Dwayne Johnson and Aquaman star Yahya-Abdul Mateen II joining forces would switch out more teeth for more muscles. Though at the time, some of those muscles will be off the screen, thanks to Johnson only executive producing this new action movie.

Dubbed Emergency Contact, the details of this project’s apparently hot pitch are being kept secret at the moment. All that’s known right now, according to THR’s reporting, is that both Dwayne Johnson and Yahya-Abdul Mateen II are executive producers, with the latter collaborator set to star in the film. The only clues given to what Emergency Contact will entail is the following, cryptic, logline:

A high-concept, high-octane action film set in the underground music scene of Austin, Texas.
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...bdul-mateen-ii

Ellie Kemper finally releases statement on Veiled Prophet Ball controversy

https://www.avclub.com/ellie-kemper-...oph-1847048817

Jean Yoon details "painful" experience working on Kim's Convenience

https://www.avclub.com/jean-yoon-det...ims-1847048756

I owe Nate Grey another apology for my naivety regarding execs.

Apology accepted.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ellie Kemper finally releases statement on Veiled Prophet Ball controversy

https://www.avclub.com/ellie-kemper-...oph-1847048817

Jean Yoon details "painful" experience working on Kim's Convenience

https://www.avclub.com/jean-yoon-det...ims-1847048756

I owe Nate Grey another apology for my naivety regarding execs.
    Jeez, even a show dedicated to the Canadian-Korean experience has racism behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Anybody remember that reality show Greenlit?

If I remember correctly it was each season Screen writers try to get thier scripts produced by the indy arm of the Weinstein Group.

So they are looking over the script it's Matt Damon, three other execs and this one Black lady Exec. She says something like: "There's only one Black Woman in this entire movie and she's a Prostitute, really?" And Matt Damon goes tries to defend it by citing artist intent and budget and it's basically "La-la-la, I can't hear you" while the sister is staring at Matt Damon like he's got two heads.

They know, but they are gonna do what they are gonna do. They have people there more or less for the specific purpose of telling them that it's B.S. and they will still do it anyway.
    Never saw the show, but you're talking about Project Greenlight, I think. I remember seeing a clip involving the black woman back when it occurred. Damon also once said something to the effect of "diversity happens in front of the camera, not behind it" (not sure if this was a separate incident). Mind blowingly idiotic.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Never saw the show, but you're talking about Project Greenlight, I think. I remember seeing a clip involving the black woman back when it occurred. Damon also once said something to the effect of "diversity happens in front of the camera, not behind it" (not sure if this was a separate incident). Mind blowingly idiotic.
    Yeah, it's needed everywhere. Lack of diversity in crews can result in questionable storylines, especially if they're centered around the experience of a minority group

So Batwing was announced on the Batgirl show, What pops into my head is all these people who talk about how they hate racebending. So here is a minority character done "right" what you think DC will do with character? If there is any time to push the character it is going to be on the upcoming season when he first gets used. The actor himself actual wrote a Batwing story in current Batman Urban Legends book. But I don't expect to see a solo or even mini series.

A similar thing is happening happening in Superman and Lois, it is small spoiler sorry but character who people thought was Lex Luthor was reveled to be John Henry Irons. In this case it is a little early for it but shouldn't DC be planning something with Steel? Given the nature of these shows I expect at some point John Henry Irons to become Steel. Do you think that book is going to come for that character at that time?

For me that is what feels false about racebending argument is often these "legit" characters around DC or Marvel has chance to use them, And they often get half assed shot in the dark attempt and then people go look these minority can't sell books. Or they don't get the support necessary by the very people who turn around and say "instead of Black Superman then should use Icon or Steel". Obviously the answer is to correctly support and develop these characters you don't need to change a major character background but building up character/New IP is not easy but when Batwing doesn't "work" in comics what is your confidence as producer/studio that it will work in another format?

I want Steel, Vixen, Batwing, Signal, Cyborg, Static, Icon, etc to be used first but when you have been reading comics and watching the industry for years, You see that they just don't get used. Nothing against Batgirl but why not a Vixen show? But anyways at least a Naomi show is coming but will people support it without a big known superhero name attached to it? My point is stuff done the correct way does not seem to pick up any traction leaving the same problem around not enough minority characters.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-08-2021 at 11:11 PM.

Is this old African Batwing aka the good one or the new american Batwing ak athe boring one lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Is this old African Batwing aka the good one or the new american Batwing ak athe boring one lol?
    The "boring "one who has the better suit

It's Luke, so the american one. I've seen clips of Batwoman and woof is that show bad, even by CW standards it's bad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

So Batwing was announced on the Batgirl show, What pops into my head is all these people who talk about how they hate racebending. So here is a minority character done "right" what you think DC will do with character? If there is any time to push the character it is going to be on the upcoming season when he first gets used. The actor himself actual wrote a Batwing story in current Batman Urban Legends book. But I don't expect to see a solo or even mini series.

A similar thing is happening happening in Superman and Lois, it is small spoiler sorry but character who people thought was Lex Luthor was reveled to be John Henry Irons. In this case it is a little early for it but shouldn't DC be planning something with Steel? Given the nature of these shows I expect at some point John Henry Irons to become Steel. Do you think that book is going to come for that character at that time?

For me that is what feels false about racebending argument is often these "legit" characters around DC or Marvel has chance to use them, And they often get half assed shot in the dark attempt and then people go look these minority can't sell books. Or they don't get the support necessary by the very people who turn around and say "instead of Black Superman then should use Icon or Steel". Obviously the answer is to correctly support and develop these characters you don't need to change a major character background but building up character/New IP is not easy but when Batwing doesn't "work" in comics what is your confidence as producer/studio that it will work in another format?

I want Steel, Vixen, Batwing, Signal, Cyborg, Static, Icon, etc to be used first but when you have been reading comics and watching the industry for years, You see that they just don't get used. Nothing against Batgirl but why not a Vixen show? But anyways at least a Naomi show is coming but will people support it without a big known superhero name attached to it? My point is stuff done the correct way does not seem to pick up any traction leaving the same problem around not enough minority characters.
    Because the comics market is weird and you have a better chance of those any of these characters ( original or spin-offs) catching on with the general audience than you do with the comics audience. Fact of the matter is, certain characters like Vixen and Jon Stewart are real world popular because of their TV appearances not because of smash hit comics runs. Luke Cage broke Netfilx but he hasn't had an extended run since the 90's, his modern runs struggle. Black Panther comics do ok, but his movie was the biggest of the year ( you had people in Russia doing the Panther theatre dance!).