Page 141 of 826 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241641 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 12381
    Extraordinary Member

I had thirst for Leslie “Big Lez” Segar back in the day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It's a problem when black kids have to grow up fast. They develop fast in one area, but lag behind in others which can give way to poor decision making, and exploitation.

In other words, we have a lot of real-life Peter Parker-styled folks within the black community.

When it comes to racial solidarity, some folks do go too far.

Hmm...I can see where you're coming from, but I don't believe it's universal. You only have to listen to hip hop to hear all the success stories from those that had to grow up fast and is making a better life from it. Hell, TI is a perfect example. Growing up fast often sparks that sense of independence and drive to succeed at an early age because you're responsible for either your own, or even your entire family survival.

Hell, almost my entire childhood my mom and siblings and I would live in our uncles and aunts basements, moving every 2 years cause the uncle/aunt couldn't take it anymore. Hell, my mom couldn't survive with just her paycheck so at 14 I was working almost full time delivering newspaper just so we could survive. That wasn't enough though so my dad took my brother and I away. But going through those struggles I'm pretty sure is what put the fire into what I am today. Now I'm an Engineer making 6 figures (the most in my family.) and started my own comic book company LLC last year.

So growing up fast does has it's downsides for sure, I definitely didn't have much of a childhood. But I'm almost positive it took me into the success I am today.

And I know my past experience is not super uncommon, so when I think about how much responsibility I had at such an early age, I can see how some in the black community can be like 14 is almost grown, because for many, folks had to make grown decisions at that age, some times even earlier.

Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to address growing up fast part.

And yeah, I can agree.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    With Cosby, even if he had not gone to jail, he still would have been casted out of the black community because his actions can't be defended, but many within the black community see nothing wrong with what R Kelly done.
    Like I said before there are black people who still defend Cosby with him being in jail, so no he wouldn't have been cast out by everyone (obviously there is no one unified "black community"). And just because some (don't agree with "many") don't have the sense to see what R Kelly did is wrong doesn't mean it wasn't. All it means is they are as fucked in the head as Kelly. Hell some black folks see nothing wrong with killing a mofo as part of a gang initiation, or over some sneakers.

R(apist) Kelly wouldn't have been sneaking around with these underage girls or paying people off if so many people thought what he was doing was okay.
    Last edited by G. Boney; 01-07-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I hope this focus does not take away from Bryan Singer. Plenty people supported his last film, with full knowledge of his transgressions.

Let's not forget other back in the day Lolita Lovers: Elvis Presley & Jerry Lee Lewis (Great Balls Of Fire).

When it comes to the legacies of child predators, if the Joker is not your flavor, then tap into your inner Killmonger and......

Honestly, R. Kelly is the only one that is even in the running with Lewis.

For starters, that incredibly young woman was related to him.

In addition, he shot a member of his band and might have murdered one of his wives.

If R. Kelly was anywhere near some of those pages out of Jerry Lee's playbook, he would already be in a graveyard somewhere.

Not to minimize that Kelly should most likely be in a cell somewhere, but Lewis is almost a whole other level.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Like I said before there are black people who still defend Cosby with him being in jail, so no he wouldn't have been cast out by everyone (obviously there is no one unified "black community"). And just because some (don't agree with "many") don't have the sense to see what R Kelly did is wrong doesn't mean it wasn't. All it means is they are as fucked in the head as Kelly. Hell some black folks see nothing wrong with killing a mofo as part of a gang initiation, or over some sneakers.

R(apist) Kelly wouldn't have been sneaking around with these underage girls or paying people off if so many people thought what he was doing was okay.
    Strange, I mean of course not everyone is going to agree with any decision. But I haven't heard a peep of support for Cosby after his jail sentence while I still regularly see people cape for R Kelly, so .

With that said, What R Kelly was doing was illegal, so he had to sneak around and pay off people.

Extraordinary Member

Kid @@#$ing hasn't been in socially acceptable in the US in about 100 hundred years.

Even in the 70's and very early 80's when media generally thought it was just fine and dandy to sexualize the heck out of actual 15 year olds and younger ( ex. Brooke Shields and her Calvins, Jodie Foster and others) actually doing it was the realm of people like Jerry Lee Lewis and Jake LaMotta who were considered little more than pariahs when it came out. Lamotta went to the slammer for it if I recall correctly.

R. Kelly didn't grow up in 1930's Arkansas. He isn't some recent African expatriate either. Dudes an American citizen with knowledge of what right and wrong are.

Dude knew what he was doing was fucked up or he wouldn't have paid Aaliyah's folks all that hush money so damn fast.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Exactly.

Only a few months ago, people within the community were defending R.Kelly so hard that I started to wonder. It just now changed with the release of the documentary.

Black people tend to turn a blind eye to a lot of garbage some celebrities do. Like I said earlier, too many people in the community defend and glorify downright inappropriate behavior.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Kid @@#$ing hasn't been in socially acceptable in the US in about 100 hundred years.

Even in the 70's and very early 80's when media generally thought it was just fine and dandy to sexualize the heck out of actual 15 year olds and younger ( ex. Brooke Shields and her Calvins, Jodie Foster and others) actually doing it was the realm of people like Jerry Lee Lewis and Jake LaMotta who were considered little more than pariahs when it came out. Lamotta went to the slammer for it if I recall correctly.

R. Kelly didn't grow up in 1930's Arkansas. He isn't some recent African expatriate either. Dudes an American citizen with knowledge of what right and wrong are.

Dude knew what he was doing was fucked up or he wouldn't have paid Aaliyah's folks all that hush money so damn fast.
    Exactly and the people who support him aren't doing so because of cultural differences with mainstream America, they're just making excuses for him because he's a celebrity they like.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Honestly, R. Kelly is the only one that is even in the running with Lewis.

For starters, that incredibly young woman was related to him.

In addition, he shot a member of his band and might have murdered one of his wives.

If R. Kelly was anywhere near some of those pages out of Jerry Lee's playbook, he would already be in a graveyard somewhere.

Not to minimize that Kelly should most likely be in a cell somewhere, but Lewis is almost a whole other level.
    Oh, so before Suge Knight....America had Jerry Lee Lewis.

A video of Drake kissing and fondling a 17 year old girl has surfaced on Twitter

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/dra...ing-1831515061

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A video of Drake kissing and fondling a 17 year old girl has surfaced on Twitter

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/dra...ing-1831515061
    Not his first run in with this stuff. Dude is a groomer.

in before "but he was only 24 years old then so its not as creepy" excuse
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Exactly and the people who support him aren't doing so because of cultural differences with mainstream America, they're just making excuses for him because he's a celebrity they like.

Eh, this is the only part I partially disagree with. I definitely believe R Kelly knew what he was doing was wrong, just by the legal ramifications associated with dating a minor. There's a reason the joke went "16 will get you 20."

But while I do agree that some are making an excuse of him because he's a celebrity, I believe others don't see anything wrong because they think 14 years old are old enough to make their own decision. I don't believe it's an either or scenario.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Eh, this is the only part I partially disagree with. I definitely believe R Kelly knew what he was doing was wrong, just by the legal ramifications associated with dating a minor. There's a reason the joke went "16 will get you 20."

But while I do agree that some are making an excuse of him because he's a celebrity, I believe others don't see anything wrong because they think 14 years old are old enough to make their own decision. I don't believe it's an either or scenario.
    And those people are what my paternal grandmother would refer to as "Gutter."
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Invincible Member

I'm not so sure those people are making a cultural argument though. They may think that a teenager knows right from wrong but they don't think teenagers are mature. It's more that these are "bad kids" and deserve whatever they get. They're looking at these girls as "hoodrats" so who cares what what happens to them? These "fast" girls are out there drinking and fornicating anyway, who cares if a man twice their age is taking advantage of them? That's what some of these folks are thinking.