Page 823 of 828 FirstFirst ... 323723773813819820821822823824825826827 ... LastLast
Results 12,331 to 12,345 of 12406
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I've actually seen a number of black people online saying they actually like Candace Owens, which flipped me out. Her pivoting to get black supporters might actually work.
    The Owen's black support thing is interesting.

In the black people Twitter sub-reddit, a lot of people were talking about it and were legitimately worried. A lot of "black social media" platforms now feature some of the most virulent right-wing propaganda that you will ever see. Be it the Shade Room or Lipstick Alley, it's stunning some of the talking points coming out of those areas. Even The Breakfast Club (particularly Charlamagne) has been trying to "both sides" everything.

I don't know what's really happening but if recent surveys and polling are correct, a lot of younger black people have been successfully gaslighted into buying into ridiculous conspiracy theories (primarily about zionism and the LGBTIQ community). It's also why we still see a lot of people defending Kanye West.

No doubt a lot of this stuff is amplified by bots but it's interesting to see a number of black people completely ignore the poison and hatred that Owens showed towards the black community. Maybe it's a generational thing, but back then, I think we had a little more pride in ourselves to really pay attention to self-hating clowns.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-24-2024 at 06:24 AM.

I've actually seen a number of black people online saying they actually like Candace Owens, which flipped me out. Her pivoting to get black supporters might actually work.
    Candace speaks to a facet of black people that basically have a Booker T. Washington, talented tenth world view. Some black people believe that all our problems would go away if we just pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, (and our pants, and wear a belt, and a suit), and just get over racism. That we use racism as an excuse to be lazy instead of starting businesses. Pookies, Ray-Rays, and Shaniquas everywhere. ( I went to school with a girl named Ray-Ray, does that count for anything?). The Government doesn't need to give black people things, they don't need reparations, they just need to get jobs (and quit burning down their own cities, even though most of the BLM protests weren't violent), not white collar ones though, jobs working in trades. Even though we're losing those kinds of jobs to automation, and a lot of them are physically demanding. Ten years ago Owens would have been telling them to learn how to code.

Some black people are very much married to the idea that respectability politics saves lives, even though Dr. King and Malcolm X were wearing suits when they were shot. I shouldn't have to wear a suit with my degree around my neck to prove that I'm a human being who deserves to live.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 03-25-2024 at 06:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Candace speaks to a facet of black people that basically have a Booker T. Washington, talented tenth world view. Some black people believe that all our problems would go away if we just pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, (and our pants, and wear a belt, and a suit), and just get over racism. That we use racism as an excuse to be lazy instead of starting businesses. Pookies, Ray-Rays, and Shaniquas everywhere. ( I went to school with a girl named Ray-Ray, does that count for anything?). The Government doesn't need to give black people things, they don't need reparations, they just need to get jobs (and quit burning down their own cities, even though most of the BLM protests weren't violent), not white collar ones though, jobs working in trades. Even though we're losing those kinds of jobs to automation, and a lot of them are physically demanding. Ten years ago Owens would have been telling them to learn how to code.

Some black people are very much married to the idea that respectability politics saves lives, even though Dr. King and Malcolm X were wearing suits when they were shot. I shouldn't have to wear a suit with my degree around my neck to prove that I'm a human being who deserves to live.
    This 100%.

I agree with this. Most of the people I was talking about are 40+ years old, so it isn't the younger generation. It's the people that have grown more conservative as they've gotten older and are inching closer to the mindset of people they used to be aligned against.

A look at the hypocrisy of the right treating Sydney Sweeney's cleavage as "an end to wokeness" despite being far more sex negative than the left.

I agree with this. Most of the people I was talking about are 40+ years old, so it isn't the younger generation. It's the people that have grown more conservative as they've gotten older and are inching closer to the mindset of people they used to be aligned against.
    A lot of black boomers and gen-x ers, in addition to cynicism, are married to the idea that one can fight capitalism with capitalism, some do it while evoking Fred Hampton, who said the exact opposite. The fact that Jay-Z, Beyonce, and Oprah are billionaires does not help working class black people. I know I'm sounding like a blue haired twitter communist, but I'm not. I don't think entrepreneurship is a bad thing, but it's not the saving grace people think it is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

A look at the hypocrisy of the right treating Sydney Sweeney's cleavage as "an end to wokeness" despite being far more sex negative than the left.
    The whole thing with Sydney Sweeney is one of the weirdest culture war things I've ever seen.

I legit do not get this one.

Invincible Member

Duke University releases statement in response to Musk's statements on DEI

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/du...on/ar-BB1kv5xE

Ultimate Member

A lot of black boomers and gen-x ers, in addition to cynicism, are married to the idea that one can fight capitalism with capitalism, some do it while evoking Fred Hampton, who said the exact opposite. The fact that Jay-Z, Beyonce, and Oprah are billionaires does not help working class black people. I know I'm sounding like a blue haired twitter communist, but I'm not. I don't think entrepreneurship is a bad thing, but it's not the saving grace people think it is.
    I think it's understandable to some extent to hold certain conservative views as a black person (although I do wonder what exactly they are conserving). It's not wrong to say that parents should play a bigger role in the lives of their kids or that people should follow positive role models but is anyone actually saying anything otherwise? Is anyone in the black community actually trying to destroy black families? Is anyone preaching to the black community from the community to avoid going to school or anything like that? Is anyone legitimately saying that people shouldn't get married because of welfare?? (this one is racist talking point that started during Ronald Reagans time, I'm surprised people are still repeating it). I really don't think so.

Just to be clear, a lot of things these guys focus on aren't exclusive to the black community. Stuff like single-parenthood (which these guys are obsessed with) has increased across most (if not all) demographics in the US and not just black Americans. The aggregate effect on the individual communities might be different because of historical antecedent but Black Americans simply don't exist in the US in isolation and are not exempt from larger societal trends. It is what it is. Also, the black billionaire class existing doesn't really do much for the larger community. I agree that black entertainers can do more to build up capital in that space and give more to their community, but Beyonce and Jay-Z are focused entirely on themselves and not much else (I actually have a problem with Beyonce and her song-writing management practices but that's a whole other discussion).

The issues with people like Owens aren't even her conservative talking points, it's the misinformation they spread. See the nonsense George Floyd not dying from a whole man kneeling on his neck but from Fentanyl or how black people were doing better in the 1960s (when the black poverty rate was considerably higher than today) or the wife of the President of France being "trans". I see some comments about how they see her as a "role model" because she's well spoken, this is confusing because are they not seeing the number of well-spoken black lawyers and judges, professors, scientists e.t.c all around us? It's distinctly bizarre because it seems that some of these guys are ignoring the reality around them to make their points.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-25-2024 at 12:38 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Duke University releases statement in response to Musk's statements on DEI

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/du...on/ar-BB1kv5xE
    That Elon Musk/Don Lemon interview was rough.

I think some of Lemon's questions were a little out of pocket (the ones around his medical prescription shouldn't have been included) but beyond that, Musk looked hurt at the end. He legit couldn't defend most of his "views" and was just repeating what random people were saying online. He literally said that DEI has led to reduction in standards and his evidence was from "twitter responses". His ideology is ridiculous, baseless, 4-chan nonsense. Homie couldn't even answer questions on content moderation because X/Twitter doesn't follow its own content moderation rules. He looked like he was almost in tears at certain points because he simply couldn't back up the nonsense he puts out.

Beyond the constant repetition of diversity somehow leading to falling standards (that's the same argument used against affirmative action which has been dismantled), a lot of the online right-wing talking points start out as 4chan memes that just take on a life of their own. They aren't really based in any reality, but some people run with them without checking their origin. Someone like Musk who's supposed to be intelligent and enlightened, it's stunning at how ignorant his politics come across.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-25-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That Elon Musk/Don Lemon interview was rough.

I think some of Lemon's questions were a little out of pocket (the ones around his medical prescription shouldn't have been included) but beyond that, Musk looked hurt at the end. He legit couldn't defend most of his "views" and was just repeating what random people were saying online. He literally said that DEI has led to reduction in standards and his evidence was from "twitter responses". His ideology is ridiculous, baseless, 4-chan nonsense. Homie couldn't even answer questions on content moderation because X/Twitter doesn't follow its own content moderation rules. He looked like he was almost in tears at certain points because he simply couldn't back up the nonsense he puts out.

Beyond the constant repetition of diversity somehow leading to falling standards (that's the same argument used against affirmative action which has been dismantled), a lot of the online right-wing talking points start out as 4chan memes that just take on a life of their own. They aren't really based in any reality, but some people run with them without checking their origin. Someone like Musk who's supposed to be intelligent and enlightened, it's stunning at how ignorant his politics come across.
    Elon built up a reputation for himself as a Howard Hughes type. He was the darling of Reddit in the early 2000's, (I should have snatched up the Cyborg 009 manga when I had the chance), RDJ's Tony Stark was modeled after him, he even appeared in the first Iron Man movie. He rode the wave of the early 2000's shallow, superficial love of science, when everybody and their brother was being told to start a .com business, or learn how to code. It's not as prevalent as it is today, thank goodness. Turns out, Elon isn't really that smart, he's just a trust fund baby that got lucky, Twitter's bleeding cash, (in his defense, it was bad before Elon bought it) Teslas are horrible cars, I think hybrids are more popular than full electric, especially in the winter. Right wingers love him 'cause he's on "their side" if he wasn't then they'd make fun of him like Bill Gates.

Ultimate Member

Human trafficking. No arrests are imminent, but this is the way it starts.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think it's understandable to some extent to hold certain conservative views as a black person (although I do wonder what exactly they are conserving). It's not wrong to say that parents should play a bigger role in the lives of their kids or that people should follow positive role models but is anyone actually saying anything otherwise? Is anyone in the black community actually trying to destroy black families? Is anyone preaching to the black community from the community to avoid going to school or anything like that? Is anyone legitimately saying that people shouldn't get married because of welfare?? (this one is racist talking point that started during Ronald Reagans time, I'm surprised people are still repeating it). I really don't think so.
    Actually YES those folks do exist.

They are the ones who tell a 16 year old girl that something is wrong with her because she doesn't have at least 3 kids.
    The one who says the girl making litters of kids is the bread winner of the house.
    The ones who call smart black kids ESPECIALLY black males everything in the book except a child of God.
    The ones who act like a black male ONLY way to be successful is being a rapper or thug.
    They ones who have issues with black male teachers existing in a school.

Now you ask why don't you hear or see them? Especially on Fox News.

When the camera shows up-guess who changes for the camera and say the opposite.

As for folks like Candance-the issue with black conservatives is the majority of them NEVER encountered some of the barriers other blacks have faced.
    And a few times you will get homeboy Byron Donalds in Florida-who was a thug and is now in public office. Folks fail to point out his criminal record was expunged.

Their attitude is there is NOTHING blocking black folks. The issue is DEPENDING on where you live that is NOT true and we got plenty of examples.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Will is still in shape but Martin is starting to look his age.