Page 235 of 827 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245285335735 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 12395
    Astonishing Member

Bit of a side thing before I go to responding to old posts, but fanservice is anything that's thrown in or applied in a work of fiction that is explicitly meant to excite or please the fans, wherein it is a nice, pleasing addition that didn't need to be in there or written in that way but specifically was. It isn't just gratuitous male or female sexiness, as that isn't the only way to give fans something extra the writers no will like. "Forever Red" and most any other cross-series team-ups are also a form of fanservice for Power Rangers fans. Bringing up and bringing back old fan-fave continuity things for the sake of giving nod to the fans who favorited them is another example.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Exactly! It's so annoying how POC's get stuck in mid tier land, especially black characters. There was Amadeus Cho before he got depowered into braun, yet they have a freakin new character that has both hulk and wolverine powers combine. But of course he's white so he's allowed to have both....
    Not even close 100% sure and I might be conflating him with his wife and kids, but isn't Clayton of Asian descent, regardless of his name? Like, is he actually White?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A post calling out fans for erasing Miles Morales' latino heritage.

https://ubernegro.tumblr.com/post/18...t-this-like-it
    Woah! I didn't know this was problem. Now that I do, I'm not surprised, but yet I'm caught blindsided at Miles getting hate by Latinx/Latines for being Black. Was a good read, though Black shoulda been capitalized in all instances used in that post. Otherwise, was perfect and an eye-opener. (And people running to Miguel is rather laughable and sad at the same time; poster wasn't lying that O'Hara's "representation" began and ended with his first name, and still does to this day despite looking a little tanner in recent years.)

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneBluePots View Post
    It's sort've like the dynamic the kids in Digimon's second season had - friendly, but not really friends in the same sense as their predecessors.
    Not the topic of discussion, but interesting takeaway to me. I rather disagree with the notion, though. It may not have been even, but then again neither was it for the original cast (certain interaction pairings had greater emphasis then, too), but I feel they grew to be pretty tight-knit, especially once Ken came on board. (And Yolie and Cody seemed to have bit of a bond prior to the DNA pairings began.)

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Not even close 100% sure and I might be conflating him with his wife and kids, but isn't Clayton of Asian descent, regardless of his name? Like, is he actually White?

Who's Clayton?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who's Clayton?
    Clayton Cortez, aka Weapon H. Seems to be at least partly Hispanic.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

The J-man

Formerly Ballard Blues RoxanneBluePots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Not the topic of discussion, but interesting takeaway to me. I rather disagree with the notion, though. It may not have been even, but then again neither was it for the original cast (certain interaction pairings had greater emphasis then, too), but I feel they grew to be pretty tight-knit, especially once Ken came on board. (And Yolie and Cody seemed to have bit of a bond prior to the DNA pairings began.)
    That's a fair assessment. I think the chosen direction of the voice acting (or its choice of actors for certain characters) probably still colors my opinion of S2's relationship dynamics more than anything. I definitely bought the relationship between Ken and Davis by the end of the season, it was the outlying relationships where Davis was connected that I got the sense that most of the kids just tolerated each other, and really wanted to be elsewhere than around each other.

My God, reports of John Singleton passing from a stroke over the weekend have been touch and go and looks like he has passed. Man, only 51 too. Just tragic, hope the family can pull it together.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Speaking of MK

Where the hell is smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Speaking of MK

Where the hell is smoke?
    Same place Sindel, Stryker and Nightwolf are I guess.

Sub-Zero doesn't seem to particularly worried about the guy who was his only friend in the Lin Kuei.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneBluePots View Post
    That's a fair assessment. I think the chosen direction of the voice acting (or its choice of actors for certain characters) probably still colors my opinion of S2's relationship dynamics more than anything. I definitely bought the relationship between Ken and Davis by the end of the season, it was the outlying relationships where Davis was connected that I got the sense that most of the kids just tolerated each other, and really wanted to be elsewhere than around each other.
    Heh, I see. I dunno. I get that Davis got on their nerves, but the overall feeling over time was that they began to appreciate Davis for Davis and what he did bring to the table. And for another side, similar was what made the "Ken closing the portal" moment so sweet in my eyes with everyone backing him emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Clayton Cortez, aka Weapon H. Seems to be at least partly Hispanic.
    This. Or perhaps Filipino to some extent? Like I said, I'm not sure and may be conflating something, but from what little I saw in a preview of a recent comic, I didn't quite get the impression that Clayton was meant to be White, or at least completely so.

White Woman Defaces Nipsey Hussle Memorial

https://www.theroot.com/white-woman-...ial-1834390287

White Supremacists Descend Upon Book Store, Chant 'This Land is Our Land'

https://www.theroot.com/white-suprem...his-1834388971

Is Neil Gaiman's Eternals trade any good?

It is in the bargain bin at my BAM for 6 bucks. Kinda interested because I know nothing about them for the movie
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Is Neil Gaiman's Eternals trade any good?

It is in the bargain bin at my BAM for 6 bucks. Kinda interested because I know nothing about them for the movie
    Yes, it's very good. I've read it three times. It's set after the original civil war when Iron Man ran shield, it holds up fairly well. The eternals are a lot like the new gods, Kirby created them after he left DC and came back to marvel, because he wanted to kill them off and DC wouldn't let them, which is ironic because he only went to DC after Marvel wouldn't let him kill Thor and the asgardians. Gaiman's run is a little esoteric, but not as esoteric as the original. There was a series that came out after the miniseries, don't read that one, that one's not good.

This was a few pages back but it regards black people in MK with super powers.

On the villain side you got Geras and on the heroic side you have Jade. Though the latter kind of falls into ambiguously brown territory.

You guys will not believe the song they used for this trailer.

Ultimate Member

RIP John Singleton.

I'm old enough to remember Boyz in da hood's reception, the man was a true inspiration for young colored people.

His death also highlights a big problem in the black community, hypertension (and other issues like heart disease and diabetes which black people are extremely vulnerable to). We really, really need to take care of ourselves.