Page 406 of 828 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406407408409410416456506 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,090 of 12415

Netflix faces indictment in Texas over controversial French film 'Cuties'

Netflix Inc is facing a criminal charge in a Texas county for promoting lewd visuals of a child in the French film “Cuties”, according to a statement from Tyler county’s district attorney’s office on Tuesday.

The document, filed on Sept. 23, said Netflix promoted material in the film that depicts lewd exhibition of the pubic area of a clothed or partially clothed child who was younger than 18 years of age which appeals to the prurient interest in sex.

“Cuties is a social commentary against the sexualization of young children. This charge is without merit and we stand by the film,” Netflix said in a statement.

The plot of “Cuties” centers around an 11-year-old Muslim girl who “starts to rebel against her conservative family’s traditions when she becomes fascinated with a free-spirited dance crew,” according to Netflix.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-n...source=twitter

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Imagine taking two shows, one on which had Black writers, a Black creator, and an all Black cast and throwing them off your network for being too racist.

Meanwhile I'm sure HBO Max has plenty of movies with all sorts of racist stereotypes but I bet those won't get taken down.

This is the problem with Software as a Service (speaking first hand from working with apps like that) --> you never own what you pay for.
    I was watching Mad TV on HBO Max and they have definitely removed some episodes. It really doesn't make sense.

Jeff Pegues of CBS has been doing some good reporting on this story of the huge lack of Black agents in the FBI this week. Just, fuckin' incredulous, you know, after a while you can see that in terms of, just basic employment. White men will protect and exclude certain careers through job opportunities to keep their hold of power over some of the highest levels of responsibility. The military is upwards of 40% minorities, African-Americans making up the lions share of that. No way in hell the levels of Black FBI agents coming from military service are not higher.

Former Black special agents say FBI's culture is "not conducive to minorities"

Over the last several months, CBS News spoke with more than two dozen current and former Black agents, all of whom described some sort of racial discrimination while in the FBI. They describe long-standing problems at every level: the FBI's failed attempts to recruit more Black agents, the disproportionate weeding out of Black applicants during the training process, and how White managers tend to only promote individuals who look like themselves.

Currently, only 4% of the 13,000 FBI agents around the world are Black, a number that has stayed virtually the same for decades.

"I believe a crisis is happening," said Eric Jackson who was the special agent in charge of the FBI's Dallas field office until he retired last year. "If we don't look like the community we serve, how can that community trust us?"

Rhonda Glover Reese said she experienced racism during her 34-year career at the FBI. As a Black woman at the bureau, she said she's at times felt invisible. Black women make up just 1% of all FBI special agents.

FBI recruiting videos give the appearance of a bureau made up of a diverse talent pool, but the agents CBS News spoke with say that it is not what the FBI is like at all.

Love said the low number of Black agents in the FBI is "horrific."

"The fact of the matter is if the FBI is majority White male, that's who you're gonna majority grow up with," said Mike Mason, the former executive assistant director. "And so you're gonna be the beneficiary of that more than anybody else is."

Of agents currently running the FBI's 56 field offices across the country, only three are Black.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Watching that 6 year old black girl get arrested at the beginning of the video is heartbreaking.

And the Trump Presidency has been an absolute total disaster and poison for the minorities.

This isn't the say that Biden is flawless (that stupid 1994 crime bill is something that he can't really live down) but the total "white supremacy" that Trump's government has adopted is absolutely destructive.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-08-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Jeff Pegues of CBS has been doing some good reporting on this story of the huge lack of Black agents in the FBI this week. Just, fuckin' incredulous, you know, after a while you can see that in terms of, just basic employment. White men will protect and exclude certain careers through job opportunities to keep their hold of power over some of the highest levels of responsibility. The military is upwards of 40% minorities, African-Americans making up the lions share of that. No way in hell the levels of Black FBI agents coming from military service are not higher.
    Still people see stats like these and continue to argue there is no systemic racism in the US.

Honestly, I'm shocked at this. I always assumed there were more black and colored people in the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Still people see stats like these and continue to argue there is no systemic racism in the US.

Honestly, I'm shocked at this. I always assumed there were more black and colored people in the FBI.
    I always figured you'd find more poc in the US police or military than in intelligence or government agencies like the FBI or CIA.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Well part of the issue is this-how many ads on tv or radio during black lead stuff do you hear versus white counterparts.

I listen to mainly white radio stations-do yo know who many ads for CIA & FBI I can hear within a 6 hour period? Almost 4 ads for them in a 30 minute period.

Same with magazines-what GQ has for ads in generally NOT the same as say Ebony or any urban magazine.

At school-I don't see FBI or CIA folks coming to recruit black kids at black schools. It's either the army, mechanics, nursing or barber/beauty shops schools coming for black kids.

520 black FBI agents of of 13K.

Watching that 6 year old black girl get arrested at the beginning of the video is heartbreaking.

And the Trump Presidency has been an absolute total disaster and poison for the minorities.

This isn't the say that Biden is flawless but the total "white supremacy" that Trump's government has adopted is absolutely destructive.
    I get what that video was trying to do but it left out a few things...

ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY-how many school districts go by THAT rule.

Kid who gets bullied and fights back gets the same punishment as the bullies.
    Kid draws a gun on his notebook gets punished.
    Kid turns in knife he found gets punished.
    Kid eats cookies in class gets punished.

Check some of the penal/juvenile laws in your state. What that cop did to that 6 year old is LEGAL in some states.

Speaking of minorities and working for the FBI, have any of you ever seen this movie?

Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member

Interesting take as usual.

Extraordinary Member

True story. I went 6 years in the nuclear Navy. Got out and went to college. And was doing good. They had one of those jobs fairs my senior year. Where all sorts of companies and such, come and have a set up in The auditorium trying to recruit students about to graduate.

Every company or business table that I walked up to was interested in me. Of course they are, it’s a job fair. Except one. I walk over to the FBI table and can’t even get within three feet of it, before the person there tells me “Sorry, this isn’t for you. Try something else.”

This was the FBI table. I’m black by the way. And this was in 2007.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    True story. I went 6 years in the nuclear Navy. Got out and went to college. And was doing good. They had one of those jobs fairs my senior year. Where all sorts of companies and such, come and have a set up in The auditorium trying to recruit students about to graduate.

Every company or business table that I walked up to was interested in me. Of course they are, it’s a job fair. Except one. I walk over to the FBI table and can’t even get within three feet of it, before the person there tells me “Sorry, this isn’t for you. Try something else.”

Wow........for real?

That troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Not shocking imo

Something interesting that might happen in comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgsvs-pKibE&t=600s
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Something interesting that might happen in comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgsvs-pKibE&t=600s
    Nothing more than gator starter kit talk that doesn't understand CRAP.

The ISSUE is when POC get told they have to have these immaculate resumes to get jobs-they still face push back and doors slam in their faces. While white guys with lesser resumes get the gigs.

Red Hood is getting a black writer and artist-folks threw a fit and even more when they saw a black woman on the cover. Nevermind the writer is a Batman VETERAN.

That was the point Priest was trying to make. Yet Comcisgate and trolls used that as a weapon to attack folks especially Heather Antos and women.

Those same dummies show they don't READ his books because they would notice all the black folks he toss in them.

Where were all these black folks in Deathstroke and Vampirella before Priest showed up? He is doing no different than Vita who did it with Livewire and Supergirl.

What we are seeing are folks trying to make up for the racism of the past. Yet we got folks trying to make it an attack on white straight males.

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Does anyone know any Romani character represented in comics (aside from the 'gypsy' tropes)?
    I can only think of nightwing
    Last edited by Gryphon; 10-12-2020 at 11:59 AM.