Page 615 of 827 FirstFirst ... 115515565605611612613614615616617618619625665715 ... LastLast
Results 9,211 to 9,225 of 12392

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post

And sure, it is hypothetically possible to hate the Chinese government and not the people, but I must say I have a hard time believing anyone who makes a claim like that,

because it's usually followed up by some claim that Chinese people are uncivilized savages who eat cats and dogs and bats, or that Chinese netizens are overly sensitive for getting mad about having to pay for the privilege of telling them their country sucks or that, ackshually, Chinese people are the REAL racists because of one video of a dude harassing some black people, never mind that for every one of those there are hundreds of videos you can find of the same thing happening over here.
    Wow, only hypothetically. Do you really 'have a hard time believing ANYONE, who makes a claim like that' or just internet hard time believing? Like, NOBODY ever can have those two thoughts in their head. And is it always USUALLY followed up by a claim that the Chinese people are... uncivilized savages? This is where the Webay wow Ok gif goes.

Could it be, even remotely, that you're sensitive to something, that you only have a narrow perception that others do not? Because, internet?

The point is not that Liu's parents don't have valid criticisms or that everything in China is peachy keen because the majority is happy with the government, anybody who has ever been to China knows that there are deep structural issues that need to be solved and that it will take a lot time, hard work, and difficult choices to address those.
    Except of course this part? And of course imho, these deep structural issues won't ever get better.
    Last edited by Surf; 09-17-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Nobody is obligated to air NBA games or show Marvel movies. How many networks here would willingly broadcast Karl Marx Happy Fun Time Hour?

Also, billionaires disappearing is a good thing, I wish some of ours would disappear.

The point is not that Liu's parents don't have valid criticisms or that everything in China is peachy keen because the majority is happy with the government, anybody who has ever been to China knows that there are deep structural issues that need to be solved and that it will take a lot time, hard work, and difficult choices to address those. The point is that people like you only ever hear the opinions of those people, and never hear anybody making positive comments about the Chinese government or the party, so you assume that the country must be a totalitarian hellhole where everybody is dying to escape and breathe the free air on Western shores, and the fact that so many people here believe that without bothering to do an ounce of research about the reality of the situation says a lot about who is actually suffering from propaganda and brainwashing.

And sure, it is hypothetically possible to hate the Chinese government and not the people, but I must say I have a hard time believing anyone who makes a claim like that, because it's usually followed up by some claim that Chinese people are uncivilized savages who eat cats and dogs and bats, or that Chinese netizens are overly sensitive for getting mad about having to pay for the privilege of telling them their country sucks or that, ackshually, Chinese people are the REAL racists because of one video of a dude harassing some black people, never mind that for every one of those there are hundreds of videos you can find of the same thing happening over here.

Look, I would never fault anyone for enjoying a movie and if they think that this depiction is empowering and makes them feel proud, that's great. But what I don't have time for is people who will claim that and then in the same breath rant about how the CCP is an evil oppressive regime that is responsible for everything wrong with the world, even *gasp* making movies slightly worse (but not in a really noticeable way unless you're really paying attention)! If you can't make the link between the orientalist caricatures this film is supposed to be pushing back against, and the red scare propaganda that is being pushed on us now, then don't be surprised when increasing hostility between the US and China leads to more racism and hate crimes against anyone that looks remotely Chinese, no matter how many times well-intentioned white people plead to "stop Asian hate."
    Okay, just to clarify:

I neither said China is some totalitarian hellhole everyone is dying to escape from nor am I blind to any reasons people might like the CCP just as how I am not blind to why anyone would dislike them as Liu's parents do. I am neither American nor blind to Hollywood's own issues. I feel very confident Vic Vega isn't naive to America's own issues with black people, Asian people, etc. I have no doubt you have run into your share of bad faith actors when it comes to criticism of the Chinese government but you can't assume that of everyone who says something negative about the CCP. That is not what causes anti-Asian hate crimes.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of Simu Liu, it seems there's some stuff rumbling around him.

Apparently, he was a part of a problematic forum in the past.

He seems to have said some "problematic" stuff a couple of years back. I heard about the Nicki Minaj stuff (the barbs went after him hard back then) but that wasn't really racist, it was just more of him trying to be edgy by making fun of her music. But these new "revelations" are very strange.

It also seems he was a bit of a jerk to some of his colleagues in his past work.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-17-2021 at 07:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Wow, only hypothetically. Do you really 'have a hard time believing ANYONE, who makes a claim like that' or just internet hard time believing? Like, NOBODY ever can have those two thoughts in their head. And is it always USUALLY followed up by a claim that the Chinese people are... uncivilized savages? This is where the Webay wow Ok gif goes.

Could it be, even remotely, that you're sensitive to something, that you only have a narrow perception that others do not? Because, internet?

Except of course this part? And of course imho, these deep structural issues won't ever get better we well.
    This has nothing to with the internet, I've been hearing it from people for my entire life and most of the time I'm content to just nod my head and go about my business. Today I'm feeling a little spicy for unrelated reasons, so I decided to go on this rant.

As for the structural issues, you'd really be surprised. Some longstanding issues that people assumed would NEVER get fixed have been getting addressed lately, and while you never know how these things will turn out in the long run, I would say that broadly speaking people in China are fairly satisfied that is heading in a positive direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Okay, just to clarify:

I neither said China is some totalitarian hellhole everyone is dying to escape from nor am I blind to any reasons people might like the CCP just as how I am not blind to why anyone would dislike them as Liu's parents do. I am neither American nor blind to Hollywood's own issues. I feel very confident Vic Vega isn't naive to America's own issues with black people, Asian people, etc. I have no doubt you have run into your share of bad faith actors when it comes to criticism of the Chinese government but you can't assume that of everyone who says something negative about the CCP. That is not what causes anti-Asian hate crimes.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, it's not so much the criticism of the CPC that is causing the hate crimes, but rather the same racist impulses that manifest in the attacks we've been seeing on the street are also responsible for most of the criticism of the Chinese government, and laundering it behind a thin veil of "oh I'm just talking about the government not the country or the people" is kind of like saying that "oh I don't hate Muslims I just hate Islam" or "oh I don't hate black people I just hate thug culture."

I've been around long enough to know that Americans by and large do not give two shits about what happens in China unless it can be used as an argument for why they suck and we are better than them. When has anyone from the West bothered to spend two seconds thinking about the vibrant cultural scene in 21st century China, which yes has a lot of hyper-commercialized crap and shameless copying of Western forms, but also features a ton of innovative artists pushing creative boundaries that are WAY more interesting than the same old recycled nonsense about kung fu, dim sum, dragons, or whatever. When talking about social issues, does anyone ever mention labor rights, the stifling work and study culture, celebrity worship, generational and regional prejudice, and attitudes towards Western influence? No, it's all the same recycled garbage about organ harvesting and concentration camps pushed by some far right lunatic cultists who get all the press. So from the perspective of anyone who is even tangentially informed, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who is offering meaningful criticism and people who are just regurgitating the same old talking points that are ultimately based in racist yellow peril propaganda.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-17-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Speaking of Simu Liu, it seems there's some stuff rumbling around him.

Apparently, he was a part of a problematic forum in the past.

He seems to have said some "problematic" stuff a couple of years back. I heard about the Nicki Minaj stuff (the barbs went after him hard back then) but that wasn't really racist, it was just more of him trying to be edgy by making fun of her music. But these new "revelations" are very strange.

It also seems he was a bit of a jerk to some of his colleagues in his past work.
    hey, since you bring up here

Yikes Nicki is a pretty terrible human being and yikes, why is she around so many sex offenders
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Yikes Nicki is a pretty terrible human being and yikes, why is she around so many sex offenders
    She lost me with the how Covid Vaccine made her cousins friend get Swollen Balls thing and that is why she wont get it. I mean I didnt really like her before that but man that was out there.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    She lost me with the how Covid Vaccine made her cousins friend get Swollen Balls thing and that is why she wont get it. I mean I didnt really like her before that but man that was out there.
    Some believe she made up that story to distract from her husband failing to register as a sex offender and the allegations of her fans and associates harassing his victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Some believe she made up that story to distract from her husband failing to register as a sex offender and the allegations of her fans and associates harassing his victim.
    I handt heard that. I had to go look it up real quick. Wow!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I actually feel sorry for the cousin.

She just outed the man who apparently has an STD.

Ultimate Member

It's very strange.

Her husband is a registered sex offender and her brother too.

But it says something about her to get married to that sort of individual.

EDIT: Although I think the "hoopla" around her comments are a little overblown. She was mainly talking herself not getting the vaccine and wasn't really asking people not to get it. I'm sure she will have her reasons given the "enhancements" she's done to herself. But she wasn't really making some big political statement that's it been turned into.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-17-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Why is she around so many sex offenders is not the frame I was ready for today.

All I have is this new generation of 'fans' really don't give too much of a **** about perception. And sonofabitch if I'm becoming 'In my day' guy, Hip-Hop edition. I mean does anyone remember what MC Lyte's brother was most known for? It was being a dope rapper in a group called Audio Two lol. Not being a child predator.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Why is she around so many sex offenders is not the frame I was ready for today.

All I have is this new generation of 'fans' really don't give too much of a **** about perception. And sonofabitch if I'm becoming 'In my day' guy, Hip-Hop edition. I mean does anyone remember what MC Lyte's brother was most known for? It was being a dope rapper in a group called Audio Two lol. Not being a child predator.
    Talk about your deep cuts.

Afrika Bambaataa has faced multiple allegations of child sexual abuse and people don't seem to talk about it very much.

It's very strange.

EDIT: Although I think the "hoopla" around her comments are a little overblown. She was mainly talking herself not getting the vaccine and wasn't really asking people not to get it. I'm sure she will have her reasons given the "enhancements" she's done to herself. But she wasn't really making some big political statement that's it been turned into.
    And she keeps doing songs with takeshis pedo ass
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's very strange.

Nikki put herself out there on twitter, where everything's been political since 2016, maybe even longer. Tucker and Candice picked up on it, which made it worse. What really gets me about these conservative types is how they claim to hate hollywood and celebrities, until one of them says something that they like, then they love them. It's like getting the popular kids in high school to notice you. It's awful.

Ultimate Member

They only hate the perceived progressivism of Hollywood's so-called elite. But then they praise capitalism, which made Hollywood. Makes no sense